PDA

View Full Version : Saluc (Aramith) on specs of their cue balls

Leviathan
10-22-2004, 06:29 AM
Saluc (Aramith) replied today to a question I sent them some time ago:

Q: Can you tell me whether the Super Aramith Pro Cup cue ball (the one that is marked with red spots that indicate the speed and direction of the ball's rotation) differs from the standard (all-white) Super Aramith cue ball in weight or in smoothness?

A: Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your August 9 e.mail received during our annual shutdown. Sorry for this late reply.

Kindly note both cue balls have the same specifications.

Best regards.

ARAMITH - BELGIUM

Anonamus
10-22-2004, 10:41 AM
I've e-mailed them as well and their replies always seem to answer the question, but not definitively. They say the finish differs but the size and weight are the same. I don't believe this to be true.

What I have found out about CB's lately is that the Blue Circle CB and the Aramith Logo (or triangle) CB are both the same size, weight and have the same finish. The Red Circle CB is smaller, lighter and has a differnet finish. Some people say the red circle CB finish is more creamy looking. I think it is translucent looking. If you don't believe me go to a PH where they have a red circle CB and place it in the middle of 2 OB's. Next, place a rack on it's side over all 3 balls (like a straight edge) and roll them with the rack. You will see that the red circle CB stays in place while the other 2 balls move with the rack. This is because the OB's are bigger. Now if the red circle CB is smaller in size than more than likely it is lighter too.

All the pros prefer the red circle CB and although I have never seen the polka dot ball up close I would imagine it is the same as the red circle CB. If it wasn't, the pros wouldn't play with it.

Why do the pros favor the red circle CB? I believe since it is lighter and smaller it draws easier and it has more bounce off the OB. The heavy CB plows through the OB. So, to get the CB to back up a little on a cut shot you have to put more draw and a harder hit on the heavier CB. Therefore, you can hit the lighter CB with a lighter touch. This comes in very handy for games like one pocket.

fotowriter
10-23-2004, 05:56 AM
I'd love to get a real answer on this. I asked a Saluc sales rep several years ago at the trade show just what the differences were between different sets of balls. He told me there was no difference whatsoever except in design. He said that the Centennial balls they make for Brunswick are the same balls as the Aramith Pro balls and that ALL cue balls, be they red circle, logo, blue circle, or whatever are the same size, finish and weight. I told him I had seen a cueball given the rack test the previous poster described and that the cue ball was smaller than the object balls. He replied that that would be only due to wear on the cue ball, that cue balls wear down the same way a rock wears down in a river.

Me? I aint got a clue. <font color="black"> </font color>

JimS
10-23-2004, 07:10 AM
I just took two Centennial balls and did the rack test with a new red circle cue ball and with another used red circle cue ball. They appeared to be the same size...all rolled when the rack was placed on them. Go figure.

SnakebyteXX
10-23-2004, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just took two Centennial balls and did the rack test with a new red circle cue ball and with another used red circle cue ball. They appeared to be the same size... <hr /></blockquote>

I just tested a brand new Aramith Red Circle cue ball and a brand new Centennial Blue Circle cue ball in my secret underground cue ball weighing laboratory.

Drum Roll.....

Red Circle cue ball = 166.6 grams
Blue Circle cue ball = 168.8 grams

Conclusion: The Aramith Red Circle cue ball is lighter by 2.2 grams. There is also a distinct color difference between the two cue balls. The Centennial Blue Circle cue ball is whiter in color whereas the Aramith Red Circle cue ball has more of a darker, richer, Ivory (yellowish?) tint to it.

According to an email response from Aramith that I've shamelessly purloined from another forum:

Saluc said -

--&gt; The Centennials and the Super Aramith Pros are made from the identical resin, and to the same specs.

--&gt; The cueballs that come with those two sets are made from the same resin and are also identical. The Blue Circle comes with the Centennials, while the Red Triangle comes with the Pros.

--&gt; The Super Aramiths (non-Pros) are made from a "carom" resin.

--&gt; The Red Circle cueball comes with the Super Aramiths, and is made of the same material, i.e., the carom resin.

Saluc says the Super Aramith resin is "the one preferred in Carom professional use..

IMHO: The Aramith Red Circles may bounce better (more resilliant) because, not only are they lighter, but as logic would seem to dictate - carom balls are made with rebounding in mind.

It may also be useful to note that 'lighter' does NOT necessarily equate with 'smaller'. Both cue balls may in fact be identical in circumference. My underground cue ball circumference testing laboratory is still under construction so I can not give a definitive answer on that one at this point in time.

Hope this helps.

Snake

houseman
10-23-2004, 11:52 AM
in 12 years in the pool room business, i have bought new cue balls about 3 times because they get smaller from doing the most rolling and abuse of being hit the most.