PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about improving games.

05-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Come on guys once upon a time as I read this board, I could learn so much about the game. It's like overnight everyone became a pro and no one has any serious questions to ask. I personally spend 3 hours a day on the table practicing solo and I know I am no wheres close to where I want to be because some things just elude me. I think the importance of these boards is being lost. I don't mean to disrespect anyone, honestly, all men are entitled to there own opionions and most certainly there own questions but damn, back in the days knowledge was hard to get. Secrets were purposely hidden. We finally have a medium that cuts out all that egoism and secrecy but we aren't using it right, at least not for awhile. Can we discuss the game and the things we want to learn vs. the pros who already have the knowledge we want and want to charge us for it? Once again, no disrespect intended. I'm just thirsty. Here are a few gems.

1)When is the best time to attempt a run out in 8?

2)If the rack is still rather together after the break in 8 should you try and break it open when making the next shot or peel it like and orange as in 14.1?

3)Is there a particular strategy one should employ when playing last pocket 8 ball? (Called last pocket. This is a game where the player must sink the eight in the same pocket as his last pocketed ball)

Jay M
05-17-2002, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
1)When is the best time to attempt a run out in 8?
<hr></blockquote>

This one has quite a few factors to take into consideration.

1) are you capable of running the table? If not, then you need to be prepared to work the table the hard way via safeties.

2) Layout - is everything wide open with no blocked pockets? If so, then run it, if not, ask yourself if you can MAKE it wide open.

3) Break-outs - do you have any that you have to make? do the breakouts that exist have a ball in a position that will allow you to break them without having to turn the cue ball loose?

5) Opponent's position - if your opponent shot first and cleared most of their balls off, you don't HAVE to run the table to win, move your balls around the table into favorable positions for a run while leaving your opponent safe...don't try this if you aren't a good safety player, they need to be lock-down safeties each time.

The absolute worst thing you can do in 8 ball is to run all of your balls off the table except 1, your opponent can sit and pick away at theirs and play you safe from nearly anywhere on the table. If you get out of line and don't see a way to get back in line, play safe. If you get into a position where you have to take a ball that was supposed to be used for breaking out another, DON'T shoot it, play safe. If you remove all of your break-out options and don't get the breakout so that you have to do something spectacular to continue the run...don't do it, take your time and out-think your opponent. It's better to hunt and peck balls out of the pack than to play in such a way that you are betting the whole game on a single shot that has a low probablity of being made.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
2)If the rack is still rather together after the break in 8 should you try and break it open when making the next shot or peel it like and orange as in 14.1?
<hr></blockquote>

See the above. This depends on skill level, if you are a decent straight pool player you may want to pick away at the rack. If your opponent seems to like to take chances, let them break it for you.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>3)Is there a particular strategy one should employ when playing last pocket 8 ball? (Called last pocket. This is a game where the player must sink the eight in the same pocket as his last pocketed ball) <hr></blockquote>

look at the eight and decide which pocket is going to be easiest to make the shot. Look for the ball that is going to be the easiest to make in the same pocket and still get a leave. Work your way backwards through the rack from there to make your plan. re-evaluate the plan any time you don't get the leave you planned for on a ball.
(this works for all games, not just last pocket)

Jay M

jjinfla
05-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Jay, Are you going to enter Charlie's 9-ball tournament at the end of the month? Jake

Jay M
05-17-2002, 11:54 AM
I didn't know about it, I'll have to call him and get the details.

Jay M

05-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Jay M, you sound like an authority, and I appreciate the detailed information. As for my ability to run out, lets put it like this. On the practice table, in ten tries I'll run out from the crack 3 or 4 times. As the second player on a partially run table with maybe three opponents balls I'll run it 6 times. Put me in a game with some change on the line. I'll run out once from the top and 3 times as the player coming to the table. I guess I need to start playing the table and not my opponent, but that is easier said than done you know. I'll have to take your advice to the pool hall and see what happens. It's funny how the more you learn, the better you get but there is hardly a fool proof method to deal with nerves and its negative effect on stroke. Thank you

Jay M
05-17-2002, 12:17 PM
heh, I guess I have to wait for Charlie to get home before I call him, I'd hate to ring his cell while he's playing the finals...lol

In the meantime, if anyone has a link to the tourney information, could you please post it for me?

Jay M