PDA

View Full Version : Ga Young wins

Rod
10-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Don't know the details it was just posted without a score. Great, it's about time. LOL

Rod

9 Ball Girl
10-24-2004, 07:02 PM
She beat Karen Corr! Which means that Allison gets knocked out of her #1 position, and, hopefully Ga Young gets the cover of BD. (Me and my cover-worthy issues lately...LOL)

Anyway, good for Ga Young. Much deserved, and I could only imagine what must've been going through her head being that she was in the same situation last year. Except this year, she went undefeated. How strong is that?

Rod
10-24-2004, 07:14 PM
That's real strong. Bet she had a few memories of last year before that match. I've never seen her or Melissa play and I hope to watch when it comes out on TV.

Rod

CarolNYC
10-25-2004, 03:18 AM
Congratulations to Ga Young!

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
10-25-2004, 05:54 AM
I'm not positive, but I think I heard it was a hill match

9 Ball Girl
10-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Yup, they went hill-hill again!

Read It Here on AZB (http://www.azbilliards.com)

Wally_in_Cincy
10-25-2004, 08:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> ... Bet she had a few memories of last year before that match....
<hr /></blockquote>

As Earl would say...

JUSTICE !!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-25-2004, 08:49 AM
I predict that Kim will dazzle us for a long, long time to come, and I am personally ready as all git for somebody with flair like her's. Watching methodical and deliberate style players has gotten to be boring. Kim Ga Young may just be the spice to keep me watching these TV matches. It's fairly apparent to me that the American women players except for J. Lee has about settled to below the top three rungs, and that's a shame because many of them are very inventive and fun to watch. Kim's gonna be real interesting to catch when she plays, I've liked her game a lot since seeing her televised matches from last year...sid

Rich R.
10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Kim's gonna be real interesting to catch when she plays, I've liked her game a lot since seeing her televised matches from last year...sid <hr /></blockquote>
Sid, she is even more interesting to watch in person. She is a very agressive player with a lot of knowledge of the table. Her kick shots are nothing short of amazing.
I believe she was a billiards player, before turning to pool.

I think you are right, she will be a force, in the WPBA.

9 Ball Girl
10-25-2004, 11:47 AM
A force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. She's not a touring pro yet, right? Now there's a girl who can play! I've seen her in person too and she has that style of agressive fearless play that I like.

Deeman2
10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> A force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. She's not a touring pro yet, right? Now there's a girl who can play! I've seen her in person too and she has that style of agressive fearless play that I like. <hr /></blockquote>

I thought she was a TP but maybe not. I think she expresses herself much better than most players. As someone else said, you get tired of the same expressionless players and I think Ga Young has an attitude and expressiveness that reaches across language/ cultural barriers. I think we can all see a little of our own frustration in her as she misses a shot. You hurt for her when she misses.

I agree, she'll be around for a while and will garner great support.

Deeman

9 Ball Girl
10-25-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't know how often the WPBA updates their website but Ga Young's name is not one of the profiles listed. I would be very disappointed if she doesn't make the cover of BD cause I'm sure she'll make the other covers (there I go again!)

Gayle in MD
10-25-2004, 05:06 PM
That's great. I met her in Arnold at a CAT Tourney, and she was really a nice person. I'm really happy for her, especially since she has come so close before and then lost at the last moment.

Great News,
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nostroke
10-25-2004, 06:38 PM
No one can know just how happy I am for her. It would have been just too brutal if Karen had beaten her on the Hill again.

From my weak memory this is a little recap. GYK never was behind. At 6-4. Karen broke in the nine to make it 6-5. Karen won the next game after GYK played a combo and her object ball got moved behind the nine. Instead of playing a kick safe, she went for a cut that wasnt there apparently and fouled. Karen ran the last four balls to get to the Hill AND the Break.

She broke- made a ball but couldnt see the one to make it. She pushed 3 inches too far leaving GYK a thin but prettty easy cut on the one. GYK shot a hundred miles an hour, making it and blasting into a ball or two. The two was hanging all along.She made it and ran to the nine where she had pretty perfect position. The crowd started whooping it up and GYK remembering last year's miss of course, put her finger to her lips and gave the crowd the Shush sign- cute as could be, and then made the nine for the win.

Karen gave a nice little speech, praising GYK just as she did last year. What a great player and person Karen is. Her focus is unequaled anywhere.

BTW Ga-Young has NO SPONSORS-NONE!!

Many think her English is holding her back but anyone that saw her work the Pro AM Wed Nite knows that her personality transcends any language barrier.

IMHO She speaks very well right now. I have had lots of conversations with her and she is able to communicate anything she wants to. It isnt perfect but it's a lot better than my Mandarin or Korean for sure.

She is self conscious about her English so currently she is reluctant to say much to anyone but the other players and her friends. When she gets over that, hopefully things will get better for her-sponsor wise. But even now, it's hard to believe some outfit won't at least pay her entry fee and get a mention every match she plays and more.

9 Ball Girl
10-26-2004, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr>The crowd started whooping it up and GYK remembering last year's miss of course, put her finger to her lips and gave the crowd the Shush sign- cute as could be, and then made the nine for the win. <hr /></blockquote>

Priceless.

cuechick
10-26-2004, 02:24 PM
I would think she could get a sponsor pretty easily in Korea, as Jennifer Chen has done in Taiwan, she just needs an agent. If billiards is as popular there as in other asian countires... I would think she could write her own ticket?