PDA

View Full Version : Thorburn

kyle
10-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I just finished reading the article on Alex P. They keep on mentioning Paul Thornley but the picture of Thornley is Cliff Thorburn isn't it?

Nostroke
10-18-2004, 10:29 PM
I get those two guys mixed up myself. Pool mags are full of errors. If that is the new BD you are talking about, the very first thing i read in it (the ask the ref thing) had a glaring error. They need me as an editor but they just dont realize it.

recoveryjones
10-18-2004, 10:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kyle:</font><hr> I just finished reading the article on Alex P. They keep on mentioning Paul Thornley but the picture of Thornley is Cliff Thorburn isn't it? <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know what picture you are refering to however, I do know that Alex and Cliff were hanging out together and playing some snooker.Alex took quite an intrest in Snooker and Cliff was a former world champion and now a nine ball player as well. They also teamed up in last years border battle challenge on the Canadian team vs the USA.

Based on that, I'd venture to guess that it was in fact Cliff Thorburn in that picture with Alex, especially if the photo was a recent one. RJ

kyle
10-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Sorry the picture in the article on BD home page (magazine I assume aswell) it's on page 4 or 5. First page he's singing kareoke with Barry Hearn.

thecardman
10-19-2004, 02:57 PM
The picture you refer to IS of Alex with "The Grinder", Cliff Thorburn.

Kind of difficult for me not to know who he is considering that he was on of the regulars in the snooker scene on British TV right through the 1980s.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pro9dg
10-23-2004, 01:43 PM
It is Cliff Thorburn. The veteran Canadian played in the 2004 WPC in Taiwan. The pic wih Barry Hearn was taken at the Peace Jazz Club in Teipei City and the occasion was the party throw for Alex P hours after he won the World title. No Barry wasn't singing 'Money, Money, Money'. But if you ever turn up at a pool players karaoke bash, listen out for Stefan Sellberg from Finland, commentator Bob Guerrero and WPC Qualifier organiser Brenda Smith. They can all hit the high notes.