PDA

View Full Version : Who buys 'Sneaky Pete's' and why?

SnakebyteXX
10-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Do folks actually use them to try and fool other players into thinking they're playing with a house cue? Does that really work?

Or are they good for other things? Like an 'all wood feel' for example?

Snake

TERP
10-17-2004, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>
Or are they good for other things? Like an 'all wood feel' for example? <hr /></blockquote>

That's why I like them; I learned to play by using a 'house cue' for years, so Ive grown attached to the all-wood feel /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I never liked all the fancy inlays and fancy paint jobs/stains on the more traditional sticks...don't like tigers and poker hands and beer bottles on my sticks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
10-17-2004, 07:59 AM
I don't think the Sneaky Pete really was ever meant to fool anyone into thinking it was a house cue. For me they have always been a fairly cheap better then average cue to play with in a bar. A cue you would not care that much about if something happened to it or it got stolen. The trouble now is they are no longer cheap. Many are actually custom built butts and not just converted house cues. This seem, at least for me, to defeat the point on having one. You pay as much as $400. for a cue that looks like it cost $60. At one time if you walked in with a Sneaky Pete it was an automatic knock, they assumed you were a player looking to play. I always preferred to play with a common mid range cue just like anyone else in the place may have. Your not trying to look like a idiot, you want to look like your average player who has enough interest in the game to own your own cue and may even bet a little if asked.

trailboss
10-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Like was already said, just a plain looking good hitting cue. I have a Nick Varner SP I bought for 70 and the hit and feel is so pure I would not sell it for double what I paid for it. I have a couple hi-dollar cues that can't touch it... for crisp hit and feel, It is my favorite cue!

Sid_Vicious
10-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Cost and relative performance to that line of cues was my first reason for getting one, now I find that when I pick one of my SPs to play with instead of my fancier cues, they play really well for me. All in all I agree with Popcorn, I use mine mainly for hitting the coin-ops and at family gatherings where you don't want everyone calling you a shark with a big stick. What I play with most of the time these days is a modestly decorated SP, it has 4 diamond inlays and a beautiful rosewood butt, hardly a true SP but still pleasantly beautiful without the glare. I still have my first Huebler SP, a super cue to play with, also a Falcon SP that is even better.

As far as the sneaky part, I'd agree that I could take a soft case and either the Heubler or the Falcon and not scare off many bar players. I could imagine the response I'd get if I took my 3-6 with the Prestige or the Viking or the Lucasi, etc, or even my Woodsworth SP, probably some leary competition, and especially dangerous environment for those cues when I ran to the bathroom or the bar.

Y'all got me wanting to hit some with my SPs now, thanks...sid

TERP
10-17-2004, 02:08 PM
I've been reading that a number of Predator SP owners also break with theirs and have had no problems whatsoever. Anyone of you sneaky petes sporting the SPWU?

Leviathan
10-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Some people prefer the non-slip feel of a wrapless butt.

Barbara
10-17-2004, 04:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>Or are they good for other things? <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, Santa got me my Ted Harris S/P because I was getting tired of bringing my Szamboti into the bar all the time.

Not tired of playing with it, mind you, but tired of breaking it down and putting it away after every game I played.

Barbara~~~will never get tired of that cue... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John_Madden
10-17-2004, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>probably some leary competition, and especially dangerous environment for those cues when I ran to the bathroom or the bar.<hr /></blockquote>
I have "lost" several cues over the years playing in bars and even high class rooms. I changed my attitude about leaving my cue. Take your cue with you when you go to the bar, bathroom, across the room, wherever you go. You won't be sorry you did, but you maybe if you "lost" your SP. Believe me, I know and was sorry.
John Madden
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

Snyder1
10-20-2004, 09:48 AM
I like the simplicity of a fine sneaky pete - traditional appeal.

RichardCranium
10-20-2004, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TERP:</font><hr>
don't like tigers and poker hands and beer bottles on my sticks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LOL.....Those are actually the Sneaky Pete of today..You see a guy with what looks like a house stick (with a joint) you already know to be on your guard but he is more than likely a player that does not want to mess up his "good" cue.......But Watch out for that guy sporting the Budwiser Cue!!!!!.....he is more likely to be the "hustler"

Chopstick
10-20-2004, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RichardCranium:</font><hr>

a player that does not want to mess up his "good" cue

<hr /></blockquote>

I use the Predator sneaky pete's. They play well enough, are relatively inexpensive, and are easily replaceable. If something happens to it I don't care. I just go get another one. I have a Jerry Franklin Southwest that never leaves the house.

GStrong
10-20-2004, 11:11 AM
I have a Meucci SP and I absolutely love it! I am not trying to hustle or shark anyone, but it doesn't draw any unneccessary attention to me either. I have had people ask me if they could use my cue to break with because they don't want to use there Players or Cuetec to break with... LOL. Anyway, I don't try to hide it and I am upfront with anyone that asks about it. I wouldn't change it for anything though!!!

Sid_Vicious
10-20-2004, 11:23 AM
"I have a Jerry Franklin Southwest that never leaves the house."

I guess I'm different but I don't believe I could ever own a cue and never take it out to play, I don't care what the name is on it. A cue that doesn't see daylight or the bar lights of a PH to me, is a waste unless you don't really play the game, just invest in cues....sid~~~his cues ALL will have time out in public

Cane
10-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Already been said, but...

I have a collection of expensive custom cues and don't like to take any of them to a bar, which is where most of our local and regional tournaments are played. I use the "nice" cues in my own pool room, but take the Sneaky Pete to the bars... if a drunk knocks it over and damages it (or steals it), it's not a huge loss. I'd be on a 9mm rampage if someone stole one of my other cues.

The one I use certainly would not "fool" anyone. Ebony butt with a black joint collar, but it's made by the maker of what I consider my best hitting cue, hits just as well, but not near as expensive, so it makes a great bar cue.

Bob

Sid_Vicious
10-20-2004, 12:55 PM
I suppose I am a bit spoiled in Dallas with all of the pool playing establishments, many, many are ritzy and even the mediocre ones I can take cues to, are certainly a step up from what much of "the rest of the world" must have to settle with for venues.

Naw I wouldn't carry several of my cues into the Holiday Inn lounge or to The Ranchouse Dancehall Saloon, but otherwise I play with which ever one strikes my fancy at the time of the outing, no matter it's stature in the billiard cue world...sid

SPetty
10-20-2004, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Dallas with all of the pool playing establishments, many, many are ritzy <hr /></blockquote>I guess I'm just going to the wrong places! I'm not sure I've ever seen a ritzy pool playing establishment in the Dallas area. Or maybe we have a different definition of ritzy? Can you name a few of the ritzy places?

Cane
10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Or maybe we have a different definition of ritzy? Can you name a few of the ritzy places? <hr /></blockquote>

Fox and Hounds, not far north of Richardson... aptly named, by the way! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sid, Just drive north a couple of hours and get across the Oklahoma/Texas border. There are places up here I'd only play pool with a baseball bat. You'd need it if you beat the local hero out of a couple of beers... goes something like this "Roadplayin', hustler somabatch! You ain't comin' in yhere (redneck for here) and takin' ar (redneck for OUR) beer muny!"

Bob

Sid_Vicious
10-20-2004, 03:58 PM
My concept of the generalization made aboout bars with careless drunks not being a good place to trust cues caused me to rank the local places as ritzy in comparison cuz frankly I don't worry that much about playing with any equipment in the ones I frequent. Now if I was an APA player hitting the local boxes I'd certainly be selective. As far as ritzy, Fox and Hound is a prime example, then there's Carsons, and I personally am happy with the safeness of any of the Clicks, which there are many in this area. I guess if you compared these houses to California or NY houses they may pale a bit, but certainly not enough to worry me when it came to cues in the case or to be left at home. You know what though...I'd much more prefer a pool place that SEEMS like the proverbial pool hall than a fancy, over priced, meat market joint, and that's what is wanting to pop up more and more I look around. Give me a place that rings out mild chattering/woofing between players and the sound of balls colliding, take away the velvet and over stuffed waiters and waitresses, and make it acceptable to my wallet and I am happy.

Sorry I got off of the subject, but I think in comparison to Oklahoma/TX border PHs, most of the DFW houses which favor 8 and 9 foot tables, not the barboxes, are ritzy IMO...sid

rah
10-21-2004, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> Do folks actually use them to try and fool other players into thinking they're playing with a house cue? Does that really work?

Or are they good for other things? Like an 'all wood feel' for example?

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

Real hustlers go grab a broomstick to shoot with.

Sneaky Petes are for people who don't want to spend a lot of money.

I can't see any advantage to wood on wood. There would be a tendency for the wood to get beat up if anything.

I have seen idiots pick up Sneaky Pete's thinking that they were a house cue and go use it for a break cue. Wonderful.

Personally, I wouldn't have one, but they are a good deal for the money.