PDA

View Full Version : World Summit of Pool on ESPN2 10/26 8pm-12am

RLipson
10-25-2004, 07:29 PM
The UPA is proud to announce that the Michelob AmberBock World Summit of Pool will be televised on ESPN2 Tuesday October 26th from 8pm to midnight.

Four great matches featuring four great players: Mike Davis, Danny Harriman, Santos Sambajon, and Earl Strickland. I won't give away the ending for those who don't know the results, but I promise that one of the matches is for the ages and two others are cliffhangers.

Fred Agnir
10-26-2004, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RLipson:</font><hr> The UPA is proud to announce that the Michelob AmberBock World Summit of Pool will be televised on ESPN2 Tuesday October 26th from 8pm to midnight.

Four great matches featuring four great players: Mike Davis, Danny Harriman, Santos Sambajon, and Earl Strickland. I won't give away the ending for those who don't know the results, but I promise that one of the matches is for the ages and two others are cliffhangers. <hr /></blockquote> I've got my gray Guiness hat on, right behind Mike Davis.

Fred &lt;~~~ make me famous, ESPN

Chris Cass
10-26-2004, 07:55 PM
I just seen JimmyB' bald head. lol I think I saw you too Fred. Were you next to Jimbo as he tapped fists with Mike?

Just saw Jimbo again with the goatee(sp) behind Mike Davis. I seen his lips moving. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Why didn't he give that big smile he always has? lol

Regards,

C.C.

stickman
10-26-2004, 08:26 PM
The Harriman-Strickland match was just Awsome! (Surprise ending) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Why didn't I tape this? Still watching the final match.

DeadStrokeMan
10-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Just finished watching it - Santos always has the biggest smile /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unlike my matches with JimmyB - bet he wasn't drunkin' bunches of brew LOL.

BTW: - How much $$$ was on this?

RLipson
10-26-2004, 09:31 PM
Note to Stickman: The match is scheduled to be rebroadcast on Decemeber 20th. You can tape it then.

stickman
10-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to remember to fire up the VCR. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jimmy B
10-27-2004, 01:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I just seen JimmyB' bald head. lol I think I saw you too Fred. Were you next to Jimbo as he tapped fists with Mike?

Just saw Jimbo again with the goatee(sp) behind Mike Davis. I seen his lips moving. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Why didn't he give that big smile he always has? lol

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

I thought the funny part was when I was talking to Mike about Santos being out for the set, I didn't know he was miked and it was so loud that the announcers commented on it. Mike was a great guy/kid (I'm much older LOL) and he handled himself with much class. If I were him I would have hit me with a cue or had me removed, I was keeping things lite all day with jokes and talking with him during his matches, once the finals started I didn't want to stop because I figured it would keep him loose and I never like to change what works, we had a blast. BTW next to me on the other side was Sherm and Lou F. from RSB.

JB

Chris Cass
10-27-2004, 04:00 AM
Hey Jimbo,

I don't know the guys from RSB. Never been there yet. I did hear something as I remember. I didn't know that was you though. LOL Mike Davis looked so tall next to the table and especially next to Santos. Wow, he must be like 6'5" or so? Was that Fred next to you on your left? Thought is was. BTW, I sent an email to Mike telling him you'll be playing at DCC this yr and he said he'd sweat one of your matches. hahahaha J/K You guys looked like you were enjoying yourselves. Seems Mike Davis was on tilt. Did you think so?

Regards,

C.C.~~you'll wanta tape that one for yourself to show everyone back home. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-27-2004, 05:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>

...Mike Davis looked so tall next to the table and especially next to Santos. Wow, he must be like 6'5" or so?...<hr /></blockquote>

Did anybody notice how far back his grip hand was? And I thought I gripped the cue pretty far back, but his was all the way to the butt.

PQQLK9
10-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Really big guy with a soft touch. I sat right behind him when he played the Viking tour in Charlotte a couple of years ago and was impressed with his powerful break as well.
He also was very gracious when I congratulated him on his victory. I think the young guys like Mike and Gabe Owen are good for our sport.

9 Ball Girl
10-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Also in attendance were:

Gabe Owen (sitting with Barry's daughter)
Barry Behrman (who I thanked again for the CCB mention at the Open)

and some more that I can't think of right now

Did you guys see the Mohegun Sun $30,000 shot? He could've been a contender!

I was able to watch one match during my break from the contest table and sat behind Steve Lillis during the Harriman/Strickland match. You would have to know that I was there to catch me. Anyway, remember when right before Strickland shot his winning shot? He was down by where the 9 ball was and when he walked back to where the cueball was, he was giving one of his stares to someone in the audience. Well, he was looking at my bud who was sitting next to me and who was leaning over talking to Steve Lillis about the shot scenario. That was way too funny. I had to keep my head down from laughing 'cause my bud was like "What the [censored] is he looking at?" When Earl finally looked away, I mumbled to my bud and told him, "you better hope he makes something out of whatever he's gonna do here 'cause otherwise it's your a$$!" And then Whamo!, in goes the 9. Too funny.

Deeman2
10-27-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>"What the [censored] is he looking at?" And then Whamo!, in goes the 9. Too funny.
<hr /></blockquote>

Nineballgirl:

Were you trying to distract the "Pearl"? I am considering adding this move to my game, where I can stare off into the distance, then blow the nine and claim that it was a guy in the back of the room with a cell phone. It can be right up there with my, "Did you see that flea deflect the ball????"

Deeman
will look for our favorite girl in the rerun....

9 Ball Girl
10-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Not me! I love Earl! My bud was rooting for Earl too but my bud's voice can be a little too strong when it's really quiet around, and he was saying something like "he can't make this" which I think Earl heard.

During the Mohegun Sun shot, I snuck away from the contest table and am standing by the entrance on the left top corner of the screen.

Nostroke
10-27-2004, 09:40 AM
You should see the tip that Mike plays with. I dont know the brand but it is worn down to the point that it would be unacceptable to 99% of players im sure.

On the sides, there is no visible tip at all- In the center there is a little rise-I'd say at it's maximum height, it is just slightly over the width of a dime. I talked to hm about it-That's the way he likes it.

Perk
10-27-2004, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> he was giving one of his stares to someone in the audience. Well, he was looking at my bud who was sitting next to me and who was leaning over talking to Steve Lillis about the shot scenario. That was way too funny. I had to keep my head down from laughing 'cause my bud was like "What the [censored] is he looking at?" When Earl finally looked away, I mumbled to my bud and told him, "you better hope he makes something out of whatever he's gonna do here 'cause otherwise it's your a$$!" And then Whamo!, in goes the 9. Too funny.
<hr /></blockquote>

That is WAY to funny. I was watching it and thought "here goes another Earl moment"

Go figure 9ball girl was linked to that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Did you see the look on Danny's face prior to the shot when Earl was getting abit agitated with 9ball girls friend? Then after the shot Earl acted like He-Man and high fived Scott Smith and then tried to with Danny. Danny handled it well, I know I would have been pissed.

Rich R.
10-27-2004, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> You should see the tip that Mike plays with. I dont know the brand but it is worn down to the point that it would be unacceptable to 99% of players im sure.

On the sides, there is no visible tip at all- In the center there is a little rise-I'd say at it's maximum height, it is just slightly over the width of a dime. I talked to hm about it-That's the way he likes it. <hr /></blockquote>
Dave, it seems a number of pro players prefer to have new tips cut down, prior to using them. I have personally heard Keith McCready and Jimmy Reid both say that they have their new tips cut down by at least half.
I really don't know the reason for it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
It seems to me that you would have to get tips replaced a lot more often and you would always be breaking in new tips. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Maybe someone else knows what is going on????

Nostroke
10-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Yes Rich Im aware that many pros cut down their tip immediately. They feel the less tip, the more feel comes through the stick. But even amongst them, Mike's is easily the tiniest I have seen.

Most people looking at it would assume it was unplayable and all you could do was miscue with it.

Jimmy B
10-27-2004, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hey Jimbo,

I don't know the guys from RSB. Never been there yet. I did hear something as I remember. I didn't know that was you though. LOL Was that Fred next to you on your left? Thought is was. BTW, I sent an email to Mike telling him you'll be playing at DCC this yr and he said he'd sweat one of your matches. hahahaha J/K You guys looked like you were enjoying yourselves. Seems Mike Davis was on tilt. Did you think so?

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah Mike was really having a good time, I think most players would have told me to shut up, but I think I somehow felt our talking was keeping the pressure off him a bit, he never seemed to mind and every time I was starting to worry that I was a distraction he would initiate something, that made me believe he wasn't bothered by it. One time after he hit a bad shot I even busted his balls about dogging it bad. Even though he's a youngin he handled himself great and the pressure never seemed to get him even though IMO this event had the worst fans I have ever seen at a pool tournament. There wasn't a 10 minute stretch where some idiot fan wasn't flashing a player. I'm sure I'll see Mike at the Dcc, maybe even play him LOL, it will be a tough match for me since my secret weapon is sharking and he seems to deal with distractions well :-)

JB

Chris Cass
10-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Hi Wally,

I did. I also noticed he strokes like Patrick our resident alien. Looks like he's sawing wood. LOL What can you say? He made the balls. I think the pressure of the event got to him a little. I've seen him play pretty straight and anyone making the mistake in speed control he had going on has something distracting his mind. I know because it's surely happened to me and I wasn't near the cameras.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks JimmyB sharked him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
10-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Bet it's a LePro.

Hi Nostroke,

C.C.

Chris Cass
10-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi Rich,

I do the same with my tips. I use a LePro but have done it with Moori' also. The money thing doesn't mean much. It's that feel of the tip being harder and not so much like a sponge and also the distance of it. I know it's slight but it does make a difference to me when I'm stroking. I keep my tip no more than 1/2" away while going through my warm up strokes. If that means anything to anyone. lol One last thopught. With the LePro tips. They seem to play much more consistant when they're worn down. I've went so far as 1 dimes width to the sidewall. Won't do it with Ivory ferrules but I will make it close to nothing if there's a pad on it.

Regards,

C.C.

PQQLK9
10-27-2004, 03:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> I somehow felt our talking was keeping the pressure off him a bit, he never seemed to mind and every time I was starting to worry that I was a distraction he would initiate something, that made me believe he wasn't bothered by it. <hr /></blockquote>
Mitch Lawrance mentioned several times that Mike was talking to himself.
Nice to put your mug with your usual humor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimmy B
10-27-2004, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Mitch Lawrance mentioned several times that Mike was talking to himself.
Nice to put your mug with your usual humor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

That's funny because I watched the match on ESPN but I couldn't hear it, I was working the bar and had the WS going on other screens with sound up on those, so I only heard one mention of it, I'll have to watch it again with sound to see that. Mike wasn't talking to himself he was talking to me and on occasion Fred (when I told Fred he could talk)Seriously I think Fred knew better then to talk to a player during a real pool match, even though I taught him better during the VF finals (few years back)when I talked Troy Frank's ear off, only difference is Troy Won the match and then joined us in celebration. BTW the TV adds like 50 lbs, I'm really skinny.

JB

SPetty
10-28-2004, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RLipson:</font><hr>The match is scheduled to be rebroadcast on December 20th.<hr /></blockquote>Please, if anyone remembers this at the time, post a reminder here. I wasn't able to watch it when it aired, and was saddened to learn that I didn't reset my VCR channel after the last power outage, so recorded four hours of channel 2 instead of channel 3. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I missed it all!

PQQLK9
10-28-2004, 08:19 AM
now if you cannot wait that long, I will hook up my VCR to my Tivo and record and send it to you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif