PDA

View Full Version : Magic Eraser (New Topic) for Shaft Cleaning

SpiderMan
10-19-2004, 02:30 PM
Has anyone tried combining the Magic Eraser with other solvents or cleaners? For example, have you tried the Magic Eraser with naptha instead of water? Did you notice less swelling/raising of the grain?

SpiderMan

Rod
10-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I never have but I fear lighter fluid would melt or deform the eraser. You ever see the old joke by putting the fibre from a cigarette filter in your hand then adding lighter fluid closing your hand and shaking it?

Whew that was a long question. LOL Well it melts it. I suppose one could try a small test area.

Rod

Chopstick
10-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Formby makes a build-up remover that I have used before with a paper towel. It works pretty good for lifting chalk out of the grain. The bottle says aliphatic hydrocarbons whatever that is. It's probably just a fancy word for kerosene.

What's a magic eraser?

Sid_Vicious
10-19-2004, 08:31 PM
It is a sponge sold under the brand Mr Clean, Walmarts wells them...sid

Chris Cass
10-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Tried it with eyther once and after I woke up, it was gone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

J/K,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
10-20-2004, 06:12 AM
I have tried isopropyl alcohol on the eraser, and it didn't seem to affect it.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
10-20-2004, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I have tried isopropyl alcohol on the eraser, and it didn't seem to affect it.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I would assume anything that is not petrolem based would be ok.

Do we have any chemical engineers on the board /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pizza Bob
10-20-2004, 07:09 AM
I have used it once with Q-Clean powder, which I believe is nothing more than powdered chlorine bleach. Dampened the sponge, applied the Q-clean to the sponge and then used it on the shaft. Probably rubbed too hard, as there were significant grooves in the sponge. I don't think it was caused by any chemical reaction, just over-zealousness on my part. Worked well. Didn't notice any significant raising of the grain. Finished it off with the Q-smooth burnishing papers and then an application of Q-Silk. My shafts don't require a whole lot of maintenance (maybe annually - if that) since I wear a glove and use tan chalk.

Hope this Fred's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

SpiderMan
10-20-2004, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Do we have any chemical engineers on the board /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Are those the guys that are always taking little trips out to the car during a match?

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
10-20-2004, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Do we have any chemical engineers on the board /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Are those the guys that are always taking little trips out to the car during a match?

LOL

JimS used to work on the railroad. Perhaps he was a chemical engineer.

OK off-topic but it;s kinda funny. My brother and my dad both worked for CSX railroad. There's a spur line that snakes throughout Hamiltucky servicing different factories.

About 25 years ago we went to a carry-out on the west side of town. Out walks my brother carrying a bag of beer. I said "Dude where's your car?" He said 'that's ok I have a ride coming' and a locomotive pulled around the corner and picked him up /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoolFool
10-20-2004, 09:05 AM
A few drops of C. W.'s secret shaft cleaning solution on a magic eraser is as good as it gets. I just don't use the magic eraser because its really not needed with the solution.

PoolFool

SPetty
10-20-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> C. W.'s secret shaft cleaning solution <hr /></blockquote> http://www.pettypoint.com/poolhall/091804/pic25.jpg
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SpiderMan
10-20-2004, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> C. W.'s secret shaft cleaning solution <hr /></blockquote> http://www.pettypoint.com/poolhall/091804/pic25.jpg
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

The stuff in the brown bottle?

SpiderMan

nhp
10-20-2004, 05:06 PM
So has anyone tried Pledge (no wax) on a magic eraser to clean their shaft/cue? Has anyone tried Pledge before? It's amazing.

nineball33
10-20-2004, 05:22 PM
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY if you are going to put my picture on the net at least let me suck in my big GUT. I think that SPETTY had to much food to offer an my tastbuds went crazyyyyyyyyyyyy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JimS
10-20-2004, 06:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Do we have any chemical engineers on the board /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LOL

JimS used to work on the railroad. Perhaps he was a chemical engineer.

OK off-topic but it;s kinda funny. My brother and my dad both worked for CSX railroad. There's a spur line that snakes throughout Hamiltucky servicing different factories.

About 25 years ago we went to a carry-out on the west side of town. Out walks my brother carrying a bag of beer. I said "Dude where's your car?" He said 'that's ok I have a ride coming' and a locomotive pulled around the corner and picked him up /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Reminds me of many a night of railroading that I don't remember /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And you wouldn't have lived this long had you actually said "Dude...where's your car"..someone would have "put you down" before this /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PoolFool
10-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Not only did she fail to warn us she was taking a picture but she put my secrect shaft cleaning formula up for everyone to see. How am I going to get $25.00 an ounce for it now? Some one with good eyesight will read the lable and find out they can get it at Dollar General for $5.oo per gallon. I guess I'll have to stick to my secret deflection eliminator device which you will see at the next SPetty pool party and product exposition.

PoolFool