PDA

View Full Version : Earl belongs in the Hall of Fame

05-17-2002, 02:52 AM
Earl Strickland belongs in the hall of fame, he should have been elected the first year that he became eligible and he should have been voted in this year. The hall of fame is about excellence in pool, not a contest of who you would most like to go out for dinner with. If Earl doesn't deserve in there based solely on his pool accomplishments, than nobody at all belongs in the hall. I could see an argument for exclusion based on attitude if Earl was a borderline hall of famer, but he isn't. He is most dominant player of his generation and in my mind the greatest pure 9ball player to ever pick up a cue. Not to mention that even at his advanced age he is still a threat to win any tournament. Others might have a chance all around, but for my money I want Strickland playing 9ball for me. And much like Paricia changed the way that safeties are played; Strickland revolutionized the way that the break in 9ball is looked at. I don't agree with some of the things he does or says but I wonder how many people who are so quick to bash him have ever been in his company or seen him play live. I'd guess most peoples hatred for him stems from stories they have heard from friends or on the internet. I would hope that when my life story gets told that the only parts to make it in aren't the 30 seconds immediately following a devastating loss. Think about yourself, I'm certain none of you have lost your temper after losing a match, now crank that up 10 notches in earls case when many times those matches might have cost him thousands of dollars. How many have seen an exhibition from him or actually got to say a few words to him. It's better to judge him at those moments instead of what he does in the heat of battle. Last thing, I'm not entirely certain that the whole thing isn't just a big act he puts on, almost like that is his way of putting the show on. Either way, he does put a good show on.

Krusty

Rich R.
05-17-2002, 04:18 AM
Krusty, I have seen Mr. Strickland play "live" on several occasions. I have also seen him before, during and after matches. Although Earl is an excellent pool player, a point which can not be disputed, he seems to have total disrespect for every one around him.
I have seen him eat up his opponents practice time, while he meticulously cleaned every ball and the table. No other players had any problem with the cleanliness of either balls or table.
I have seen and heard him complain constantly about the play of the tables thoughout a match, even while his opponent was shooting.
I have seen him knock balls off of a table, simply because he missed a shot. This of course distracted all other players on the surrounding tables.
He bad mouths other players, the equipment and the organizers of the event.
You could be correct when you say that it is all part of the show he puts on. On the other hand, it could also be considered sharking. All of his actions tend to disrupt the play of his opponents.
From what I have seen, Mr. Strickland cares about Earl Strickland and nothing else. Although he will certainly be placed in the HOF some day, because of his playing ability, I believe there are others much more deserving. To be considered for the HOF, I believe much more than your playing ability should be considered.
JMHO. Rich R.

rackmup
05-17-2002, 04:49 AM
BCA Hall of Fame

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>The purpose of the Hall of Fame is to honor outstanding people who, through their competitive skills and Dedication, have enriched our sport and industry.

Two categories have been established in BCA's Hall of Fame. The Greatest Players category shall be reserved for outstanding players who have been active in national or international competition for at least 20 years and have won at least one national or international championship. At least one candidate from this category will be nominated annually. The Meritorious Service category shall be reserved for those who have made lasting, memorable and important contributions to billiards, even though they may not have distinguished themselves as competitors.<hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, it appears that "conduct", "sportsmanship" and "civility" are NOT prerequisites for election.

He belongs there...no question about that. I would just think, as a man, Mr. Strickland would want his induction to be one that is celebrated by all and ridiculed by none.

Regards,

Ken

05-17-2002, 06:03 AM
I think Earl Strickland also belongs in the Hall of Fame. He has been a great thing for this great sport. He has been a great role model also.

jjinfla
05-17-2002, 06:57 AM
I agree that Strickland should be in the HOF, but then I think Pete Rose should be there too. I think it was just a toss up between Strickland and Rempe this time and the bad pub lately for Strickland might have swayed the vote. I will be watching Strickland play on June 1st At Pro-Billiards in Charlie Williams' 9-ball open. Then I will be able to form my own opinion about the man. Jake

cheesemouse
05-17-2002, 07:29 AM
jjinfla,
Earl will be in the Hall. The only issue in my mind is when. After his death perhaps so he can't dis the Hall and all its members at the induction ceremony. Maybe his nature will temper when the force is no longer with him as it was not this week. I have heard he is fun to be around in other settings like the golf course.

05-17-2002, 08:18 AM
he's still an ass.

05-17-2002, 08:31 AM
EARL THE PEARL
VERY GOOD PLAYER,BUT IT THE BIGGEST DICK YOU WILL EVER MEET .I'VE SEEN HIM PLAY GOOD PLAYERS .AND GIVE THEM NO RESPECT ABOUT THE GAME THAY JUST PLAYED, NO HAND SHAKES,ON RESPECT AT ALL .WHEN HE GET'S A BETTER WAY ABOUT HIS SELF AND THE GAME. THEN MAYBE HE'LL MAKE IT IN HOF.BUT UNTILL THEN HE'LL JUST BE LOOKING IN FROM THE OUTSIDE.

PoolFan
05-17-2002, 10:22 AM
I disagree with you about Earl dissing the BCA members. I truely believe that Earl would be honored to be elected.

Let's face it, he maybe a jackass, but he is the best 9-ball player ever with maybe exception to Buddy Hall. Also, knowing how Strickland is, he would love the respect that he would be getting when elected. That's what he looks for all the time respect!

I have no doubt that he will be in the HOF eventually. And you know what else, I could care less about the politics of who gets in first, second and last. As long as the players who get in are deserving, that's what matters.

cheesemouse
05-17-2002, 10:32 AM
PoolFan,
I also like his game, no I love his game but:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Also, knowing how Strickland is, he would love the respect that he would be getting when elected. That's what he looks for all the time respect!<hr></blockquote> Respect is a two way street one has to give it in order to recieve it. The Hall of Fame is for the game not the player. Members of the Hall should be honored not respected...he is fun to watch though /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif