PDA

View Full Version : Gambling, 3 fouls?

UTAddb
10-26-2004, 01:39 PM
Is it understood that there is no 3 foul rule when gambling? Does it depend on the area?

Popcorn
10-26-2004, 01:53 PM
The three foul rule is usually the rule played by, but when gambling you should go over any questionable rules before you begin, it eliminates problems.

woody_968
10-26-2004, 02:00 PM
As Popcorn said, its always best to confirm. In our area 3 foul is normally played on the 9 footers, but on bar boxes they normally dont use the 3 foul rule.

Deeman2
10-26-2004, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> As Popcorn said, its always best to confirm. In our area 3 foul is normally played on the 9 footers, but on bar boxes they normally dont use the 3 foul rule. <hr /></blockquote>

Same here but always ask!

Deeman

Nostroke
10-26-2004, 03:34 PM
In one pocket-no 3 fouls when gambling generally.

In 9 Ball 3 foul rule always unless specified otherwise which i have never seen except as part of some wild handicap.

Cueless Joey
10-26-2004, 03:44 PM
3-foul rules never apply to gambling for me.
But, some knit pulls will remind you it's on when you're on two. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif One tried on me even though we've been playing without it two times already. Suddenly, it's on b/c I had two fouls.
So, better confirm before playing.
Joey~Hates chicken poop pool for $20 a set~

Chris Cass
10-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Tap, Tap, Tap.

C.C.

Jimmy B
10-27-2004, 01:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> 3-foul rules never apply to gambling for me.
Joey~Hates chicken poop pool for $20 a set~ <hr /></blockquote>

WHAT!?!?!? Are you saying playing safes is Chicken poop pool???? I hope this post was a joke Joey.

JB

JimS
10-27-2004, 04:24 AM
I thought he was saying that when someone waits until their opponent is on two fouls and then says the 3 foul rule is on....that's chicken poop pool

Chopstick
10-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Now days there's no telling. In the old days, playing for money implied the published pro rules. Now, with all the defferent rule set variations from leagues and such, there's no telling what's on their mind. I always say "Pro rules, right" before the first break. If you don't agree on the rules before the first break you're asking for trouble every time.

Rip
10-27-2004, 09:01 AM
When my opponent leaves me safe...it's chicken poop pool.
When I leave my opponent safe...it's a true work of billiard artistry in it's highest form!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifRip

tateuts
10-27-2004, 10:17 AM
West Coast - I don't know anyone who does 3 foul gambling, however, I usually bring it up before we get going when I am playing someone new because you never know what rules they've been playing by.

Chris

Nostroke
10-27-2004, 11:06 AM
and your talking 9 ball?

Jude_Rosenstock
10-27-2004, 11:27 AM
I just wanted to point out that in some games, there is no 3 foul rule. The 3 foul rule only applies to 9-ball, one-pocket (both loss of game) &amp; straight pool (16 pt. penalty).

If you think your opponent typically plays 8-ball and you're playing 9, you might want to make sure he's aware of it prior to starting.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Deeman2
10-27-2004, 11:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> I just wanted to point out that in some games, there is no 3 foul rule. The 3 foul rule only applies to 9-ball, one-pocket (both loss of game) &amp; straight pool (16 pt. penalty).

If you think your opponent typically plays 8-ball and you're playing 9, you might want to make sure he's aware of it prior to starting.

Jude M. Rosenstock <hr /></blockquote>

Good point Jude. I have played guys in one pocket that didn't know the rule. It's always best to clear these things up front. Just curious, do you guys allow jump shots with jump cues in one pocket in NY?

Deeman

Jude_Rosenstock
10-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Well, the very nature of the one-hole player is purist and strategic. I think most players in nyc would frown upon using a jump cue. I have to admit, I've only seen a jump-cue used for 9-ball and occasionally for 8-ball. I can't speak for the whole city but I would probably say that it would need to be negotiated prior to starting a session.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Deeman2
10-27-2004, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> Well, the very nature of the one-hole player is purist and strategic. I think most players in nyc would frown upon using a jump cue. I have to admit, I've only seen a jump-cue used for 9-ball and occasionally for 8-ball. I can't speak for the whole city but I would probably say that it would need to be negotiated prior to starting a session.

Jude,

Did I play you in a tournament at JOB's in Nashville a few years ago? I know I remember you from somewhere. At 52 I have probably married people I don't remember but your name sticks with me. Maybe in Detroit?

I think jump sticks should be punishable with death but I finally got one a few years ago and would be too embarassed to bring it out in one pocket.

Deeman

Jude_Rosenstock
10-27-2004, 01:05 PM
Hey Deeman,

Sorry, I've never been south of Northern Virginia, never been to Detroit and have yet to compete in anything outside of the Joss Tour (with the exception of nyc events and Las Vegas). I was manager of Amsterdam Billiards for the past couple of years so perhaps you may know me from there.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Deeman2
10-27-2004, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> Hey Deeman,

Sorry, I've never been south of Northern Virginia, never been to Detroit and have yet to compete in anything outside of the Joss Tour (with the exception of nyc events and Las Vegas). I was manager of Amsterdam Billiards for the past couple of years so perhaps you may know me from there.

Yep, that's it. I met you there. Sorry, but I knew the name from somewhere. Great room!

Jude_Rosenstock
10-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Yes unfortunately, it WAS a great room. The Eastside location of Amsterdam Billiards closed last May. Its westside location is still in business and I'm frequently playing or waiting for my girlfriend to finish playing (usually the latter).

Jude M. Rosenstock

Chris Cass
10-27-2004, 01:49 PM
When I safe my opponent he poops like a chicken. Foul is a bird and chicken are safe.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

Chris Cass
10-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Hi Jude,

Haven't heard your name for awhile. Maybe like 2 yrs or so? Anyway, I was playing in VF and this kid mentioned to me I was on 2 in a 9 ball game. (bar box) I told him he never told me prior to the start of the game that we were playing the three foul rule.

We out here by me don't play the 3 foul rule at all. Never in tournament either. I always played it in Chicago but out here in corn country it has to me announced. These guys threw a hissy fit over it. I was like, you couldn't 3 foul me on your best day. Anyway, even bar box play someone has to say which rules your going by. I know now that TE rules are played at VF on bar boxes but I bet you $10. that someone I let know who's on 2 fouls by me that they'll say, they never was told.

Regards,

C.C.

Jude_Rosenstock
10-27-2004, 02:31 PM
The bottom line is, to not play with the 3-foul rule is a deviation. Any and all deviations need to be established prior to betting. However, if you find yourself on the otherside of the argument, you need to decide how much it's worth to allow this deviation and see if your opponent will pay for it.

I know there have been times when an opponent of mine has said no jump cues (now I rarely use a jump cue) but then I immediately insist that we both break from the box. At least then, it's a negotiation and if he's going to set up a situation that he feels favors him (w/o renegotiating the spot, if there is any) then you should do the same for you.

Other deviations you can argue:
No push shots after the break
Push shot allowed any time during the game
Call the nine-ball
All pocketed balls spotted when fouling on the break

Never give your opponent anything without making him pay for it. Find something that you feel is to your advantage if the rules were something else and then negotiate with it when these times arise.

Jude M. Rosenstock

tateuts
10-27-2004, 09:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> and your talking 9 ball? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes - in 9 ball we don't play 3 foul loss of game gambling out here, at least not in the rooms I go in.

Chris

stick8
10-28-2004, 11:10 AM
o.k.my opinion, as a old player, we had no 3 foul rule, as we only shot rotation,and snooker. in snooker my game was the man following me got snookered if needed. that was the way the game was played . there was no player getting upset as he knew what was coming ,shooting a good snooker required as much skill as making the nine ball to win . as I said my opinion {STICK}

Deeman2
10-28-2004, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stick8:</font><hr> o.k.my opinion, as a old player, we had no 3 foul rule, as we only shot rotation,and snooker. in snooker my game was the man following me got snookered if needed. that was the way the game was played . there was no player getting upset as he knew what was coming ,shooting a good snooker required as much skill as making the nine ball to win . as I said my opinion {STICK} <hr /></blockquote>

I fondly remember when we played push out on all shots and jumping was a real skill.

Deeman
"jump this!" earl strickland

stick8
11-01-2004, 08:07 PM
when I play 9 ball, I say texas express rules If it is 8 ball , B C A rules if they are a player they should know they should know the rules.STICK