PDA

View Full Version : how do you compare to the pros

yegon
10-15-2004, 01:29 PM
This is a question to you better players that have had the experience of playing against the pros. What is it that sets them apart from you.

I do not know if I can make my question understabdable enough so I will give an example of an answer I am expectiong. I'd like to hear something like "I lost to Johny Archer because I made 3 pocketing errors in a race to 9" or "because he plays better position".

Of course I'd like to hear the resposnes of the good players, I know what I would write cause I can not even run the table.

dg-in-centralpa
10-15-2004, 05:14 PM
While I never played a pro, my second cousin used to go out on the road. In his younger days when he was sober and not high he was fantastic. But the years of booze and drugs burned him out. Last season, I beat him 11-7 throughout the season. He is still a good shooter that I can't let up on him, otherwise he'll run out on me.

DG - not close to a pro

cueball1950
10-15-2004, 07:13 PM
well i have played tony robles, frankie hernandez, and a host of other players on the joss tour. I am only a b player but it seems like their game is at a higher level than me. seems like they play better, beak better and have better control of the cueball. As they play shots for position that i cannot/won't play. so in a nut shell,,, they are just better. and i am man enough to admit it..........lol.......................mike

yegon
10-15-2004, 11:35 PM
thank you for your reply

as I am not from the US and I only get information about the tours from AZB I wonder if you could tell me what the overall level of play in the tournaments on the joss tour (or any other) is. I only read the results but do not get any information about the quality of the play. I wonder if it is like here where we have 5-8 really good guys that win most of the tournaments and can run out from anywhere, then there is 10% of really weak players and the rest plays a C or a B game, running a rack of 9ball only occasionally (once or twice a tourney for the better players)

Jimmy B
10-16-2004, 12:50 AM
Not well.

JB

Billy_Bob
10-16-2004, 07:33 AM
Usually I will miss just one shot, then it is all over! They run the table.

I have learned one thing though, don't assume you will lose before playing. It is possible to win against anyone. So do your best, don't let the best players intimidate you with their reputation. They do make mistakes. (It may only be one missed shot in 5 years or whatever, but it does happen! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Beaver
10-16-2004, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> running a rack of 9ball only occasionally (once or twice a tourney for the better players) <hr /></blockquote>
Hmm...just like me :P Greetings to Slovakia though..Im from Estonia.

Malice
10-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Reed Pierce beat me 3-0 once. I'd have to say the single biggest mistake I made was not winning the lag. He broke and ran all three racks, and I quit.

jjinfla
10-16-2004, 01:05 PM
I figure that I am right between Charlie Williams and Johnny Archer.

Charlie is 5'7" and Johnny is about 6'3"

I am 5'9"

Jake

cueball1950
10-16-2004, 05:35 PM
i would have to say that most of the players on the Joss Tour are usually B+ on up. I would seem to figure that there are about 20 players or so on any given tournament day that can win the event. You also get some weaker players that come out and donate their money just to support the tour and host room...players like me........lol...........what kind of equipment do you have over there? and what kind of cue do you use yourself? I am glad to have you on our board here at the CCB.... Maybe some year in Some september you might make it over here and come meet a great bunch of players at our anual tournament in virginia during the Open................mike

yegon
10-16-2004, 11:38 PM
I'd really like to come to the US to play, but that will have to wait a bit. I have only been training for a year and a half and am still waiting for my first break and run in 9ball. Still a plenty of work to do on my game till I can match up with you guys.

I am playing with a cheap cue that says Karella on it. I am very happy with it for now. The pool rooms here are not that great but we have fun playing nevertheless. I will get my own table next year so I will be able to train more and I expect to be ready for you in about 2 or 3 years so expect me to show up and make some noise breaking /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am happy to have found this forum, the information I get from here helps a lot. I am a bit overwhelmed at times though. All about the game seems to e new to me and I can not train all the things I found here, that would take 24 hours a day. Guess it gets better in some years.

Williebetmore
10-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Yegon,
It's good to hear pool is alive in Slovakia. I have relatives in Zdoba (near Kosice)and Olsevany, and I have always enjoyed visiting Slovakia.

I am lucky in being able to practice fairly regularly with some top professionals. I have also played some casual games with Danny DiLiberto, Monica Webb, and Johnny Archer. Though I play fairly well, the professionals are definitely a step above even the best amateur players. I think it is because of their relentless adherence to their pre-shot routine, relentless focus on making absolutely sure they pocket the object ball, and on the work ethic that allowed them to develop a repeatable stroke.

woody_968
10-17-2004, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr>
I am playing with a cheap cue that says Karella on it.<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Yegon, I used to sell cues in a pool room several years ago. I sold some Karella's, and while they are not an expensive cue they actually had a pretty good hit to them and they looked nice. Just thought I would give ya my oppinion as I wouldnt want you to think you were playing with a piece of #$%!# just because it was cheap /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yegon
10-17-2004, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr>
I am playing with a cheap cue that says Karella on it.<hr /></blockquote>

Hi Yegon, I used to sell cues in a pool room several years ago. I sold some Karella's, and while they are not an expensive cue they actually had a pretty good hit to them and they looked nice. Just thought I would give ya my oppinion as I wouldnt want you to think you were playing with a piece of #$%!# just because it was cheap /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

As I wrote I am very happy with the cue, it was not that cheap either, it just seems cheap in relation to the prices some of the fanatics on this forum have invested in their cues :-)

Chris Cass
10-17-2004, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Williebetmore:</font><hr> Yegon,
It's good to hear pool is alive in Slovakia. I have relatives in Zdoba (near Kosice)and Olsevany, and I have always enjoyed visiting Slovakia.

I am lucky in being able to practice fairly regularly with some top professionals. I have also played some casual games with Danny DiLiberto, Monica Webb, and Johnny Archer. Though I play fairly well, the professionals are definitely a step above even the best amateur players. I think it is because of their relentless adherence to their pre-shot routine, relentless focus on making absolutely sure they pocket the object ball, and on the work ethic that allowed them to develop a repeatable stroke. <hr /></blockquote>

Willie,

You said it best. Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C.

DeannaMichelle
10-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Well, the last time I played a pro, I won, 7-0.

Of course, did I mention that was in my dreams? (:

Byea lovelies!
Dea