PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shaft cleaner

B0B_PERKINS
10-17-2004, 12:04 PM
I recently purchased myself a new cue... a Predator 3K5 with Z shaft. I love the cue, hits great and since I've gone a couple ounces over my usual playing weight it seems to have added more than a little to the quality of my stroke.

What I've noticed is a distinct discolouration from the chalk which accentuates the spliced sections of the shaft. What I'm looking for are suggestions for the best available shaft cleaners. I've heard a fair bit about "Quick-Clean" not only for tables but also for shafts. The stuff seems kind of expensive but is it worth it? ...other suggestions? all opinions appreciated... Bob

trailboss
10-17-2004, 12:31 PM
Hey Bob, We use lighter fluid to clean the shaft, dry good then spray with pure silicone, seems to do the job without ill effects. On Cutec type shafts silicone seems to do it. Wait for more posts first! I might be doing it wrong!!!

Troy
10-17-2004, 12:35 PM
First, keep your hands clean.
Second, wipe down your shaft with a damp soft cloth and immediately rub down with a dry soft cloth.
Third, try Simple Green® diluted with 2-parts water on a soft cloth. Just dampen the cloth, wipe down the shaft, and immediately rub down with a dry soft cloth..
Or, try lighter fluid on a soft cloth.

I won't spend my money on those cue-specific products. Too much cost for the result, IMO.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote B0B_PERKINS:</font><hr> I recently purchased myself a new cue... a Predator 3K5 with Z shaft. I love the cue, hits great and since I've gone a couple ounces over my usual playing weight it seems to have added more than a little to the quality of my stroke.

What I've noticed is a distinct discolouration from the chalk which accentuates the spliced sections of the shaft. What I'm looking for are suggestions for the best available shaft cleaners. I've heard a fair bit about "Quick-Clean" not only for tables but also for shafts. The stuff seems kind of expensive but is it worth it? ...other suggestions? all opinions appreciated... Bob <hr /></blockquote>

HallofFame
10-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Did you purchase the cue NEW?

Predator has a little leaflet enclosed with their cues for their care. They suggest using rubbing alcohol on the shaft and Isopropyl alcohol for the joints. No sand paper or any type of abrasive.

Joe

kyle
10-17-2004, 02:45 PM
I have a 314 and found that it got stained easy also. I use a damp white cloth, place it in the microwave for 20-30 sec clean shaft and dry.

TommyT
10-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Try the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It works better than anything. Do a search in the CCB archives for more info.

TommyT

Barbara
10-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Bob,

Tommy referred to the "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser". This thing is awesome, BUT! I would recommend if/when you use it then go see a professional or reseal the shaft yourself afterward.

Barbara

stickman
10-17-2004, 08:07 PM
I use the shaft cleaner from Cue Man Billiards. I'm happy with it. I also use their shaft sealer. It makes it easy to keep the shaft clean after sealing it. www.cuesmith.com (http://www.cuesmith.com)

JimS
10-17-2004, 08:14 PM
Lighter fluid is the best thing I've tried and I've tried every suggestion in this thread and in several other threads. I'm a nut for having NO coloration and no dirt on the shaft or ferrule.

Ligher fluid works great. Perfect.

Sid_Vicious
10-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Barbara...What's happening to mine cleaned with the eraser without re-sealing? I've cleaned many and months are past,,,seems uneventfull so far.

Sid

Rod
10-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Bob

I use denatured alcohol on everything including the wrap. It cleans well but i'm not a real stickler on chalk stains. That magic eraser as mentioned really works. Wall Mart or other stores have them. Just barly damp with water does the job. It's under the mr clean brand name.

Rod

catscradle
10-18-2004, 05:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> Hey Bob, We use lighter fluid to clean the shaft, dry good then spray with pure silicone, seems to do the job without ill effects. On Cutec type shafts silicone seems to do it. Wait for more posts first! I might be doing it wrong!!! <hr /></blockquote>

FWIW, I've heard that silicone is BAD for wood. Cuetec hasn't wood as the outermost layer so that's different.

woody_968
10-18-2004, 10:00 AM
I also use the Mr Clean eraser and have been very happy with it. I just burnish the shaft with leather afterwards.

B0B_PERKINS
10-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Lots of good advice... I'll certainly check out the magic eraser and as a non-smoker it's good to know that lighter fluid has some more productive uses. Interesting though ... no ringing endorsements for the "Quick-Clean" products. ...Bob

Sid_Vicious
10-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Bob...I post prep with lighter fluid after the eraser. Just realize that as suggested that the eraser needs to be very, very slightly damp, otherwise you'll really notice a wet shaft. I also found that I use the sponge in small areas at a time, like waxing a car, and need to apply just a tad of force(I was cautiously gentle at first.) Once I get the shaft as clean as I think I can, I rush to warm the shaft by aggressively stroking it with a terry cloth towel, a pre-burnish to the actual leather burnish, ended by stroking it with a clean cloth and lighter fluid segment. Spin that dude in a spinning tool of choice and reburnish with the glossy side of the leather and it becomes a finished product...sid

JimS
10-18-2004, 09:03 PM
The Cue Clean powder is a gritty white stuff like Comet. I use it on very dirty shafts and it does a very good job. I've used the Cue Clean powder on maybe 25 shafts including some that were just plain filthy and I abhore dirty shafts...can't stand it. I gotta have the shaft completely clean and polished to a high luster without even a hint of a rough spot. The Cue Clean starts that process very well.

The shaft then needs to be dried and polished with 1000 or even 2000 grit sandpaper, or Cue Smooth papers and then maintained with lighter fluid and leather burnishing. I use the lighter fluid more as a daily cleaner to maintain the finish I've achieved with the polishing papers and leather burnishers...the leather burnisher doesn't remove any wood. That's a good thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jungledude51
10-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Itried magic earaser it it got my shaft cleaner than ever, but I've noticed the shaft gets wet easy after using the magic eraser and that's not good in this New Orleans humid climate. Probably work good in colder, drier claimate. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooltchr
10-19-2004, 04:12 AM
I would really burnish the shaft with a piece of leather after cleaning with the Eraser. In your case with such high humidity, you might want to find a good wood sealer to seal up the pours of the wood as well.
Steve

JimS
10-19-2004, 04:38 AM
The lighter fluid seems to help seal the wood and provide a polished surface after burnishing.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-19-2004, 05:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote B0B_PERKINS:</font><hr> Interesting though ... no ringing endorsements for the "Quick-Clean" products. ...Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Like JimS said, the Q-Clean is great for really dirty shafts but might be overkill for normal maintenance.

Most of the time a wipedown with a damp cloth and a dry cloth works for me. When necessary I use the damp Magic Eraser, then a dry cloth, then sand very, very lightly (just a few strokes) with the finest of the Q-Smooth papers.

If you use the coarser grades of the Q-Smooth papers they will, over time, decrease the radius of your shaft. I know this from experience /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nhp
10-19-2004, 05:58 AM
Pledge with no wax, hands down. Try it and you'll see what I mean, nothing beats it.

SpiderMan
10-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I had a similar experience. The magic eraser pulled a lot of stain out of the shaft, but at the expense of really raising the grain. I had to refinish the shaft to smooth out the fuzzies.

SpiderMan

RUNaRAK
10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
I'm with Woody as far as the Magic Eraser goes. I would not agree that you need to have your shaft sealed after using it. I only burnish mine with a piece of leather after using the M.E. and it is good as new. I have used this product on several very high end cues and have had ZERO issues. Works great for me..

nhp
10-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Isn't magic eraser just plain rubbing alcohol??

Rod
10-19-2004, 03:24 PM
No, it has no alcohol.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-20-2004, 05:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Isn't magic eraser just plain rubbing alcohol?? <hr /></blockquote>

It's a synthetic sponge with very small cells. I think someone said it was made of melamine (a polymer).

http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclean/products/eraser.shtml

nhp
10-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Ahh...I was thinking of that stuff you spray on those boards to clean off the marker. Well, being that Pledge is the best cue cleaner out there has anyone tried Pledge (with no wax) on a magic eraser to clean their shaft?