PDA

View Full Version : "Easy" drills?

SPetty
10-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Does anyone ever practice easy drills? Not "put the balls in the pockets" easy, but just a straightforward type of run out. I'd like to set up a drill where I can "easily" run the rack - so I can get the right feeling of running 8 or 9 or 10 balls in a row.

Here's my thought/issue: Unlike many of you, I am unaccustomed to running a full rack at the table, whether it's 9 ball or whether it's 8 ball.

I have, on two recent occasions that are vividly burned into my mind, missed the key ball on a full, start from the beginning, run. The position I was shooting from was just where I wanted to be shooting from, and the position on the final ball was "easy" from there. But I missed the key ball.

I think I've finally figured out that I'm just not accustomed to running that many balls at one time. My body thinks after running 3-4-5 balls, it's time to stand by and let my opponent shoot. That is, I'm pretty sure that if I just sat down and pretended it wasn't my turn for a minute, and then got up, I could finish the run "easily". It's like I'm used to playing for a certain period, then waiting for a certain period, then playing for a certain period, then waiting for a certain period. You know, the flow of the game I normally play.

So, I thought if I could set up a drill or two where I can run the entire table at one inning, especially if I could do it several times in a row, my body would come to understand that it's OK to do that and would be less likely to miss the next time I have a similar opportunity.

Sound logical?

Tom_In_Cincy
10-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Spetty,
Would you like a table layout that is nothing but 'stop' shots? or nothing but 1 foot draw shots? or how about nothing but 1 foot 'follow'? or a mixture of all 3?

I would be glad to set these up and send them to you in a 'table diagram' to boot.

8 ball and 9 ball layouts if you want.

woody_968
10-20-2004, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a logical thought to me. And I think as it becomes easy you could progressivly make it harder.

It would build your confidence if nothing else.

You have worked with Scott havent you? Do you do his 27 ball drill?

Woody

poolguy123
10-20-2004, 08:53 PM
I wish I could remember where I read this to give them credit. (hmm.... might'a been FL)They suggested for practice time before league night to have each person throw all the balls on the table and then take ball in hand and make any shot they KNOW they can make. Then take ball in hand again and shoot only a shot they are comfortable with and CAN make. Do this for the whole rack. Sucess builds confidence was the theory. No one is flustered or bothered with self doubt by any pre-game bad play. I think it could work wonders for some players.

Terry
10-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Hi SPETTY, you can set a table layout up by hand and have like Tom said just stop shots or any variety of simple shots and start there. You could use hole reinforcements so you can run that certain table over and over and then chage your layout to one where you have to move the cueball more but still have simple shot making requirements. You could also run the table in any order until this becomes rather easy. Keep in mind if your missing the run out because of a certain shot or a certain postional play you can't get, i'd work on that shot/positional shot etc. Good Luck, Terry

Anonamus
10-21-2004, 05:25 AM
I think the reason people don't run out as much as they think they should is because they let their anxiety get the better of them. In most run outs the shots themselves aren't that hard. The problem is getting to the key ball or the one slightly more difficult shot in the rack and then tighting up to the point you flub the touch draw or follow through and stick yourself or you just plain miss an easy shot.

If you can get your mind off the outcome of the game and focus on the mechanics and not put to much pressure on yourself (it's just a game) then you will probably start running more racks.

Pool is just a mind game. If that doesn't work playing straight pool will give you the mindset of running alot of balls.

Just my $.02. (I just noticed that they took away the cent sign on the computer keyboard. Must be due to inflation).

Wally_in_Cincy
10-21-2004, 06:22 AM
Play straight pool.

Billy_Bob
10-21-2004, 07:39 AM
I think you have a good idea there! The drills which have helped me the most are those which I have created myself for myself. This helps me practice what I need to practice and addresses a specific problem with *my* game.

What I would suggest is breaking the balls for 8-ball, looking at the position of the cue ball and the solids and stripes, then remove the most difficult set [let's say solids], then mark the spots of all the stripes, cue ball, and eight ball. Then practice running them out. If you miss a shot, replace all the balls where the stickers are and try again.

By breaking the balls to get your layout, it will be a "natural" layout of balls which you probably will encounter again in a real game.

After you master this first layout (could be months of practice), try another break to get a different layout of balls.

Hint: For getting position for your next shot, try just English or try just center ball hits with adjustments in speed. See if you can get position using just one or the other.

SPetty
10-21-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks, y'all, for not making too much fun of me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom, I was thinking something more along the lines of what poster Terry described. Not necessarily straight in shots, but simple shots with natural shape. But what you described might be a good start!

woody_968, you mean Scott's 11 ball drill? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yes, I set it up every now and again and I've never gotten past 18. Well, 16... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

poolguy123, I tend to do something similar after warming up in practice. I first shoot the tougher shots to see how my stroke is behaving that day, then finish up with the easy shots to fool myself into thinking I know how to do it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry, yes, that's what I was thinking of. I thought maybe this had been done before with some known patterns. Maybe someone had already created a drill that used, say, 15 balls. So when running 8-9, it's a short run compared to practice!

Anonamus, yes, I could be a mental case. I like to think that my pre-shot routine, which didn't vary for the missed shot except for taking a break to walk around the table, would overcome the mentality issues. It's not that I don't think I could run them, it's that I think my "muscle memory" doesn't know how because it's unaccustomed to doing it!

Wally, I don't know anyone who would play with me. And I think I'd need an opponent for that to work.

Billy_Bob, that might be a good start. If I can "see" the run, I should be able to make the run. So, I could break and remove balls as you suggest, then rearrange the balls a little to make it "easy" to run and start there.

Thanks for the responses.

Deeman2
10-21-2004, 11:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
Wally, I don't know anyone who would play with me. And I think I'd need an opponent for that to work.

<hr /></blockquote>

SPETTY,

NO, no, no, straight pool is the best "alone" game you can play. You can easily track your high runs and, as I know Wally was thinking, you will start to learn more patterns that will help every game you play. I will make the trip to Petty Point to play you 14.1! Hint, Hint, HInt.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman

SPetty
10-21-2004, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>straight pool is the best "alone" game you can play.

I will make the trip to PettyPoint to play you 14.1! Hint, Hint, HInt.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>Hi Deeman,

Hey, maybe we should get some people together and play some pool sometime, eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif All you guys gotta do is say "when"...

But, I guess my response was about how I practice all the time anyway. I mean, I'll throw 15 balls on the table and whack away at them until they're all gone. The point I was trying to make was that if I had an opponent to play against, then I'd be more interested in not missing when it's my turn. As it is, without an opponent, guess what? If I miss, I keep shooting!

While I don't disagree that 14.1 would be a good practice game, it's all about tight groups and clusters, not to mention that weird break ball thing at the end of the rack /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif, while 8 ball and 9 ball is all about balls spread out and being generally runnable without having to break up groups and clusters too much.

woody_968
10-21-2004, 11:25 AM
woody_968, you mean Scott's 11 ball drill? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yes, I set it up every now and again and I've never gotten past 18. Well, 16... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

I thought it was a 27 ball drill, where you set up 9 balls and take ball in hand shooting them in the other end of the table with lag speed. If you miss you start over and try to get to where you can do 27 (3 sets) without missing. Is this the one you are talking about?

As far as straight pool, like Deeman said you dont have to play someone for this to help, its great to play alone. But for it to really help you cant just play the game, you have to study the game. A book I would recommend is the straight pool bible, easy read and lots of good information. I would also recommend getting a few acustat tapes with good commentary. I can not tell you how much this could improve your 8 ball game (and all the other games). If you are interested in learning straight pool send me a PM and let me know, I may have a couple of goodies for you /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
10-21-2004, 11:32 AM
While I don't disagree that 14.1 would be a good practice game, it's all about tight groups and clusters, not to mention that weird break ball thing at the end of the rack /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif,
<hr /></blockquote>

Actually straight pool is about learning how to play the right patterns, learning to see "stop shot" patterns and patterns that move the cueball around the least is one of the best things this game does for ones game. Its also about playing great position, not good, but GREAT! Not to say you cant make a mistake, but if you start playing the game you will find that to play straight pool well its not "zone" shape like nine ball, you must get on the right side of the balls. I am not trying to scare you off of the game, its just that for those that have never studied and played the game to any extent there is no way to understand all that is involved in this "shoot any ball in any pocket" game /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jjinfla
10-21-2004, 11:37 AM
I find tossing the first 8 balls on the table and starting with ball in hand and running them is quick, enjoyable and a great confidence builder.

I picture it as a game of 8-ball where my opponent made all his balls and scratched on the last one.

Or you can start with 3 balls and the 8 ball and move up to 7 balls and the 8 ball.

Jake

Rod
10-21-2004, 01:37 PM
SPetty,

If it's a drill like Terry and Tom mentioned here is a fairly simple runout. I made it so it's just rolling the balls in. If done correct you don't even need to use english but a little top or low is fine if needed.

Just roll in the one and stop near center table.
START(
%Ap5F3%BL4F0%CG7S7%DL9Y8%EY1F8%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%I r3O6%Po9N3
%Wn0D3%Xo8F5%Yb0P0%Zm0C9
)END

Roll in the two for position on the three so you can roll to the 4.
START(
%At3B7%BL4F0%CG7S7%DL9Y8%EY1F8%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%I r3O6%P`9Q0
%WI9H2%XL8C4%YM1D2%ZM3F4
)END

START(
%At3B7%BB3B4%CH1S8%DL9Y8%EY1F8%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%I r3O6%PY4W3
%WX5X3%XT3[4%YS7[1%ZH5S1
)END

Stop or a slight draw for the 5 in the side. You want this angle straight or cut the 5 to the right. You don't want the c/b to be below the 5.
START(
%At3B7%BB5B6%CB6\0%DL9Y8%EY1F8%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%I r3O6%PY4W3
%Y[0C5%ZN5Y7
)END
Now you have a great angle on the 6, just roll it in which leaves a cut on the 7 for great shape on the 8.
START(
%At3B7%BB5B6%CB6\0%DB6[9%E[3B2%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%Ir3O6%PY0G1
%We3H2%Xd4C7%Yc8D7%ZY9G1
)END

The rest is self explanitory, but you knew that.
START(
%At3B7%BB5B6%CB6\0%DB6[9%E[3B2%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%Ir3O6%Pe4I5
%Wq8T8%Xd3H2%Y`4V9%Zs1T9
)END

There you just run a rack of nineball. LOL I didn't want to make it all stop shots. Just doing this will test your speed control. Remember to walk around the table to look at the angles you want to leave. If you miss position most likely it's speed, but you might need a touch of top or draw as well. These are all basic shots that happen in every game. Tell us if you like it or want something different.

Rod

SPetty
10-21-2004, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>woody_968, you mean Scott's 11 ball drill? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>I thought it was a 27 ball drill, where you set up 9 balls and take ball in hand shooting them in the other end of the table with lag speed. If you miss you start over and try to get to where you can do 27 (3 sets) without missing.<hr /></blockquote>Well, maybe for you it's a 27 ball drill... Yeah, I was just making a lame joke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
10-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks, Rod. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I truly appreciate the trouble you went to to work it up on the wei table for me. I probably won't have time to try it until next week some time, but I'll definitely get back with you and let you know how it's working for me.

woody_968
10-21-2004, 05:18 PM
DOH, your joke went right over my head LOL

sorry bout that /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SPetty
11-08-2004, 02:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I'll definitely get back with you and let you know how it's working for me. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Rod,

Well, it was too hard for me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I couldn't get from the 2 ball to the 3 ball per your suggested diagram. I don't know how to hold up the cue ball when slicing the two ball so thinly down the rail. But... if I faked it and "cheated" from the 2 to the 3, the rest of it worked like a charm.

Did anyone else happen to try this?

Rod
11-08-2004, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how to hold up the cue ball when slicing the two ball so thinly down the rail. <hr /></blockquote>

Humm, the 2 ball isn't far from straight in. What happened, did you leave your self a big angle? There is more than one way to play from the two to the three. But it would take a little draw. I originally set it up as a forward roll shot which should be easier.

Here is another way, actually there are more depending if you get in trouble or not. LOL And don't say it was to hard for me. That's a cop out, play better position on the two so you can get to the three. It's going to be a follow shot either way, either above or below the three. Coffee break is over back to the drill. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
START(
%At3B7%BL4F0%CG7S7%DL9Y8%EY1F8%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%I r3O6%PR7K7
%WR7J8%XN2C3%YM6D2%ZM3F4%[C8S6%\F9S1%]W9V9%^C4S5
)END

Rod
11-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Well wait a sec. Why don't we just move the two for time being. Give it a try from here. START(
%Ap5F3%BF8G3%CG7S7%DL9Y8%EY1F8%Fe4D5%Gr0V2%Hi3Y8%I r3O6%Po9N3
%UD0H6%VF5H0%Wn0D3%Xo8F5%Yb0P0%Zm0C9%]G7K8%^C5H9
)END

CarolNYC
11-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Hey Spetty,
How are you?
When your throwing out,say,9 balls on the time (no clusters),approach EVERY ball the same way,shoot center,go with the natural path,look where your cue goes,natural path of cueball,keep it simple,it'll be a speed issue-set a goal-me, its running more than 47 in straight on MY table-patterns will take time to see-I remember racking for a dear friend of mine , Danny (Barouty)-I racked well /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif-I think 10x without a shot,ha ha ha-he was teaching me straight then, and I stood behind him on EVERY shot-it looked so simple--I think its hard to try to come up with "running rack" drill cause opponents leave you where you dont want to be!You wont ALWAYS have an open table-I do a drill,some say its hard, but thats me-
throw all 15 balls out,none on the rail and pocket them without hitting a rail!
Do that ten times in a row!
I know, Im obsessed!
love ya,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluey2king
11-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks I have been working Hard on trying to run a rack of 9 ball I just can't get it done..yet. I am going to try this.
Thanks
Bluey2King

SPetty
11-09-2004, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>Humm, the 2 ball isn't far from straight in.<hr /></blockquote>Oh, maybe that's the problem. I think I had the two ball too close to the rail on this one. I'll get back with you... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif