PDA

View Full Version : WPBA and Minor Leagues?

rah
10-26-2004, 10:31 AM
In response to Barb's question, I would like to state that touring pros should not be allowed to play in the qualifying events.

But more importantly, I have an important unanswered question: What if someone finally qualifies for the WPBA tour and after a year has a 1 percent winning percentage. What does the WPBA do with those women? Shouldn't they be sent back to the Minor Leagues so to speak? BTW, in which case, they should be able to compete for the cash again, even they were touring pros at one point.

I don't know much about the WPBA so please pardon my ignorance is this seems to much a dumb question.

landshark77
10-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Rah,

I'm not sure I am 100% right or not, but Qualifing for a WPBA event does not make you a touring pro. You have to earn your points...I think you need 3 to become a pro. Being a pro does not make you a touring pro. To gain touring pro status I believe that you have to have participated in 80% of the events and scored a top fininsh half the time. I know that this info is on the WPBA webpage. You can read it there if you are that interested. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pooltchr
10-27-2004, 05:32 AM
Actually, they need to finish in the top half of 4 events during the year to get TP status.
Steve

Jude_Rosenstock
10-27-2004, 11:40 AM
I have several friends (including my girlfriend) that compete in the Northeast Women's Tour and I have to say, you do have a point. It is disheartening knowing that someone's fate really can be decided by the draw having Karen Corr, Julie Kelly, Romana Dokovic and a slew of others scattered throughout the event. However, from what I've seen, most of the women look forward to the challenge of facing these pros and enjoy the fact that they're getting some real experience.

On top of that, there are events that will not allow players that are already qualified for an upcoming event (which would exclude all touring pros) so they do recognize this and try to balance things out. What should also be noted is that there is relatively little money involved in these events. The real prize is getting a spot in a major event. If a qualified player happens to win the tournament, that spot gets passed down to the highest ranking unqualified player.

So if one day, my girlfriend finishes 5th to Karen Corr, Julie Kelly, Jennifer Barretta & Romana Dokovic, SHE'S IN!

Jude M. Rosenstock

Nostroke
10-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Last year i think the girl (VANN) who got 7-8th in the NJSC got the spot and i think Miyuki got it for 5-6th in the NYSC this year. In one of those cases the player had no shot at winning the Q spot if the pros hadn't showed.