PDA

View Full Version : Sturborness To Change

Sid_Vicious
10-25-2004, 07:06 AM
I had an experience that taught me something in general, that I can be too stubborn for my own good. It was s simple thing, the white Raven tip on my Stealth was posished smooth, I'd never textured it because I thought I'd "allow it to develop itself" like I do all my other play cues. Well, I can't tell you how many embarrassed failures I've had with that JC over several weeks, yesterday I simply put in in the shaping tool for a couple of quick rotations and the first jump I made cleared everything!

Is all this rocket science, no. It did tell me though that I was limiting myself by being so rigid in one phylosophy. I'm not changing(roughing) all of my tips mind you, this one will see attention though. Thanks for listening...sid~~~looks forward to working with the Stealth again

Deeman2
10-25-2004, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I had an experience that taught me something in general, that I can be too stubborn for my own good. It was s simple thing, the white Raven tip on my Stealth was posished smooth, I'd never textured it because I thought I'd "allow it to develop itself" like I do all my other play cues. Well, I can't tell you how many embarrassed failures I've had with that JC over several weeks, yesterday I simply put in in the shaping tool for a couple of quick rotations and the first jump I made cleared everything!

Is all this rocket science, no. It did tell me though that I was limiting myself by being so rigid in one phylosophy. I'm not changing(roughing) all of my tips mind you, this one will see attention though. Thanks for listening...sid~~~looks forward to working with the Stealth again <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

When you say you are not roughing your other tips, what do you mean? I assume that you want chalk to hold on the tip or am I getting something wrong here? How would it "develop itself"? Would the tip not become smoother and smoother over time allowing for a less textured and, therefore, a surface that does not hold chalk as well.

Inquiring minds want to know! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman
the rougher the better, sex and tips....

Rich R.
10-25-2004, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I had an experience that taught me something in general, that I can be too stubborn for my own good. <hr /></blockquote>
I think we all have a little of this stubbornness in us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>I'm not changing(roughing) all of my tips mind you, this one will see attention though. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm sorry to say, this sounds like more of the same stubbornness, but if it works for you, that is all that counts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, I don't rough up my cue tips often, but I am not opposed to it either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-25-2004, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>

...I don't rough up my cue tips often, but I am not opposed to it either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Of course it's always handy to have a tip scuffer in your pocket when Gabe Owen is playing in the semi-finals of the US Open and looks into the stands and says "Does anybody have a tip scuffer?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally &lt;~~ figures Gabe owes Rich R. a favor /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
10-25-2004, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Of course it's always handy to have a tip scuffer in your pocket when Gabe Owen is playing in the semi-finals of the US Open and looks into the stands and says "Does anybody have a tip scuffer?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally &lt;~~ figures Gabe owes Rich R. a favor /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-25-2004, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

...Would the tip not become smoother and smoother over time allowing for a less textured and, therefore, a surface that does not hold chalk as well....<hr /></blockquote>

Mine become glassy after about 3 or 4 hours of play, therefore I scuff. Sid says if you chalk on every shot scuffing is not necessarily required but I have not found that to be the case and I do chalk on every shot.

Deeman2
10-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Wally,

Thanks, I know Sid is a rational guy (expect for politics) and wondered why he believed as he stated. I also chalk on every shot but still have to tap, scuff and wash under the armpits every few hours of play.

I'll get Sid to share his entire theory with me on our next face to face.

Deeman
has been known to spit in Sid's chalk....

bsmutz
10-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I thought you were supposed to rough up your tip after every missed shot. (Or is that your opponent?)

Deeman2
10-25-2004, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I thought you were supposed to rough up your tip after every missed shot. (Or is that your opponent?) <hr /></blockquote>

If I did that, I'd be replacing tips every day! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

However, I am now much too old and much too wise to try to rough up my opponent. The last time I got into a fight with an opponent, they whupped my butt good and she couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs. wheelchair and all... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
10-25-2004, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I thought you were supposed to rough up your tip after every missed shot...
<hr /></blockquote>

Actually it's after a mis-cue. But first you must look at the tip in an accusatory fashion as if it were the guilty party in the whole affair.

Sid_Vicious
10-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Dee...No, my Moori tips, the Talismans and the Lepro tips I have dotted around on my cues get one dressing, the one right after install. After that I don't scuff or pick no matter how glossy it may seem to be. if I make a miscue, I merely realize I did not chalk or else I have one of my many stroke flaws back, in which case I go back home and drill my stroke, witout any chalk at all, that's just my way, nobody told me to do it that way. Deno Andrews once gave me a Moori in person and the subject of dressing the tip was asked, his advice was that leaving the tip shallow, a nickel at best, and then NEVER doing anything to it, would allow it to go to the shape of your personal playing style. He added that even a piece of glass would hold chalk if applied properly, that's much of the reason I had not scratched on the Raven when I started bunting jumps. I now feel that Deno is still right but the awkward physics involved with the jump stroke using synthetic tip materials won't fit the same analogy as I'm using on every other tip, which BTW works for me.

Short answer, yes I do not touch my tips except with chalk, and possibly if I get any slight mushrooming, but then it's only one time. Mine certainly appear shiny to scrutinous eyes, don't matter to me...sid

Rod
10-25-2004, 12:38 PM
We're all stubborn to some degree so nothing unusual there. I rarely scuff my tip, well I never scuff my tip in the physical sense scuff is meant. Servicing them after hours of play though isn't a bad idea.

Are we to think it's always our stroke so the tip could never be a problem? Well I don't think so in the sense if the tip is always in good condition then it is our stroke. You found out otherwise with that real hard tip and it exists even with a play tip.

Having said that the idea of allowing it to develope I think is natural and it works. Chalk is a natural abrasive so with your chalking and shooting style it develops your own personal curvature. That may be the same as near 1/2 of the pool population but you created it.

Personally I never put the tip inside the chalk. I use the edge instead, turn the cue with my right hand and wipe from the lower edge to below the top guiding the chalk with my left hand. The very top rarely gets any chalk, two movements with my right and left hand and the tip is chalked.

Ok you didn't really want to hear how I chalk which leads me to knurling the tip. I do near the same as chalking but I hold the file still in the palm my left hand. I then roll and push the shaft/tip against the file with my right hand. 1 pass for the lower edge and 1 pass for mid distance to the top. It takes 15 seconds tops. That's it, it takes well longer to get the file and put it back. Not only does it just put a light texture on the tip but it doesn't remove any material. You can do the same with a phenolic tip as well.

No sanding, fuzzies, annoying tip tapping, keeping opponent waiting and the list goes on. That's only when the tip looks glazed and not holding chalk as well. Might be a few hours or days but they do need service once in a while. I've had near miscues getting a little far out which is a signal as well. I surely don't have a routine time but if I did I won't be grinding the tip away as I see so often.

~~rod, gets lots of mileage out of tips. It's like driving a smaller car compared to a big gas hog. LOL OK, I'm thrifty! HA HA HA

Deeman2
10-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Sid,

Well Sid. I have seen you shoot and it sure works for you so I guess it is "to each his own" and I certainly respect your opinion. I am so ingrained into my tip care I probably won't ever change it. I have had several say that layered tips are like coming out of the stone age but I'll keep using my 30 year old water buffalos as I bought them back in the day and I don't see people with layered tips getting as much action as I do. It's all personal preference I know.

Deeman
killing one water buffalo was probably enough....

stickman
10-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Sid, I sold my homemade jump/break. I sure miss it, but will make another one before long. As much as I loved the white raven tip, I have also used the black raven tip and think I like the black ones just a little better. They seem to hold chalk just a little better, grip a little better, and jump nearly as good. That's what I'll use when I build another one.

Jim

Rich R.
10-26-2004, 03:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>Ok you didn't really want to hear how I chalk which leads me to knurling the tip. I do near the same as chalking but I hold the file still in the palm my left hand. I then roll and push the shaft/tip against the file with my right hand. 1 pass for the lower edge and 1 pass for mid distance to the top. It takes 15 seconds tops. That's it, it takes well longer to get the file and put it back. Not only does it just put a light texture on the tip but it doesn't remove any material. You can do the same with a phenolic tip as well.<hr /></blockquote>
Rod, you can use the same method with a Brad Scuffer or a Tip Tapper and they are both small enough to carry in your pocket, when playing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
That way you save all that time it takes to get the file and put it away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the advice on the black tip Jim...sid

Rod
10-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Rich,

I use the tip tapper as a knurling tool. I just don't carry it around in my pocket because I seldom use it.

rod, doesn't want heavy objects in pockets /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif