PDA

View Full Version : Table Advice

Knyte260
10-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I've read every possible thing there is to read about peoples opinions on the top tables in the market, but I decided I'd post a thread as some of the things I read were archived and quite old.

I have been playing for about a year, and pretty intensely for the last 6 months. Usually play 6 nights a week, atleast 4 hours on a table per night but usually more. I'm pretty mindset on putting a table in my basement, and already removed a bar and moved a pole to accomodate a 9 foot.

I would like to get the best possible deal out there, even if I need to wait, on the best possible table. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to a Gold Crown I/II/IV, Diamond Pro with relaxed cut pockets, or a Gabriels signature pro. Whatever I end up getting, my NUMBER ONE concern is that it plays LIKE NEW. If this means I absolutely must buy new, please tell me. I don't want to buy a used Gold Crown and have it roll off on me. This concern has made me very sketchy on buying an older used Gold Crown.

I like the Diamond professional, but I don't feel right buying a brand new one, and there seems to be VERY few of these tables used in good condition out there. Maybe someone can chime in on that. I live around Philadelphia PA, and I believe the Valley Forge Billiard Expo is headed to my area this spring. Do you think that I will be able to pick a table up then possibly from Brunswick or Diamond? I want to get a deal on a table so that if I ever need to resell, I can atleast get 60-80% of my money back. I figure if I buy BRAND new, I may only be able to resell for 50% of my money back.

-Chris

PS: As far as my opinion on the pockets, I have strongly made my mind up that I do NOT want to play on a tight shimmed table. I don't necessarily want buckets either, but I want to make sure I'm potting a high percentage of balls so that my confidence builds faster and stronger. Since I'm going to be playing a ton on this table, I want to enjoy my time playing. Diamond relaxed cut is supposedly tighter than a one shim gold crown, right? If I were to get a Gold Crown, I'd use 2 shims, which is relatively tight but not entirely unforgiving. My local pool hall Drexeline Billiards luckily has a mix of double / triple shim tables, so I'm used to tighter than average pockets.

Rich R.
10-18-2004, 03:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Knyte260:</font><hr> I'm pretty mindset on putting a table in my basement, and already removed a bar and moved a pole to accomodate a 9 foot. <hr /></blockquote>
I can see removing the pole, but, are you sure you should have removed the bar? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, making a used table play like new is mostly based on the set up. First make sure the rubber in the rails doesn't need to be replaced and then make sure you have a top quality mechanic, to set it all up for you. Of course, you want to use new cloth, preferably, Simonis 860, IMHO.

A new table can play like crap, if it is not set up properly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-18-2004, 05:55 AM
They usually have a pro tourney at Valley Forge. I would assume they sell those tables after the event.

Does anyone know?

JimS
10-18-2004, 07:20 AM
Write/call Diamond. www.diamondbilliard.com (http://www.diamondbilliard.com)

Barbara
10-18-2004, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> They usually have a pro tourney at Valley Forge. I would assume they sell those tables after the event.

Does anyone know? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes Wally, the table people are always looking to sell the tables used in the tourny after the tourny is over. That way, they don't have to haul them back with them. Some pretty good deals can be made at that time, too. And since Chris is right in the Expo area, all he has to do is grab a pick-up truck to take one away. Plus, someone to help with the slate would help. Each piece weighs 200 pounds.

Barbara

Troy
10-18-2004, 07:51 AM
The ends of each rail rubber should have at least ONE shim. It's there to protest the rubber. a SINGLE shim is standard. I suggest you measure the opening on tables you like -- measure from point-to-point on the corner pockets -- then duplicate that measurement.
Sounds like 2 5/8" would make you happy. Two balls will pass.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Knyte260:</font><hr> .....Diamond relaxed cut is supposedly tighter than a one shim gold crown, right? If I were to get a Gold Crown, I'd use 2 shims, which is relatively tight but not entirely unforgiving. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
10-18-2004, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> ...pockets -- then duplicate that measurement.
Sounds like 2 5/8" would make you happy. Two balls will pass....

<hr /></blockquote>

I think you meant 4 5/8" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
10-18-2004, 08:55 AM
DUH !!! Stupid keyboard... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yes, 4 5/8".

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> ...pockets -- then duplicate that measurement.
Sounds like 2 5/8" would make you happy. Two balls will pass....

<hr /></blockquote>

I think you meant 4 5/8" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Knyte260
10-18-2004, 11:30 AM
Yes, I am probably going to have either the one, or most likely two of those standard sized shims. I want about exactly two balls to pass, not much more room than that. Whats the diameter of a pool ball?

I'll definately get in touch with Diamond.

Chris

Wally_in_Cincy
10-18-2004, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Knyte260:</font><hr> .. Whats the diameter of a pool ball?
<hr /></blockquote>

2 1/4"

Knyte260
10-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Oh, about the "bar" and pole. The pole was supporting a support beam, and I had that moved. The bar was an actual 10 foot long bar with bar stools that was in my basement, but taking from the required 15 feet of width I want for the table. I had it demolished to make room.

Troy
10-18-2004, 02:09 PM
Yup, balls are 2.25". "Exactly two balls" would be 4.5" corner pockets. This is about a "double shim" with "standard" length rails (each shim is about 1/8" thick).

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Knyte260:</font><hr> Yes, I am probably going to have either the one, or most likely two of those standard sized shims. I want about exactly two balls to pass, not much more room than that. Whats the diameter of a pool ball?

I'll definately get in touch with Diamond.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

Knyte260
10-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Ok guys, I'm looking at a couple Diamonds... and I'm thinking about possibly a 1 piece slate 9 foot ProAm model. I don't much like the design, it sort of looks more like an oversized barbox than an elegant "Professional" but what do you all think?

By the way, anyone here have much to comment on the differences in K55 or K66 Artemis rubber?

Ives
10-18-2004, 04:38 PM
1 Piece slate? man, hope you never have to move that thing to another house. Is this a new table that someones going to deliver and set up or are you calling in favors to help you move it? Each piece of a 3 piece slate is minimum 200 lbs, do the math.

Plus, if you don't like the looks of the table, are you sure you really want it. Make sure you get something your going to be happy with, somethings are worth the wait /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Luck

Troy
10-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Why would you want a one piece slate ??? I think it is probably thinner than a table with a 3-piece slate.

The Artemis K66 cushion has the same nose height as any other K66 cushion. The thing you have to worry about is if your pool is made for Brunswick Superspeed cushions because they are a K55 profile cushion. Most pool tables are equiped with K66 so going from K66 to K55 would be a bit different. Diamond tables come with K66 as far as I know.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Knyte260:</font><hr> Ok guys, I'm looking at a couple Diamonds... and I'm thinking about possibly a 1 piece slate 9 foot ProAm model. I don't much like the design, it sort of looks more like an oversized barbox than an elegant "Professional" but what do you all think?

By the way, anyone here have much to comment on the differences in K55 or K66 Artemis rubber? <hr /></blockquote>

Knyte260
10-18-2004, 04:53 PM
So K55 is what I want? I want my pool game to play as close to possible on a Gold Crown, if I'm not buying a gold crown.

All Diamonds come with Artemis K55. K55 is a profile name? (Height?)

The slate is 1 piece, 1 inch. ProAm model. I'm a bigger fan of the Professional.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Why would you want a one piece slate ??? I think it is probably thinner than a table with a 3-piece slate.

The Artemis K66 cushion has the same nose height as any other K66 cushion. The thing you have to worry about is if your pool is made for Brunswick Superspeed cushions because they are a K55 profile cushion. Most pool tables are equiped with K66 so going from K66 to K55 would be a bit different. Diamond tables come with K66 as far as I know.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Knyte260:</font><hr> Ok guys, I'm looking at a couple Diamonds... and I'm thinking about possibly a 1 piece slate 9 foot ProAm model. I don't much like the design, it sort of looks more like an oversized barbox than an elegant "Professional" but what do you all think?

By the way, anyone here have much to comment on the differences in K55 or K66 Artemis rubber? <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

JimS
10-19-2004, 04:49 AM
I have the Diamond Pro w/3 pc slate and I recommend it highly. The people at Diamond are pool players and they designed the table for pool players. The pockets are 4 1/2 to 4 5/8 depending on how you measure with fairly deep shelves. Get what ever wood you want but get the Pro...if like you say you want it to play like a GC. Be prepared to be frustrated at time because it is not an easy table to play on.

#### leonard
10-19-2004, 05:28 AM
Barb, in my day I would move slates and I was only 5ft7 and 120 lbs, of course my nickname was "Mighty Mouse" when doing Man uell Labor.####

Wally_in_Cincy
10-19-2004, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> ...Get what ever wood you want but get the Pro......

Be prepared to be frustrated at time because it is not an easy table to play on. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Were you listening? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Knyte260:</font><hr>

...I do NOT want to play on a tight shimmed table. I don't necessarily want buckets either, but I want to make sure I'm potting a high percentage of balls so that my confidence builds faster and stronger....
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I would not mind playing on a Diamond Pro every day. They are great tables. But if I did I'm afraid my high run might never get higher /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Rich R.
10-19-2004, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <font color="blue">I would not mind playing on a Diamond Pro every day. They are great tables. But if I did I'm afraid my high run might never get higher /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color> <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, your high run would get higher,
every time you went to your local pool room and played on a GC. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I too would love a Diamond Pro, if I had someplace to put it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric.
10-19-2004, 08:20 AM
I have a used Gold Cr II. I had new rails put on and Simonis 860 put on by a good table mechanic. It played great (it's in storage until I move). I put aprox. $2800 into it, total. Like others have mentioned, you could wait til March and buy a brand new table (1 tourneys worth of use) at the VF expo in March for around $4000. It'll probably be a GC IV. If you want a Diamond, you might get a deal at the Derby City Classic in January. You can buy it after the tourney.

I don't know what you looking for i.e. specific table, price or just any table that plays very good. Personally, I'll take the GC or Diamond. If you have it set up right, either one will be hard to beat.

Eric

Fred Agnir
10-19-2004, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Diamond tables come with K66 as far as I know.
<hr /></blockquote>K55, as far as I know.

Fred