PDA

View Full Version : Drawing the Big Rock

05-17-2002, 10:24 AM
I live in a small community that is inundated with bar boxes. So, it stands to reason that, that is where the action is and manipulation of the big rock is a must. Yes, I know that controling her is a bit more of a challenge. And I've done well for myself, however, I suffered a game halting injury that put me out of commission for 4 months. When I came back to the table some things were shaky, memory lapses here and there but the true game is in sight. My problem is that all of a sudden I send the cueball off the table when I draw, especially when I draw and use english it's frightful. To stop the bleeding, and save my pocket. I quit following through and just do a powerful level jab. It works and I get the distance but I know it's not right and I don't want to perfect a flaw, even if it works for me. I don't have this problem with the small rock but the action isn't around the small rock. Some one of you bar pros must know what I'm experiencing. Please shed some light. Why would following through fail while the incorrect jab draw succeed?

Kato
05-17-2002, 11:02 AM
Kahn, are you digging under the cue ball without realizing it? Concentrate on just hitting 1 tip below center, might help. Can't fear your stroke though. Gotta pick your spot and let it fly.

Kato

heater451
05-17-2002, 02:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> Kahn, are you digging under the cue ball without realizing it? Concentrate on just hitting 1 tip below center, might help. Can't fear your stroke though. Gotta pick your spot and let it fly.

Kato <hr></blockquote>

The only thing I can think to add is that maybe you're seriously getting too much power/speed into the cueball. And, when a larger-than-object-ball cue ball hits, it "ramps up" the object ball and flies like Kinievel!

Rod
05-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Kahn, it's stroke mechanics. By now that big ball has you intimidated and your more than a little hesitant to send the cue through low with a normal stroke. There is a place for the punch draw, but as you already know not on every shot.
To get off the path for a moment, playing position with the big ball is best done with follow when possible. Let the weight of the ball work for you. The game is played a little different with that ball compared to a standard ball, so you need to think about before playing position on the next shot, especially a long straight draw, which isn't desirable with any ball. I'm sure you know by now it is much easier to leave and angle and let the combination of low and side english get you back for position.

If I had a video from any position when you miscue, but better from the side or back view, it would reveal the "problem's." What I'd see is a player that steers the cue. That is done by a tight grip which causes upper arm, and shoulder movement. That in turn will cause body and head movement. You do need to see what your shooting at and thats real tough when your moving. I'd also see the butt of the cue lift up as you get towards impact. You get away with that to a degree with the punch because it's a short stroke, and you probably brace your self more when you shoot. Playing rigid can be done but your going to have a hard time with finesse, not to mention being accurate.

My suggestion is go back to basics. Hold the cue fairly light with constant pressure. When you practice, and especially draw shots, be aware of your grip pressure and notice the tendacy to get tight, not only on the cue but in your arm. It starts at the cue though. I've never seen anyone with a relaxed grip and a tight arm, something to think about. Relax your shoulder and neck muscles thats another tension area. The cue will go right where you aim, if it is not steered by part of the body.
You arm will just "ride" the cue through impact with a nice follow through, if you "let" it happen.

For practice start out slow with a short distance between the balls up to 18" at a slower pace, we'll call it med slow. Place the o/b abt 2 ball widths off the long rail and the cue ball at a slight angle, practice draw and follow using the rail. If you hit the c/b where you intend to, which is the reason for a slowed down pace, and also be aware of swinging the weight of the cue, where the relaxed grip and body parts comes into play it will pay big dividends with little effort. When you feel more confident, you can add a little more speed. When you do that be aware of any changes such as tension and forcing the cue.
We all have a limit on power and be under control.
The quality of the hit is a lot more important that using force, and with less effort be in control!

As a foot note please don't think I'm degrading your game or that you don't know anything. We all have problems and there best solved at the begining, in many cases.
Good Luck, and I hope this helps.

05-17-2002, 07:04 PM
When you stop learning, you stop improving.
Thank you.

Bob C
05-18-2002, 09:39 AM
I have the same problem sometimes. If I absolutely have to hit a big draw shot I look at the cue last, ala Scott Lee. This might work for you in an occasional tough spot when you're not stroking too well, but I think Rod's advice is right on the money for a permanent solution. Bob C