PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here seen a 'Spider' in action?

SnakebyteXX
10-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Anyone seen this new aim training device up close and personal? - I just saw it demo'd on "The 2004 International Challenge of Champions". Looks pretty cool, but the demo didn't really do it justicee. Is it affordable and does it really work?

ABOUT THE SPIDER™:

The Spider™ is the world’s first pool trainer that teaches the four basic concepts of shot making:

1. The object ball spot (where to contact the object ball)

2. The target line (where to ball will travel)

3. The cue ball deflection line (where the cue ball will travel after contact)

4. The cue ball circle (what spot on the cue ball to use)

The Spider™ sits on the pool table and uses a series of pointing laser beams to show you the exact spots for targeting, hitting and setting yourself up for the next play. The patented invention uses laser technology and illumination to teach the key concepts of shot making while the person is playing, versus videos or self-helps books.

It is a fun, easy and fast way to become a better pool player, no matter the skill level.

Each Spider™ package comes a hard-shell carrying case, 4 AA batteries, 2 Spider clocks, and an instructional video commentated by Jeanette Lee and Allen Hopkins.

Allen Hopkins Endorses The Spider (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/9/prweb156711.htm )

pooltchr
10-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I saw one at the BCA show this past spring. Yes, it does work, and is a great aim trainer to help you "see" the ghost ball, as well as the intenden ob path.
Cost justified? That's a decision for everyone to make on their own. How difficult is it for you to see the correct aiming point? This will help if that is a problem in your game.
Steve

Popcorn
10-24-2004, 05:50 PM
I just went to the web site and they have a video that demonstrates it. We use to do basically the same thing with a little paper cut out to indicate where the cue ball should hit the object ball. Even beginning players can understand what they should be trying to do with just the piece of paper. You can even draw chalk lines on the table to make it easier to see the angle. I would have a hard time believing Hopkins no longer knows where to hit the ball after all these years that he needs a training device. Could help a beginner I guess understand the concept.

cycopath
10-25-2004, 12:41 PM
My wife played with the one at the APA Team Nationals this year. At first she thought it was "pretty cool", then after the guy trying to sell her on it for about 30 minutes or so she thought it was too "gimmicky".

SPetty
10-25-2004, 01:37 PM
I saw it at the USOpen, and I liked it for what it was. It helps you see the contact point on the object ball, and helps you find the ghost ball, and helps with the contact point to contact point aiming system.

However, the reason I wasn't thrilled with it is that I don't think that the knowledge was transferable to the table without the Spider. That is, I believe I could learn how to hit the laser highlighted spot on the object ball in order to pocket the object ball but I'm not sure that after the laser was turned off and the Spider was removed, that its usage would have any meaning.

Okay, I'm still not explaining it right...

I really liked it, I'm just not sure it was an effective training device.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-25-2004, 03:09 PM
I also took some time to look at this 'spider' thingy.

If you have trouble setting up the ghost ball aiming system, this little jewel might be worth the cost. BUT, IMO, only if you are having grasping the idea of a 'ghost ball'.

Might be a good class room gagit for instructors. Students are very good about learning from visuals.