PDA

View Full Version : Luther Lassiter Instructional Book

recoveryjones
10-16-2004, 10:09 PM
I was recentley in a 2nd hand book store and bought a 96 page Billiards instructional book called "Billiards for everyone" as taught by the legendary Luther Lassiter. In this book Luther shows the aspiring pool player the basics of pool.It is full of black and white pictures featuring Mr Lassiter.The book was printed in 1965.The book was in very good to excellent condition so I bought it along with 2 Bob Byrne books all at a great price.

My thinking is that it may some day (or already is) a collectors item.Does anyone else have this book?Are there any collectors of Billiards meorablilia out there?

The book has a picture of Luther's unique left handed fist bridge for left handed shots.He also explains his 4 finger cue hold as he didn't believe in gripping the cue but rather cradling it in the fingertips.I didn't learn much else from the book, however, enjoyed the classic B+W pictures throughout.

I heard that Luther Lassiter was one of the greatest 9 ball players of all time.Did anyone ever see him play? Does anyone have videos of him playing 9 ball? If so I'd like to check them out. RJ

Popcorn
10-16-2004, 10:49 PM
I think I have that book around somewhere. Does it have a picture of a kind of goofy looking family playing pool on the cover? I think you see him playing with a Martin cue in there.

recoveryjones
10-18-2004, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I think I have that book around somewhere. Does it have a picture of a kind of goofy looking family playing pool on the cover? I think you see him playing with a Martin cue in there. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes Popcorn,that's the book. RJ