PDA

View Full Version : I met a billionaire today! Cowboys owner! (long)

armandito
10-24-2004, 12:17 AM
For those sports fans, I met Jerry Jones (owner/president of the Dallas Cowboys) !!!

I've been a Dallas Cowboys fan all my life (yes, I have a photo from when I was a couple years old wearing a Cowboys sweatshirt). My brother is wearing a Packers sweatshirt in the same photo. Destiny. He now likes the Steelers, but I married a Green Bay beauty 25 yrs later. I ended up moving here (Green Bay, Wisconsin, Titletown, the "Frozen" tundra) ten years ago from Mexico, and having to endure being, oh, so different. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<font color="red">
Dallas Cowboys @ Green Bay Packers, October 24, 3:15pm </font color>
My wife surprises me./ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm going to the game!!! ROW 8, 40 yd line, COWBOYS side!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But I'm greedy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Last time the Cowboys were in town (with the triplets and Deion a year after their last Super Bowl) we went to the hotel where the team stays. Hotel was PACKED, they tried sneaking the players thru a back door, while sending the coaches thru the front. I figured it out. Got within 3 feet of Aikman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Today I packed early and headed to meet some Cowboys. WEIRD day. While driving we noticed about 10 police cars on hwy. Sky looked strange. Very cloudy.
We went to the airport, didn't see anybody, so headed to the hotel. Things got stranger. Wife said that the AC wasn't working. I couldn't figure it out. We arrive to the hotel area and alarms sound off !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif People are staring at the sky !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif IT'S ALMOST NOVEMBER AND THE TORNADO ALARMS WERE OFF !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Parked in a Loading/5 min zone. Went inside the hotel. Came back for wife/kids and went to the hotel basement !!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif There really was a tornado warning!!! Really, really strange. Three warnings total. Down, up, down, up, down, up-downpour, clear. 45 minutes. All this, while I was carrying my 6 month old, and my 2 yr old kept calling Grandma to tell her we were safe. Then, we had lunch.

More, and more football fans kept showing up. I finally moved my van and properly parked it. Probably about 100 Cowboys fans, everybody is carrying something to get a signature. Everybody knows they should be close, and everybody at the hotel pretends the Cowboys are not staying there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Way in the distance... police car lights... two-maybe three big charter buses... Hotel security closes an area of the hotel, and of the sidewalk. Everybody goes towards that area. I remembered from last time. Stayed at the front door, just in case they were going to turn around the back. I figured, I could cut through the hotel and get there faster than everybody else. I have my two month old with me. I have his Cowboys jersey and TWO sharpies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

SUSPENSE!!!

The motorcade has slowed down. They are about 3 blocks away. My wife, my two children and I are the only ones in front of the hotel entrance. Everybody else is by the "secured" area, about 600 ft away.

The hotel van/shuttle pulls in front of the hotel. Bellboy picks up 4 small bags. Out come 4 men and 1 lady, very well dressed. I assume just one of the networks. Hotel manager actually meets them/helps them out of the van/hands them envelopes with keys. I'm looking at the distance, trying to figure out if the motorcade is going to turn. My wife pats me on the shoulder and says "Hey, it's him!!!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Jerry Jones. Fixing his jacket, opened his envelope. There's only four people and my family. Before I said anything, he looks at me (I'm wearing a Cowboys shirt) and shakes my hand. All I could say was: "Hi, Mr. Jones" /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif . He says hi to my wife, pinches my 6m-o on the cheek, and high fives my 2y-o. "Welcome to Green Bay!", I say (we're not even in Green Bay, but Appleton). /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
He asks if we're from Appleton, and I try to explain my affiliation to the Cowboys in 5 words /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. He turns around and helps the lady next to him, and introduces his wife to us!!! He then introduces his son (Cowboys GM) to us. I don't completely remember everything I said. Welcome, have a good day, etc. We probably talked 2 minutes, very nice people. It seemed like 1/2 a second. He says: "Nice meeting you, and thanks for coming", they turn around and go inside the hotel.

My wife and I just stare at each other (I think she'll change teams now!) for a couple of minutes. Nobody else around. We're left wondering if it really happened /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
Then the buses park. We tried getting close. Too much security, too many people. All players go straight inside, only a couple wave back to the crowd. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

We leave and go take the kids to the playground. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

WEIRD DAY.
I'M STILL NOT SURE IT HAPPENED.
I'LL REPORT TOMORROW AFTER THE GAME.

thanks for reading my rantings!!!

dg-in-centralpa
10-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Back in the mid 70's, I was in the high school band. We were invited to play at half time of the Eagles/Cowboys game at Vet Stadium. As with any band doing a drill, we start on the visiting team side. As were linig up to go on the field, Roger Staubach and Ed"Too Tall"Jones were right in front of me, along with a few others I can't remember anymore.

DG - hated the cowboys 'cause they defeated my Dolphins in '70 or '71, can't remember which