PDA

View Full Version : X-mas shopping for a drug addict

landshark77
10-18-2004, 07:19 AM
I know it is still a bit early, but I like to have an idea of what I buy family members for the holidays in advanced. My sister and her worthless boyfriend are both serious drug addicts. I have NO idea of what to get them, as anything will go towards their drug use. Cash is out. Gift certificates have a street value. They have no bills that I could pay for them. I can not get them anything that is pawnable. Clothing items can be taken back to the store. Last year they actually had an apartment of their own, so I bought them a vacum cleaner. They don't have it anymore. I guess pawn shops will take anything, if not a crackhead will, LOL. Anyone have any ideas?

SpiderMan
10-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Send them to get their teeth cleaned. BTW, since they no longer have an apartment, are they living on the street?

SpiderMan

landshark77
10-18-2004, 07:56 AM
Yeah, the teeth cleaning thing is a nice idea, but I doubt they would use it. They may need it when they get clean though, LOL. No they do not live on the street.

And please guys, this is a serious question. Please do not make fun of my sister. I don't trust her for anything and she is an addict, but she is my sister...you know?

nhp
10-18-2004, 07:58 AM
What kind of drugs are they taking? Has your sister ever expressed the desire to quit?

Troy
10-18-2004, 08:01 AM
I understand the situation.
Having her teeth cleaned is a good idea. Make the appointment for her and
TAKE HER TO THE DENTIST !!!
Another thought might be to enroll her in de-tox and deliver her to the place.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Yeah, the teeth cleaning thing is a nice idea, but I doubt they would use it. They may need it when they get clean though, LOL. No they do not live on the street.

And please guys, this is a serious question. Please do not make fun of my sister. I don't trust her for anything and she is an addict, but she is my sister...you know? <hr /></blockquote>

Ives
10-18-2004, 08:11 AM
At the risk of sounding completely corny, just be there for them when they need you. Gifts don't have to be of monetary value, they can be as simple as letting them know theres help for them when they need it and that they have a family that cares. One thing that might not seem like a big deal to most but means alot to some is a nice home cooked meal.
Anyways , good luck from someone who's been on both sides of this fence.
Ives

Wally_in_Cincy
10-18-2004, 08:19 AM
ls,

I am sorry about your plight. I have a former step-daughter (who was raised by me and her mother) in the same situation (heroin, Oxy). The last thing I bought her was 4 bags of groceries.

I have not seen my 18-month-old "grandson" for almost 6 months.

be strong.

landshark77
10-18-2004, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> What kind of drugs are they taking? Has your sister ever expressed the desire to quit? <hr /></blockquote>

Heroin. They have been doing it for quite sometime. I'm not sure how long they have been shooting up, but they started by sniffing it. She now has needle marks on her arm, so despite her denials, it is evident that thery ARE using needles. I think they have done the Oxy too and Acid. But the H is the big thing. In WV you can not commit someone against their will. They can leave treatment AT anytime. When she was 17 my mom was trying to get her into treatment but to no avail, as the same rules apply to minors. When they lost their apartment my mom said she could come home IF she were to get treatment. She agreed, and this was a big deal, as her boyfriend was dead set against it, because "she doesn't have a problem". After an evaluation the doctor wouldn't let her into the program because he felt that it wouldn't do her any good because she was not ready to quit. (I work with this doctor, and had I known before hand I prob. could have talked him in to admitting her, but now it is too late as she denies she is even doing it, LOL) My mom and her boyfriend's mom help to contribute as they give them money, food, and a place to stay. The boyfriend's mom might even be on the stuff too, I'm not sure. Anyway, I WILL help her once she is serious about being clean, but not before hand and she knows it. If there is something she needs I will buy it for her, and not give her the money for it. And this is only serious stuff that she NEEDS. She has called numerous times requesting loans and has all kinds of excuses as to why she needs stuff, but those calls stopped about a year ago.

Anyway guys, thanx for the ideas. I like the grocery one the best. She wouldn't go to the dentist now, my mom even tried that one, LOL.

crawdaddio
10-18-2004, 11:13 AM
I am deeply saddened to hear that Landshark. I tried HARD, to no avail, to get a girlfriend of mine to quit. It is a horrible situation.

As far as a gift, I like the groceries idea, or take her out for a nice meal.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if my sister is using hard drugs it is my JOB to get her clean. I don't care what it takes, she is my sister, and she will NOT kill herself with drugs. If necessary, I'd quit my job, take her and move somewhere else (away from her boyfriend), and not let her out of my site until she was clean and well, my sister again. I have lost too many friends to this sh$! to let it happen to my sister.

That being said, I don't know you, your sister or the difficult specifics of your situation, but I know how hard it is to watch this happen to someone you love. I sincerely wish you luck and clarity. For Christmas, just make SURE she knows that you love her, and HATE what is happening to her.

Peace
~DC

landshark77
10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crawdaddio:</font><hr>
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if my sister is using hard drugs it is my JOB to get her clean. I don't care what it takes, she is my sister, and she will NOT kill herself with drugs. If necessary, I'd quit my job, take her and move somewhere else (away from her boyfriend), and not let her out of my site until she was clean and well, my sister again. I have lost too many friends to this sh$! to let it happen to my sister.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, I agree with you to a point. Fact though is, you can not FORCE someone to do something they don't wanna do. I am a social worker and know TONS of resources that are available that she could access, and she knows this. I can NOT let her problem tear apart my life as well. When she is ready I'll be there for her, but I can NOT kidnap her and hold her against her will, junkies have rights too.

nhp
10-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Landshark people on this drug rarely express a desire to quit. Oxycontin is just 1 chemical shy of Heroin, so it's basically the same thing. In the midwest and south, oxycontin has become a very popular drug. They break the seal off the capsule, cook it like heroin, and shoot it up. It's amazing how the pharmaceuticals who make these drugs let it run rampant like that. All they care about is money. If you really pay attention, the opiates are really taking over the drug world, as they are supposed to be. Opiates are the most addictive, anything from Heroin all the way down to something as "harmless" as a Vicodin. They are all addictive, and when addicted, you get physically sick when you don't have the drug in your system for a while. People cannot just "quit" doing heroin, oxycontin, morphine, codeine, vicodin, if they have doing it for a long time. The withdraw symptoms are supposedly so bad and so painful that it's unbearable. People who are addicted to opiates must seek help and be detoxed, but they have to have a will to do it, and that is very hard to find. I hope you the best, perhaps you can show your sister what happens to heroin and oxycontin addicts when they take it for a long time. People can become addicted to heroin after just 2 uses. That's how strong the stuff is. Please do all the research you can and figure out a way to get help for your sister.

Rod
10-18-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm not familiar with Oxycontin but Heroin is super addictive. It wont take long on that stuff and there hooked good.(which they are) No getting out without a lot of help and detox like you mentioned. Or something very serious happens to them before they hit bottom. With drugs this is very possible.

Good luck LS your family has a long road to travel.

Rod

nhp
10-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Oxycontin is a prescription drug for severe pain. It is basically the same thing as heroin when you cook it and shoot it up. Oxycontin has a coating on it that gives it a time-release, so that you don't get too much at once. People abuse it by getting rid of the coating and taking the pill orally, or crushing it up, and cooking it like heroin and then injecting it. It is severely addictive, just as bad as heroin. All prescription painkillers that are opiates are very addictive. This includes Vicodin, Lorecet, Codeine, Tylenol 3, and a ton of other drugs. Vicodin is probably the weakest of them all, but if you take the stuff long enough you can become powerfully addicted, and you go thru similar withdraw symptoms like that of heroin, but not as severe. Vicodin withdraw is severe enough that you usually need to seek help, or go thru detox, because the withdraw can last over a week. Vicodin is probably the most widely abused prescription drug out there, because it is so easy to get, and it is so addictive. Not only does it relieve pain, but it also gets rid of all of your stress and anxiety, and you feel great. For the first 2 months when I came back from the Army after my back injury, I was prescribed vicodin. When they cut my supply off, going thru withdraw was a living hell. I sure am glad they cut my supply off, because I really enjoyed taking the stuff to be honest, but it can cause severe damage to your liver. I did alot of research on these drugs, and have heard of people that take 20-50 vicodin pills per day, and they have been on the stuff for years.

landshark77
10-19-2004, 06:14 AM
Thank you nhp for your background info regarding the drugs. I too am very familiar with how diffrent drugs affect you and how great the addiction is. Your insight to the oxy was very helpful. I did not realize how similar to the H it was. The general area that I live in is very big in heroin. There are alot of addicts, treatment options, Methodone clinics, ect... I think the only opertunity for her to get help at this point in time is if she were thrown in jail, but she hasn't broken the law yet so that will be hard to do.

Thank you for everyone's help.

Rich R.
10-19-2004, 07:17 AM
I work with a women, whose son had hip replacement surgery.
The doctor prescribed Oxycontin, but, before giving him the prescription, the doctor told him, up front, that he would have to go to a detox facility when it was time to get off of it.
Sounds like some real nasty stuff to me.