PDA

View Full Version : November Issue of BD

9 Ball Girl
10-19-2004, 09:50 AM
No, I haven't received it yet but I noticed that Gabe Owen didn't make the mag cover as the newest U.S. Open Champ. I thought that win was mag cover worthy. Especially since Gabe, before his win, wasn't really one of those big names like Archer, Morris, Reyes, etc. I thought others made the cover.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-19-2004, 09:58 AM
That's a shame

Instead, they have a pic of...

POOL TABLES !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would wager Inside Pool will have him on the cover.

JimS
10-19-2004, 01:59 PM
I'm grateful to BD for this site but....I consider BD more of an industry mag and IP more of a pool players mag. I do think that BD has become more pool player conscious since IP has become more and more popular.

Chris Cass
10-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Hi Jim,

I used to just have my favorites too. It started with Billiards News, P&B and then, BD. After IP came out it was IP, Billiards News and then, BD. Now, it's IP, BD, Billiards News, Professor QBall and I've totally dropped the P&B.

I see BD coming into the picture with IP. It made me laugh when I heard someone say that P&B was IP' competition. IP doesn't have to sweat anything over P&B mag. P&B isn't even in the running. If I were IP I wouldn't worry about any other pub but BD. BD is coming along well.

It's IP' staff that makes it so good. Great staff there. Love Sally, RJ, and the rest of the bunch. Great people and good writing. imho Professor QBall mag is the next Billiards News. The guys a magician too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Nostroke
10-19-2004, 03:54 PM
You are so right Chris. After eading this months P & B, I was going to start a thread about just what a hunka crap it has become. It is just useless cept to start a fire maybe. I dont subscribe anymore but they keep sending it. Im sure they have to give it away in order to keep the numbers up.

This months Cover Story 'Minnesota Fats-The Player' i thought was going to be a good story. The Title is totally misleading and it was poorly written and uninteresting. I thoroughly hated it!

Ill bet anyone even money they are out of business within a year. Nits only-Im no high roller

JimS
10-19-2004, 06:36 PM
I took Professer Q Ball for a year or two but let it run out when my interest in pool ran out for a while there...off of getting burned out on league etc and no where else to play.

Does each issue lean quite a bit towards 3 cushion news? Seems like I felt like I wasn't getting much out of it and maybe that was about the time IP was just coming out and I became a charter subscriber of that.... and I was taking BD and P&B and American Cueist and a news letter/paper from the northwest...ccan't remember the name of that one but it was good to. Anyway something had to go /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Might want to revisit that decision to drop Pro QBall

Chris Cass
10-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Hi Nostroke,

I know all the staff except for Paul at P&B mag. I've known Harold for yrs and his daughter Sheri Staunch(sp). The one son younger than Eric does the illistrations. He's truely gifted with talent as a artist. He does all the cover work and young to boot.

I know Jerry Kanov and known him for yrs. Nice guy and quiet. Good player. He'd never go out unless he was hitting his best. Good rep as a player. Bigtime thinker with eyes like the devil. lol

Mark Haddad is or was a reporter. Mark I've known much better than most maybe except his Dad. I liked his Dad and played with him a lot. Mark is very nice and I get along well with him.

P&B is a great mag but it's not geared anymore to the pool player. Maybe 7 pages and looks like that's shrinking too. It does make a fine industry mag when advertising is a necessity. Harold is out for the doe. Money from mags comes from adds. Not from us readers. I think they seen the mag business growing with too much competition and moved in the area where they could breath and possible conquer. Not bad strategy just different.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
10-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Now that I think about it. P&B started going downhill right after the MPBA went down. hmmmm

C.C.

JimS
10-21-2004, 05:57 AM
I wonder what the numbers are these days? Who has the most circulation amongst the pool mags? I'm thinkin BD then IP with IP gaining ground steadily and with alarming speed, and with P&B rapidly going south towards the other side of the equator.

BD has really improved their pool player interest stuff I think. More regional tournament coverage is big for me. I also like top player profiles or full length stories. What's in the case is fun to read and helps me cut down on the crap I carry once I see that the big boys don't bother with most of it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif . (But I still like magnetic chalk holders because most of the bars that have leagues or tournament do NOT have decent chalk..not one piece in the house.)

Wally_in_Cincy
10-21-2004, 06:26 AM
Magazines publish their circulation numbers on the first page twice a year I think. Last time I looked BD published 10,000 copies, P & B considerably more than that (maybe 15,ooo to 20,000).

JimS
10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Magazines publish their circulation numbers on the first page twice a year I think. Last time I looked BD published 10,000 copies, P &amp; B considerably more than that (maybe 15,ooo to 20,000). <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmm...now aint those some weird numbers? At least to me. I can't imagine who they are and why they'd buy P&amp;B over BD.

Bob_Jewett
10-21-2004, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> More regional tournament coverage is big for me.... <hr /></blockquote>
It's not clear, but I assume you mean coverage of tournaments in your region. Around here, we have two free, very high quality pool newspapers that cover West Coast tournaments. I think that is a much better place to cover such stories, because they can give them far more space. Also, they have a better chance of having some sort of reporter there than the national mags do.

Don't you have a regional pool newspaper?

JimS
10-22-2004, 04:54 AM
Not that I'm aware of.

Maybe these posts will inadvertantly uncover some unexpected information for me.