PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so Yankees.

Cueless Joey
10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
The most monumental choke of all time if they lose game 7.
The most monumental choke of all time and it's not by the Sox?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

catscradle
10-20-2004, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The most monumental choke of all time if they lose game 7.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

IMO, it is already a monumental choke regardless of the outcome of game 7, but it could be that the Red Sox are a bit better than Yankee fans want to give them credit for and not a Yankee choke at all.
At any rate, sometime, someplace, somebody will come back from a 3-0 defeicit. Why not the Red Soxs here and now?

eg8r
10-20-2004, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it is already a monumental choke regardless of the outcome of game 7, but it could be that the Red Sox are a bit better than Yankee fans want to give them credit for and not a Yankee choke at all.
At any rate, sometime, someplace, somebody will come back from a 3-0 defeicit. Why not the Red Soxs here and now? <hr /></blockquote> IMO, it will be the biggest choke ever, regardless of how good the Red Sox are. The Red Sox are not soooo much better than the Yankees that the Yankees should not win at least one game out of 4. I am a huge Yankees fan, but I don't think I will be able to watch the game tonight. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
10-20-2004, 09:07 AM
If it were any other team coming back from a 3-0 deficit, I would say that they deserve to win. But not the BoSox. It's just the rivalry thing I guess. I do have to admit, though, that I did root for Boston once. And that was when they played against the Mets in '86. I was in the 8th grade and everyone was rooting for the Mets (obviously since they are the other NY team that I dislike) and I was rooting for the Bosox because I had a soft spot for Wade Boggs.

Anyway, I'm with you, eg8r. This will be an exciting one tonight. Well, more of a nailbiter I guess. BoSox' got the momentum. And I do have to tip my Yankee cap off to Schilling for a job well done last night, bleeding ankle and all. And not to take anything away from the BoSox coming back, it's just that I hate it when the Yanks don't seize opportunties i.e. leaving guys on bases. That pi$$es me off to no end!

After last night's loss, I threw my house phone against the wall and broke it. (dumdum) I've already warned the BF to stay away from me should tonight be a repeat of last night...

Wendy&lt;---the BF says it's just a game. Am I taking this too seriously? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

armandito
10-20-2004, 09:25 AM
No. It's not just a game. It's BoSox-Yankees. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anybody else see MLB's conspiracy to carry this series to 7 games? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
10-20-2004, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>
Wendy&lt;---the BF says it's just a game. Am I taking this too seriously? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it really is only a game. As I've gotten older (58, yuck), I've found the only sporting events I care about are the ones I'm actively participating in. I just can't get excited about all those overpaid primadonnas like when I was young (and they were overpaid, but not so badly overpaid). However, I will grant you that as sporting events go, they don't get much better than a Yankees-Red Sox playoff. Too bad they can never play each other in the World Series.

9 Ball Girl
10-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Yes, I guess you can say that it's only a game but it's the players and the history behind it that makes it nerve wracking. As for the BF, if I were to tell him that Mexico against Columbia in a soccer game was only a game, well, lets not even go there. I can hear it now, "at least the World Cup is teams from all over the world. I don't know why baseball even calls it a World Series when in actuality it's just the country... and so on, and so on, and so on...

To each his own.

9 Ball Girl
10-20-2004, 01:30 PM
One of my coworkers is a St. Louis fan and I, of course, am a Yankees fan so the rest of our coworkers are saying that "both Wendy and Bob are on Suicide Watch." LOL

armandito
10-20-2004, 01:59 PM
Ha, ha, ha (more like ja, ja, ja! in Spanish)

Wendy, I have to agree with your BF. Basically Mexico vs. anybody in soccer is more than a game. He sounds like a reasonable guy, so just tell him that this is like a Chivas vs. America final.

Also tell him he can't complain, as MLB is trying to organize a Baseball World Cup, possible for 2006.

Now. If the Astros win tonight, it's going to be great seeing Clemens in game 1 vs Mussina at Yankee Stadium.

Cueless Joey
10-20-2004, 06:14 PM
6 zip in the second.
Steinbrenner on suicide watch.

Barbara
10-20-2004, 06:49 PM
CJ,

8-1 and it's not over.

<font color="red">GO SOX!!!!!</font color>

Barbara~~~hopes Kato is watching... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
10-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Congrats to the Sox.
Ben Afleck will lose his wig when he jumps for joy after the last out.

Voodoo Daddy
10-21-2004, 03:20 AM
Cant say the YANK's choked...can say the SOX played a great 4 games to take it down. Schilling is the modern-day Willis Reed and will always be veiwed by me as the guy I'd want my kid to look up to. Ortiz is a beast and I wish he was in pinstripes. I still hate the SOX and always will but when your good and you beat my team's ass...I can eat some crow.

Voodoo~~~wont root for the N.L. champs and I WILL stick pin's in my Bo-Sox Voodoo Doll...right in the eyes!!

catscradle
10-21-2004, 05:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Voodoo~~~wont root for the N.L. champs and I WILL stick pin's in my Bo-Sox Voodoo Doll...right in the eyes!! <hr /></blockquote>

Please wait with the pins until next season. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
10-21-2004, 05:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> One of my coworkers is a St. Louis fan and I, of course, am a Yankees fan so the rest of our coworkers are saying that "both Wendy and Bob are on Suicide Watch." LOL <hr /></blockquote>

If you're reading this I guess the suicide watch was unnecessary or successful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's good, your posts are enjoyable to read.
Please keep a wary eye on your co-worker who isn't out of the woods yet.

catscradle
10-21-2004, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> ... As for the BF, if I were to tell him that Mexico against Columbia in a soccer game was only a game, well, lets not even go there. I can hear it now, "at least the World Cup is teams from all over the world. I don't know why baseball even calls it a World Series when in actuality it's just the country... and so on, and so on, and so on...

To each his own. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL.

Eric.
10-21-2004, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The most monumental choke of all time if they lose game 7.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

OK, I'm a Yankee fan.

I gotta question. Are you a Blo Sox fan or do you cheer when winners fall from grace.

Eric &gt;not a playa hater

Cueless Joey
10-21-2004, 08:34 AM
I hate the Red Sox and the RSN. I hate their fans.
I'm an Angels diehard fan. A fan since '85.
Was in most of the playoff games in 2002. I even made it on tv. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Come on now guys!! LMAOOOO
Every once in awhile the rich SHOULD be robbed and given to the poor.Game was won fairly..Yankees CHOKED...soo..i think..its about time I dont have to hear about that stupid azz curse AND.also.. sucking it up is the best thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

armandito
10-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Taking from the rich to give to the poor??? What's the Sox payroll??? (Maybe if it was the Angels or the Twins....).

Now, about the curse, you still have to beat Houston/St Louis. It is not about the Yankees..... just remember what every BoSox fan said on interviews after game 3.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
10-21-2004, 10:41 AM
The Yankees' payroll for next season is expected to be around $185 million, while the Red Sox are flirting with a $125 million total salary for their club. Both teams own the most expensive players in the game.

So I guess the poor should rob the SOX and give to St Louis/Houston winner?

Voodoo~~~has a lil mean streak...HAHAHAHAHA /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
~chews~~~~~ SPITS ..LOL..GO REDSOX !

Eric.
10-21-2004, 11:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote VooDoozDoll:</font><hr> Come on now guys!! LMAOOOO
Every once in awhile the rich SHOULD be robbed and given to the poor.Game was won fairly..Yankees CHOKED...soo..i think..its about time I dont have to hear about that stupid azz curse AND.also.. sucking it up is the best thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, it's just talk, I don't have a problem with Joey.

I'm still a little sore after last nights game. I can appreciate Blo Sox fans cheering for their teams big win. That's cool. I'm not big on the playa haters that are only happy to see winners lose. Why be bitter and root for someone to lose? Quit playa hating you (people in general) envious bastards!

Eric

Eric.
10-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Speaking of the have's vs. the have not's, it reminds me that life just ain't fair. Anyone who tries to find the equality in life oughta get real and see the *Golden Rule*:

He who has the GOLD, makes the RULES.

That is reality, folks.

Eric &gt;didn't make the rules

catscradle
10-21-2004, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr> Taking from the rich to give to the poor??? What's the Sox payroll??? (Maybe if it was the Angels or the Twins....).

Now, about the curse, you still have to beat Houston/St Louis. It is not about the Yankees..... just remember what every BoSox fan said on interviews after game 3.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, the "curse" superstition is about the Yankees and the selling of Babe Ruth to them so that the then Red Sox owner could finance a Broadway musical for his bimbo to appear in.
That not withstanding, the Red Sox still have to win the World Series to satisfy their fans, not to mention the owners who are shelling out those big salary bucks.

catscradle
10-21-2004, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Speaking of the have's vs. the have not's, it reminds me that life just ain't fair. Anyone who tries to find the equality in life oughta get real and see the *Golden Rule*:

That is reality, folks.
<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="red"> But that doesn't mean you have to like it. </font color>

[ QUOTE ]

Eric &gt;didn't make the rules <hr /></blockquote>

armandito
10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, the "curse" superstition is about the Yankees and the selling of Babe Ruth to them so that the then Red Sox owner could finance a Broadway musical for his bimbo to appear in.
That not withstanding, the Red Sox still have to win the World Series to satisfy their fans, not to mention the owners who are shelling out those big salary bucks. <hr /></blockquote>

Sorry, but no. That's how the "curse" is said to have started, but it relates not to beating the Yankees, but to NOT winning the World Series since the trade in 1919 (see 1986 - World Series vs. the Mets as the MOST USED EXAMPLE of The Curse).

As you can see below:
American League pennants won (10): 1903, 1904, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, <font color="red"> 1946, 1967, 1975, 1986 </font color>

World Series championships won (5): 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918

This is what's published on their website.
<font color="green">
The Red Sox were owned by Joseph Lannin from 1913 to 1916 and he signed Babe Ruth, commonly seen as the best player in baseball history. In 1919, the team's new owner, Harry Frazee, sold Ruth to the New York Yankees.<font color="blue"> Legend has it that he did so in order to finance a Broadway play "No, No Nanette" starring 'a friend', but in actual fact the play did not open on Broadway until 1925. Rather, Frazee sold Ruth because he was a serious problem (and continued to be one in NY) and because it was not then apparent what he would become the player he is remembered to have been.</font color> Frazee also unloaded a number of other Hall of Fame quality players to NY for other reasons. Carl Mays quit the team in mid-game and refused to return; his trade was essentially a salvage operation. Other Frazee era players went to NY as part of Frazee's financial strategy after he decided to leave baseball, having been driven out by Ban Johnson (eg, Sad Sam Jones and Waite Hoyt). The players (many of them Hall of Fame members) formed the nucleus of the first championship Yankee teams of the 20s. <font color="blue">Since the dismantling of their 1918 championship team, the Red Sox have never won a World Series, and many in the media speak of the Curse of the Bambino - a play on one of Ruth's nicknames. The contract was a straight sale; the Red Sox got no players in return.</font color>
Serious fans consider the Curse to be a lot of nonsense, though Sox fans annually struggle to understand their misfortunes.

The Curse of the Bambino is a term coined by author Dan Shaughnessy in his 1991 book entitled: "The Curse of the Bambino". As the phrase and idea of a curse make for great book sales, excellent drama for television networks, and witty T-shirt slogans...the story of this curse is pure fiction, with no basis in fact or history whatsoever. Babe Ruth had never in his entire life said anything negative about the city of Boston or the Boston Red Sox. </font color>

What made this series so important for BoSox fans?
-Greatest comeback in sports history.
-First trip to the World Series in 18 years.
-First meaningful victory over the Yankees.
All at the same time.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Keith Talent
10-21-2004, 04:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>

I'm still a little sore after last nights game. I can appreciate Blo Sox fans cheering for their teams big win. That's cool. I'm not big on the playa haters that are only happy to see winners lose. Why be bitter and root for someone to lose? Quit playa hating you (people in general) envious bastards!

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Hey, Eric ... those of us non-Sox fans who enjoyed last night's game don't necessarily hate the greats ... only the #%&amp;*%#@!! Yankees!

This guy from espn puts it pretty well. And any real Mets fan can relate, absolutely.

You have to be from here to understand. You just do. It wasn't just that the Yankees always win. It was everything else that came with it -- the petty barbs, the condescending remarks, the general sense of superiority from a fan base that derives a disproportionate amount of self-esteem from the success of their baseball team. I didn't care that they kept winning as much as they were a-holes about it. Not all of them. Most of them. In 96 hours, everything was erased. Everything. It was like pressing the re-start button on a video game.

And yeah, I know. We need to win the World Series to complete the dream. But you can win the World Series every year. You only have one chance to destroy the Yanks. As my friend Mike (a Tigers fan) wrote me last night, "Everyone outside of Yankee brats are celebrating quietly with you guys. It's like you killed Michael Myers, Jason, Freddie Kreueger and Hannibal Lecter in one night."

It was the choke of chokes, an unprecedented gag job. For once, finally, the Yankees have some baggage. Just like every other baseball team.

I feel like Earl hollering "JUSTICE! JUSTICE!"

Rod
10-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Het Keith, that's pretty good I liked that. To think the Yankees can't loose is silly at best. I had a guy tell me statistics says the sox won't win. I think he said a four game come back has never happened. I said I don't believe in stastics, they were made to be broken. It happens all the time although not all that often.

With the Yanks loosing three in a row the pressure was on them, not Boston. Just like a pool game you think you have a win locked up and let one get away, then another. Now wait a minute we can't loose this game or it's hill hill which puts even more pressure on you, like the yanks did. At hill hill you know a mistake can cost you the match, even more pressure that can force errors. BTW I didn't watch the game cause I really didn't care. It's good to see a change of faces though, just like pool.

They'll be back next year, mean time saying if I just had not of done that we'd be there this year. LOL

Rod

Kato
10-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Neither the Cards nor the Astros have shrinked away from spending money. Just not at the Red Sox/Yankee clip. My question is................How much is George gonna spend now? Carlos Beltran, say hello to Jeter and A-Rod.

Kato~~~just hopes the Sox resign Varitek.

9 Ball Girl
10-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Ok. I've recovered from last night. The BF is still alive too since he was rooting for Boston only because he's tired of the Yankees winning, as he puts it, all the time.

All I can say now is Go Cardinals!

9 Ball Girl
10-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Aaaahhh the curse. The curse is broken once the BoSox win a World Series. Now that the Yanks have been given the chance to take a much needed vacation (that's what I'm calling it now), I've got to root for the Saint Louie Cardinals. I promised my coworker I would.

9 Ball Girl
10-21-2004, 07:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> If you're reading this I guess the suicide watch was unnecessary or successful. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's good, your posts are enjoyable to read.
Please keep a wary eye on your co-worker who isn't out of the woods yet. <hr /></blockquote>

I didn't go into work today. Had to accompany the BF to the dentist. He got 4 wisdom teeth and a molar pulled out. Actually, it took so friggin' long that I could've gone to work! But why face all the headlines on newspapers whilst I sit on a train on my way to work? I kicked the $hiznit out of a NY Daily News paper that was delivered to somebody in my building. The BF slowly backed away when he saw me do that. LOL

So get this one, after that Grand Slam from Damon last night, I began to realize what it must've felt for those that had imminent death upon them on the Titanic as it sunk. A great calm washed over me as I sat there waiting for an absolution that never came. Am I dramatic or what? LOL Seriously though, I thought I was going to cry the way I did when they lost in '95 (Mattingly's last year) and then again in '97. God, I can be such a girl sometimes. LOL

Eric.
10-22-2004, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Speaking of the have's vs. the have not's, it reminds me that life just ain't fair. Anyone who tries to find the equality in life oughta get real and see the *Golden Rule*:

That is reality, folks.
<hr /></blockquote>

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

Eric &gt;didn't make the rules <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> Like it or not, that is reality. </font color>

Eric &gt;accept it and move on

Eric.
10-22-2004, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Hey, Eric ... those of us non-Sox fans who enjoyed last night's game don't necessarily hate the greats ... only the #%&amp;*%#@!! Yankees!

This guy from espn puts it pretty well. And any real Mets fan can relate, absolutely.

You have to be from here to understand. You just do. It wasn't just that the Yankees always win. It was everything else that came with it -- the petty barbs, the condescending remarks, the general sense of superiority from a fan base that derives a disproportionate amount of self-esteem from the success of their baseball team. I didn't care that they kept winning as much as they were a-holes about it. Not all of them. Most of them. In 96 hours, everything was erased. Everything. It was like pressing the re-start button on a video game.

And yeah, I know. We need to win the World Series to complete the dream. But you can win the World Series every year. You only have one chance to destroy the Yanks. As my friend Mike (a Tigers fan) wrote me last night, "Everyone outside of Yankee brats are celebrating quietly with you guys. It's like you killed Michael Myers, Jason, Freddie Kreueger and Hannibal Lecter in one night."

It was the choke of chokes, an unprecedented gag job. For once, finally, the Yankees have some baggage. Just like every other baseball team.

I feel like Earl hollering "JUSTICE! JUSTICE!" <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Keith,

I am from around "here" (not the CCB but NY /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ). Being born, raised in NY &amp; NJ, living here most of my life, I do understand where you're coming from i.e. a Mets fan that feels like the redheaded stepchild. I know all about the 'attitude' and 'condescending remarks' that non-Yankee fans have to endure from the Yankee fans BUT that's the key word. The FANS. Soooo, using your theory, your beef is with the fans moreso than the Yankee team and their many victories. It reminds me of the little guy that gets sand kicked in his face by the beach bully and now he's pissed at the sand. Corny, but you get my drift.

My point is that life is short. I rather spend my energies on positive stuff. You know, sh!t that makes me happy. Life's too short to waste time pissin N moanin.

Hope all is good w/ you.

Eric &gt;with sunshine flowin outta my @ss

catscradle
10-22-2004, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Speaking of the have's vs. the have not's, it reminds me that life just ain't fair. Anyone who tries to find the equality in life oughta get real and see the *Golden Rule*:

That is reality, folks.
<hr /></blockquote>

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

Eric &gt;didn't make the rules <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> Like it or not, that is reality. </font color>

Eric &gt;accept it and move on <hr /></blockquote>

Well I could get philosophical here and discuss the nature of "reality", but I won't. Suffice it to say I've accepted a lot in my life I don't like and moved on successfully enjoying life, BUT I reserve the right to not like it. BTW, I don't really consider the topic of teams with the highest salaries always winning something to even care about. I don't consider what goes on with pro sports in general worth too much concern, but it is a nice diversion.

Paul_Mon
10-22-2004, 09:02 AM
This week it hurts bad to be a Yankee fan. But it can't possibly come close to the hurt that Red Sox fans have endured for years, and will probably go through again next week. The Yankees are a true dynasty with 26 World Series titles. The Red Sox have a little ways to go with 5 World Series titles. BTW, the team with the second most wins is St. Louis with 9. Guess who I'm cheering for?

Paul Mon~~~~love pinstripes

Deeman2
10-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Cardinals in 6, I hope...

Eric.
10-22-2004, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>

Well I could get philosophical here and discuss the nature of "reality", but I won't. Suffice it to say I've accepted a lot in my life I don't like and moved on successfully enjoying life, BUT I reserve the right to not like it. BTW, I don't really consider the topic of teams with the highest salaries always winning something to even care about. I don't consider what goes on with pro sports in general worth too much concern, but it is a nice diversion.

<hr /></blockquote>

OK, dude.

Eric

Wally_in_Cincy
10-22-2004, 11:14 AM
After 9/11 some folks became Yankee fans strictly out of sympathy for the city in general.

Now everybody's back to hating them again /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go Sox. Damon rocks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Eric,

I'm tryin to feel yer pain about those poor Yankees. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyway, in the piece I was quoting "here" refers to Beantown ... just used it as an example because having to suffer the abuse of puffed-up Bomber fans is torture whether you're in Boston and lose the division and the pennant to them repeatedly, or if you have to exist side-by-side with them 24/7 right in the city or thereabouts, absorbing the snide remarks, seeing your game flipped off the TV in the bar, and losing the battle of the back pages over and over.

So ... when the fates prick that big Yankee balloon, we ain't gonna miss the chance to celebrate! Really, I don't think you can separate the team from its pinstripes or from its fans. They're one and the same ... cast of lawyers with gloves changes every 5 mins, but the Yankees is the Yankees is the Yankees, as a Sox fan once said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope at least yer pool game is going well.

TomBrooklyn
11-01-2004, 07:11 PM
The curse is broken. And in very dramatic fashion.