PDA

View Full Version : Sang Lee Passes

cueball1950
10-19-2004, 08:27 PM
AZ billiards is reporting on its web site that Sang Lee age 51 Has passed. He was a very well known and popular world champion 3 cushion player. He will be sorely missed by the billiard industry. Go with Gods Speed Mr Lee...............mike

PQQLK9
10-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Wow! how sad to hear. He was truly a great one.

crawdaddio
10-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm sad to hear this. He was a phenominal player. Do you know how he died?

~DC

joejaguar
10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
caromtv website is posting that he died from complications from cancer.

Chris Cass
10-19-2004, 11:25 PM
I had heard he was fighting a bout with Cancer. Too many people and he was way too young. We as pool players have a great loss in his passing. My condolences and deep regret to one of the most impressive players to ever touch a piece of wood and make it do things we can only wish, we could do. God blessed us with his talent.

Truely a sad day in the history of billiards throughout the world,

C.C.~~champions never die. they'll always live within our minds forever.

JOKERSWILD
10-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Condolences to his family.
I watched him play a few times, he had a great sense of the game and the best speed control I've seen.

Troy
10-20-2004, 07:06 AM
RIP, sir.

Enough said.

Eric.
10-20-2004, 07:09 AM
That's sad news, Mike. I heard he has been sick for months now, soory to hear the news. He was a hell of a 3C player.

Eric

Harold Acosta
10-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Mr. Sang Lee was also President of the Korean Billiard Federation.

Most Billiard Federations of the World, including ours, have received an email about Mr. Sang's passing.

Harold Acosta - President
Puerto Rican Billiard Federation

denoandrews
10-21-2004, 10:35 PM
We have lost a dear friend in billiards with the passing of Sang Lee. When I was just starting out in competition billiards, Sang Lee invited me to NY to practice in his room. He put me up at his apartment, fed me, and made me play billiards with just about everyone who could pick up a cue in his room including himself. I don't think I won a single game in a week there, but no other week was so intrumental in teaching me the game of billiards. Sang Lee was such a special player that words can't even begin to articulate what he did with the game. He literally reinvented the game and how it is played, and managed to do so every time he swung the cue. His hospitality will be missed. His world class tournaments on US soil will be missed. His mastery of the game will be missed, and finally he will be missed. Rest in peace old friend.

Deno J. Andrews

cueball1950
10-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Deno andrews.... truer words have never been spoken..........TAP...TAP..TAP..WITH THE GREATEST RESPECT...........MIKE

Alex_Delodge
11-07-2004, 09:09 PM
I was truly sad to learn that my friend Sang Lee had died. I heard months ago that he was fighting stomach cancer but no one told me how serious his condition was. I remember when he would play in his room's handicapped tournaments. An EXCELLENT player, someone who might play in the nationals would be playing at around 35 to 45, and Sang Lee would be playing to 70! and the game was no bargain for the lesser player. He was magical. Runs of 15 were fairly routine, and higher were common. He barely practiced through long periods of his career and many who knew him thought that as a natural talent he was the greatest 3-cushion player ever. Watching him play was a thing of beauty. His speed control was impossible to believe. His mastery of a style entirely his own was unfathomable. On many short angle shots he would use draw alone when everyone else in the world use english. He was by far the best rail first player who ever lived. Ask Blomdahl or Zanetti or Ceulemans and they'd agree. It came from his constant play of jigsaw when he was learning the game. A gambling game where all rail first shots pay double. He was a gracious man. I remember in those local handicapped tournaments.; he's going to 70 and the beginner he's playing is going to 15. No arrogance. No smirk as the beginner fumbles at a routine shot. Instead Sang Lee would run 6, the 6th shot almost impossible but made, and then when he missed the duck on the seventh inning he turn to the beginner and say "same guy".

My heart goes out to his family, especially his wonderful daughter. He will be missed.