PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite 9 ball drill(s)

recoveryjones
10-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Here's a favourite 9 ball drill(below) of mine.The reason I like it is that it teaches you how crucial it is to maintain your angle, speed control etc for the next ball.If you are shooting this drill properly, one rail shape is all that you'll require.No rail draw and stop shots also come into play.If you get off line there are variety of two rails shots to get you back on line. The reason it's good for nine ball, is that a lot of shape shots require you to return near or across the center of the table which is quite common in the game of nine ball.

Take ball in hand and try to run the 1 -12 balls in numerical order.After you make the 12 ball, try to get good posistion on the 1 ball and keep the run going.

It took me several tries to run a rack of 12, however, now I'm finding it a lot easier.I've sure learned a lot of recovery shots.My record is 38 balls in a row.Feel free to give it a try.

START(
%Ag5Z6%BN8D5%Cg5X8%DN8F2%Eg5V6%FN7H0%Gg4D3%HO0Z5%I g4F0%JO0X7
%Kg4G8%LO0W0%MB5\2%NB4\1%OB5\3%P\3T8
)END

Footnote: The three ball sequence at the bottom left of the table from the rail to the table center are the 8,10 and 12.

Using the Wei table, I'd be interested to see some of your favorite 9 ball drills.An explanation of how they help your 9 ball game would be cool.RJ

Rod
10-18-2004, 10:40 PM
RJ,

That's a good drill but I would limit it to going off the long rails only. Just like the standard X drill.

Rod

recoveryjones
10-18-2004, 10:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> RJ,

That's a good drill but I would limit it to going off the long rails only. Just like the standard X drill.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

If you are hitting the balls perfect, one rail(long rails) are the way to go.Anything else is a recovery shot, however, those recovery shots are good to learn. RJ

ps. Got a good drill for us Rod...LOL,What's the standard X drill? RJ

Rod
10-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Oh I thought you would know RJ, sorry. In rotation a ball width from the rail. Just 4 balls. If you want to increase the difficulty move them down to the first diamond. Or if you want them even more testy put them all on the third diamond. You can move the c/b to start except for the first routine starts at center table. You can only hit one long rail. START(
%Ag5D9%BO1Y7%CO0E1%Dg6Y7%EB5[8%FC0[9%GB3[9%HB3[8%IB6[5%JB1\1
%KB9[9%LB4[7%MB7[5%NB8[9%OB6\3%P[4N1
)END

Rod

stickman
10-19-2004, 01:23 AM
I don't know if it's a drill or simply a practice strategy, since the balls are not setup in a defined position or order. I started out randomly throwing out a number of sequential balls. Start with 4 for instance. When you can consistantly run 4 balls, go to 5. etc., until you can consistantly run all 9. I don't consistantly run all nine yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif If I blow a shot, I reset the shot, and do it over.

jungledude51
10-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Mississippi nine ball which can be seen in precision pool
book. Bringing the cue out to the middle of the table on evry shot teaches you not to get straight in on balls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jjinfla
10-19-2004, 07:41 AM
That is a nice drill. But only one of many that Steven W. Campana lists in his book "Black Belt Billiards.

Your variation puts the balls at the 2nd diamond while Stve shows them at the 1st diamond.

It is a great book.

Jake

Chopstick
10-19-2004, 11:45 AM
OK. Here's one I am currently working. When you set it up it doesn't look like there's much trouble there. The one and two are straight across from each other. So are the four and five and the seven and eight. The three and six must go in the side pockets they are in front of. The three is across the center line so you have to get past it to the other end of the table to make it. The six is out past the first diamond line. The reason it's out that far is to cause trouble coming off the two and five. The balls by the rails are about a half an inch out.

If you contact another ball other than the ball you are shooting at you have to start over. You are playing a race to five with a ghost player who always runs out. Miss a ball, ghost wins. Contact another ball while playing shape, ghost wins. Can't make a ball in it's assigned pocket, you know. I have been to the hill with the ghost but I haven't won yet.

START(
%Ag5Z3%Bp1I1%CY5Y9%DF8Z6%ED2H9%F[1J8%Go6D4%Hr3V2%ID5T3%PU4U8

)END

Chris Cass
10-19-2004, 12:16 PM
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

yegon
10-19-2004, 01:02 PM
I am currently working on this one

START(
%AH4H9%Bm8C9%Cn0Z9%D[2O9%Eg6O5%FO0O4%GC7V1%HC6I2%Ir9O6%PJ4M8

)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/preset/9ball.html

I can run it occasionally but nowhere near the 75% that is needed as my instructor told me. Actually I am quite happy if I can run it once out of 20 attempts :-)

well I am working on my game :-) it's just gonna get better

jjinfla
10-20-2004, 05:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> OK. Here's one I am currently working. When you set it up it doesn't look like there's much trouble there. The one and two are straight across from each other. So are the four and five and the seven and eight. The three and six must go in the side pockets they are in front of. The three is across the center line so you have to get past it to the other end of the table to make it. The six is out past the first diamond line. The reason it's out that far is to cause trouble coming off the two and five. The balls by the rails are about a half an inch out.

If you contact another ball other than the ball you are shooting at you have to start over. You are playing a race to five with a ghost player who always runs out. Miss a ball, ghost wins. Contact another ball while playing shape, ghost wins. Can't make a ball in it's assigned pocket, you know. I have been to the hill with the ghost but I haven't won yet.

START(
%Ag5Z3%Bp1I1%CY5Y9%DF8Z6%ED2H9%F[1J8%Go6D4%Hr3V2%ID5T3%PU4U8

)END <hr /></blockquote>

Small world chopstick. I set up that drill for the first time yesterday. I got out of line real fast but didn't get a chance to work on it. It seems people don't believe me when I tell them I don't want to "play" and just want to practice. And since I live in a "gated" community if I don't play with them then I am considered a snob. Such is life here in the land of the living dead (retirees). I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone told me they never heard of "ball in hand". What do you think of the book?

Jake

Chopstick
10-20-2004, 07:41 AM
I bought the Kinister videos on creating angles. This one is the first one on the intermediate tape. There are more difficult patterns on the next tape. I like working on the different patterns more than just setting balls up in a line. I finally beat the ghost at this one last night. I think that this style of practice more closely simulates actual match play.

As far as results, in my Monday night match my opponent actually did forget where they left their stick the last time they had a shot.

rah
10-21-2004, 08:57 AM
After a bad practice session of 9 ball, I like to slam the 9 ball anyway I can LOL.

Ives
10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
The only real drills that i would say i do is run through every shot from the book "99 critical shots" at least 20 times each. I do this 2 nights a week. Other than that i practice by just racking up a nine ball rack and play against myself. If i don't have a clean shot than i try to play safe against myself. Then try to kick out of it. Probably not the best way to practice but it keeps my practice session interesting. I'll try some of the drills listed here.

Leviathan
10-21-2004, 03:44 PM
I use this drill to correct my stroke when it goes bad, as it often does. I sometimes shoot this drill for 2 or 3 hours at a time.

Set-up for drill:

START(
%AN8O5%BL7P8%CK5P0%DL7N1%EM7P1%Fk8N4%Gj2N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6N7
%Kk6P0%Lh2N7%Mj6M3%Ni5P1%Oi0L9%Pk1W2%Qj3V6%RN8H8%S J8F8%Tf0T4
%WD8D3%Xs5[4%eB4b0
)END

Wei table:

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

The first shot is from A, to pocket an ob located at position B. The second shot is from C, to pocket an ob located at position D. The third shot is a repetition of the first; the fourth shot is a repetition of the second--and so on. You're just shooting back and forth from corner to corner.

I find that I miss a lot of long, straight-in shots when I'm careless with stroke fundamentals. When I'm handling this drill well, I execute the long, straight-in shots better--and the rest of my game seems to go up a couple of clicks at the same time.

AS

1on1pooltourneys
10-21-2004, 09:08 PM
This is a good practice drill. Try doing it with the balls slightly off the rails and when you master that, try and do it with the balls frozen on the rail. Of course, shoot the balls in rotation starting with ball in hand on the 1 ball.

A pro player showed me this drill.
START(
%AZ9X6%BN8Z9%Cg5D0%DO0C8%Eg0Z9%FO1O5%Gg3O4%HC6O8%I r5O4%Jt4\0
%KB7C0%L[2B4%MB4\3%N[1B3%Ot5B9%PZ2U1
)END