PDA

View Full Version : Tournament turn-outs(kinda long)

c.holtz009
10-20-2004, 10:22 AM
I am looking for some advice on how to improve weekly turn-outs at tournaments.
We are lucky to get 10 people out for our weekly tournaments, and due to this, our regulars are starting to quit coming.
Just a bit of info on player numbers in the area. Between the 2 pool rooms in the area, there are 125 league players plus the people that come out to spare if there is a team in need.
The other room does not run any weekly tournaments at all.
The number of people in the area is somewhere between 30,000 and 50,000 if you include all the outlying areas within about a 45 minute drive. The room I play at is less than 5 minutes away from a Canadian Forces Base of about 10,000 soldiers and families.
We have tried handicapping the tournaments, among many other things to no avail.
I tried to run a 3 man team 9-ball league, but there was no interest.
I don't know what the problem is. Are the people too afraid to play in tournaments, do they feel they are not good enough, are they just not interested in competing?
I need lots of feedback on this one. We are next thing to just cancelling the tournaments all together. Its really unfortunate to the die hards who want to play and compete. We usually end up playing a little round robin tournament because there are more often than not only 5 or 6 people turn out for them.
Our room is not huge, but there are 9 - 1 year old Dufferin 9 foot tables, and the room is beautiful. Smoking is allowed in the building, however not in the table area.
I think this would promote more of the non-smokers to come out.
Any advice, ideas, or anything to help out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Deeman2
10-20-2004, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> I am looking for some advice on how to improve weekly turn-outs at tournaments.
We are lucky to get 10 people out for our weekly tournaments, and due to this, our regulars are starting to quit coming.
Just a bit of info on player numbers in the area. Between the 2 pool rooms in the area, there are 125 league players plus the people that come out to spare if there is a team in need.
The other room does not run any weekly tournaments at all.
The number of people in the area is somewhere between 30,000 and 50,000 if you include all the outlying areas within about a 45 minute drive. The room I play at is less than 5 minutes away from a Canadian Forces Base of about 10,000 soldiers and families.
We have tried handicapping the tournaments, among many other things to no avail.
I tried to run a 3 man team 9-ball league, but there was no interest.
I don't know what the problem is. Are the people too afraid to play in tournaments, do they feel they are not good enough, are they just not interested in competing?
I need lots of feedback on this one. We are next thing to just cancelling the tournaments all together. Its really unfortunate to the die hards who want to play and compete. We usually end up playing a little round robin tournament because there are more often than not only 5 or 6 people turn out for them.
Our room is not huge, but there are 9 - 1 year old Dufferin 9 foot tables, and the room is beautiful. Smoking is allowed in the building, however not in the table area.
I think this would promote more of the non-smokers to come out.
Any advice, ideas, or anything to help out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot. <hr /></blockquote>

I think these are questions a lot of people wonder about. First, is your cost of entry reasonable compared to the payback? How long does a tournament last? I want the tournament to move along and that requires a few tables to make sure you are not there all day/night.

How do you get the word out about the event? Posters, leaflets in the local league packages?

Some people seem to be "stuck" with runnning a tournament and make it a chore for everyone. Do the players feel welcome? Do even the not so skilled players feel like they are welcmoe? Does the same player win every event? I don't mind this (especially if it's me winning!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but some do.

Do you hold it at a convienent time? If you have a big TV you might make it part of watching a football game or something else. Do you provide free "warm-up" time on the tables?

I don't know but it seems your community is certainly big enough to accomodate a once a week event if it's done right and people know about it.

Good Luck!

Deeman

SPetty
10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
It sounds simple, but make sure the players know about the tourney.

The folks who spend most of their spare time in your pool room probably know about the tourney, but the folks who play league may get to the room only once a week and don't even know there's a weekly tournament going on. On league night, hand out flyers all over, in both your room and the other room.

Ives
10-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Make sure that you advertise that all levels of players are welcome, even total newbies. Some people here "tournament" and think that its only for the better players. They're afraid to emberass themselves.

Also , maybe a voucher for 1 or 2 hours of free table time during the slow days to each paid entry. You could also hold raffles open to tourney players and give small items such as tip tools or new tips. Makes the ones that never win tourneys still have a chance at taking something home for there money spent.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!

stick8
10-20-2004, 11:53 AM
What handcap system did you try? I run weekley tourny twice a week,wed-sun. have good turn out. i rate my players as 2-3-4-5-6-7-so on with the ladys as mostly2. if they win 1-2 place they go up one # for 4 tourny, after 4 tourny they do not win they come down. but they all have a rating they will never go below.e-mail me if i can help stick8@alltel.net {STICK}

woody_968
10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
First off a little more detailed info might help.

How much is the entry, and how much of the entry is paid back?

Does the pool room add any money to the tournament?

How much of the field are you paying out?

What is the current format of the tournamet -
Race to what?
8 or 9 ball?
Winner or looser breaks?
Double or single elimination?
Is it currently handcapped or not?

As far as things I have done in the past that seemed to go over pretty well.

Hold a short players meeting before each tournament - it gets any rules questions taken care of and makes the players feel like they are involved in an organised event.

If you play nine ball, consider handicaping by balls instead of games. It gives the lesser players more of a chance and makes the better players think more.

Loser breaks may be another good option, the weaker players will feel more involved if they at least get to break.

Short races will also help to even out the field, giving people the chance to "beat the local pro".

As others have said, getting the word out is the most important. A good way to do this is run the best possible tournament you can. This is done through organisation, start on time, keep the matches moving along, let the players no you appreciate them being there, and things like that. Then those that play will encourage others to show up.

Does the tourney night conflict with a league night? With all the leagues running these days it can sometimes be hard to pick a good night for a tournament.

Im sure I will think of some other things, these are off the top of my head.

Woody

c.holtz009
10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
<font color="blue"> </font color>"How much is the entry, and how much of the entry is paid back?"

<font color="black"> </font color> Entry fee is $10 a head. The room takes $1 from every entry for table time.The rest goes back to the players. I've spoken to them about this and they won't budge.

<font color="blue"> </font color>" Does the pool room add any money to the tournament?"

<font color="black"> </font color> No. They do however add coupons for some free table time.

<font color="blue"> </font color>" How much of the field are you paying out?"

Normally we pay out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and returned entry fee for top finishing lady. Remember though, we've only been getting btween 6 and 12 people every time, so the payouts are usually small. If we had a bigger field, we would pay out further down.

<font color="blue"> </font color>" What is the current format of the tournamet -
Race to what?"

<font color="black"> </font color> We race to a player's handicap with 7 being the highest.

<font color="blue"> </font color> "8 or 9 ball?"

<font color="black"> </font color> We try to do nine ball on Monday nights, and eight ball on Sunday afternoons.

<font color="blue"> </font color> "Winner or looser breaks?"

<font color="black"> </font color> We usually go with winner breaks, but I am going to change the format to alternate.

<font color="blue"> </font color> "Double or single elimination?"

<font color="black"> </font color> Double elimination

<font color="black"> </font color> As far as advertising in the other room, the last time someone tried to put up a tournament poster there for our place, they were asked not to come back. There seems to be a lot of tension between the two places. I just feel there are a few people who need to get their heads out of their a$$es, and do what is best for both places.
Our league night is Thursday, so there is no conflict there.

Billy_Bob
10-21-2004, 08:21 AM
&gt;Entry fee is $10 a head.

Make it $5 and don't change it.

&gt; Does the pool room add any money to the tournament?" No.

Add at *least* 50%.

&gt;Normally we pay out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and returned entry fee for top finishing lady.

Use entry fees and added amount for 1st and 2nd and a few dollars for 4th and 5th (see below). Charge 25 cents for every scratch and use that for 3rd.

Pay 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th*. *you may not be be able to pay 5th depending on the number of players and the brackets. (There may be more than one 5th.) Anyway pay 4th/5th with just $1, $2, or $3. Amount does not matter. The lesser skilled players will win this and it will rotate amoung the different lesser skilled players. These people really appreciate winning *anything* and this will get them coming back for more!

I would drop the "top winning lady" for legal reasons...

&gt; We race to a player's handicap with 7 being the highest.

No handicaps! - Race to 2 for 9-ball and race to 1 for 8-ball. People are busy and impatient. They may want to spend a few hours at a tournament, but not all day. For weeknights, people need to get up early the next day, be sure your tournament is finished at a reasonable time. Also stick to race to 2 nine ball/ race to 1 eight ball and don't go changing it. People want to know what to expect and don't like changes.

&gt; We try to do nine ball on Monday nights, and eight ball on Sunday afternoons.

Fine.

&gt; We usually go with winner breaks, but I am going to change the format to alternate.

Stay with winner breaks and don't change it. If things change each week, players don't know what to expect.

&gt; Double elimination

Good.

(So far as rules go, use BCA rules for 9-ball and local "bar rules" for 8-ball - except call pocket (avoids disagreements) and open after the break (keeps tournament moving along). Scratch = cue ball in kitchen. Post your rules and don't change them! (People want to know what to expect.)

&gt;As far as advertising in the other room, the last time someone tried to put up a tournament poster there for our place, they were asked not to come back.

Make up flyers advertising your tournament and post on all local free billboards. (Laundry, some businesses, schools, wherever...) Make up flyers to give to local league players. Be sure to include times, days of week, games played, address, directions, fees, and phone number.

JimS
10-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Maybe every week is too often to keep the small population of players excited...it becomes the same ole thing.

Maybe once a month works? People get hungry and look forward to it.