PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Medalist or Diamond Professional?

djc
10-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Is it a coin toss?

MINISTRY
10-19-2004, 10:48 AM
OLHAUSEN GRAND CHAMPION, better table for less money. Then buy the cue of your dreams with the money you saved.

Dagwood
10-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Absolutely not...the Diamond is heads and shoulders above the Medalist (IMHO) in quality. The only table made that plays just as well as the Diamond Pro is the Gold Crown. If it's a choice between the Medalist and Diamond Pro, I'll pick the Diamond 10 out of 10 times, without even thinking about it.

Ciao...Dags

UTAddb
10-19-2004, 01:21 PM
yeah, no question-go with the diamond, it is so much nicer.

djc
10-19-2004, 03:50 PM
This would be my first table so I am reluctant to bite the bullet. Why is the Diamond so much nicer in your opinion? Thanks.

JimS
10-19-2004, 06:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote djc:</font><hr> This would be my first table so I am reluctant to bite the bullet. Why is the Diamond so much nicer in your opinion? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

If you get the Diamond Pro it will be your last table. If you get anything else you will want to trade it for a Diamond Pro within 3 years and will be kicking yourself for not having taken the plunge in the first place ...if you are taking your game at all seriously that is. I started with a beautiful Brunswick furniture table and within 2 years learned the difference between a good home table and a GOOD PLAYERS TABLE. Then I sold the Brunswick and got the Diamond.

It is consdered the benchmark of tables by most serious pool players and none plays better. Granted its up to individual opinion what is best, but almost any serious player will tell you it is either the best or, as good as what they feel is the best.

Tight pockets, deep shelves, over-thick slate, wide rails, flush leather pocket tops, no metal trim, top quality only in every detail. NO detail overlooked.

The company was started by top pool players who wanted to make a table that would satisfy their every desire in a pool table and that's what they did. They sat down and made a list of what they had always wanted a table to be and then they got a bunch of other top players to make a list and then they made the Diamond Pro. Made by top pool players to satisy top pool players and by golly...it does. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brunswick Gold Crown comes close but is several $k more. The Brunswick Medalist does not compare. Apples and oranges. They are both called pool tables and there ends the similarities.

Bob_Jewett
10-20-2004, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote djc:</font><hr> Is it a coin toss? <hr /></blockquote>
Not at all. The Medalist is more or less a reduced-cost version of the GC III. I've heard that the model has been discontinued (in another thread, somewhere).

The Diamond Pro has 1.25-inch slate and European rubber. It also has the Diamond design features that now appear in the GC4.

Which you get depends on what sort of use it's going to have and your budget. I haven't priced them, but I would expect the Pro to be about twice the price. If it's just for occasional home use, mostly by casual players, and your budget is restricted, maybe the Medalist would be better.

rogerb
10-22-2004, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MINISTRY:</font><hr> OLHAUSEN GRAND CHAMPION, better table for less money. Then buy the cue of your dreams with the money you saved. <hr /></blockquote>

This is not always the case, I was planning on getting an Olhausen Champ Pro, I called diamond, and the diamond pro was about 200.00 cheaper. The reason is the Olhausen I was buying from a local dealer the diamond is purchased directly from the company. Also simonis 860 is standard on the diamond, its an option on the Olhausen. They are both great tables but the price difference is nil.

Rip
10-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi JimS,
Bob J refers to the Diamond Pro slate as 1 1/4 inches thick. Are all of the D Pro's slates the same thickness as far as you know?
Thanks,
Rip~believe it or not!

SPetty
10-22-2004, 07:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> Hi JimS,
Bob J refers to the Diamond Pro slate as 1 1/4 inches thick. Are all of the D Pro's slates the same thickness as far as you know?<hr /></blockquote>Hi Rip,

I'm not JimS, but referring to their web page (http://www.diamondbilliard.com/tables/professional.aspx), yes, the Diamond Pro slate is 1 1/4" Matched Italian Slate.

Did you have reason to believe otherwise?

Rip
10-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey there "not JimS",
Everything I've read including a packet I rec'd from Diamond last week, says 1 1/4 inch slates. I was just wondering since some whacko at the ph was insisting his Diamond Pro has 2 inch thick slates. But he also claims he takes Oxycontin just for the nutritional benefits, LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks "not JimS",
Rip

JimS
10-23-2004, 05:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> Hey there "not JimS",
Everything I've read including a packet I rec'd from Diamond last week, says 1 1/4 inch slates. I was just wondering since some whacko at the ph was insisting his Diamond Pro has 2 inch thick slates. But he also claims he takes Oxycontin just for the nutritional benefits, LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks "not JimS",
Rip <hr /></blockquote>

I think Rip that "whacko" would be the operative phrase. 2"! Sheeeeeeeet!! 1.25 is correct, as has been said by "not JimS" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Diamonds are a players best friend /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MINISTRY
10-23-2004, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not always the case, I was planning on getting an Olhausen Champ Pro, I called diamond, and the diamond pro was about 200.00 cheaper. The reason is the Olhausen I was buying from a local dealer the diamond is purchased directly from the company. Also simonis 860 is standard on the diamond, its an option on the Olhausen. They are both great tables but the price difference is nil.
<hr /></blockquote>

My quote for OLHAUSEN Grand Champion @ $3668 ea. (accessories included with aramith primier balls and simonis 860 included for that price).

I am curious, how do your table choices compare in price?

ras314
10-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Jim, Diamond's litature lists the Pro slate as 1 1/4", however mine measures almost 1 1/8". Some even number metric measurement I think. Maybe like lumber, 1 1/4 before honeing?

Might also mention the Diamond Pro can be had in a wide range of woods and custom features with a corresponding range of prices. Best of all they are responsive to customers questions.

woody_968
10-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Like Jim said, get the Diamond and you will never feel like you should have gotten a better table, you will already have the best.

rogerb
10-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Ministry ,(Grand Pro 8ft. table), Olhausen dealer's price with simonis 860 , delivery ,TAX, and set up was almost 4600, that included super aramith, some house sticks, rack, etc. The diamond pro will be about 4500 after all is said and done. That is just the table, 860, delivery and set up. but i already have the aramiths, about 8 cues, wall rack, etc. All Olhausen dealers are going to have different markups and i'm sure if i went back with the diamond price he'd come down close to what you were quoted, but I want the diamond and I'd pay 500.00 over the Olhausen it I had too.