PDA

View Full Version : pool : sport , hobbie, or just a game ??

Ives
10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Went into Barnes and Noble a while back to look for billiard books. Looked through there sports section and found ping pong but no pool. Looked in there hobbie section and found nothing. Asked at the counter and was told they were in the games section. Looked there and found a couple of books mixed in with chess and juggling. Made me wonder how others percieved pool.

I personnaly think if there's muscle memory involved it's a sport.

Ives, watching world summit of pool while typing. Loving life!!!!!!!!

woody_968
10-26-2004, 06:17 PM
It depends on who you ask. To people that dont play pool its a game, to people that play once in a while its a hobbie, to people that do drills all the time and strive to get better its a sport.

So to me its a sport.

Woody - watching the World Summit of Pool while replying /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I look in the romance section. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~muscle memory? hahahaha

mikeys
10-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Definition I like from someone on this board is that if an expert can tell a beginner what to do and the beginner can play expertly (like chess) it's a game. If you need lots of practice (like pool) it's a sport.
So what was juggling doing in games?

Rich R.
10-27-2004, 03:44 AM
You should have looked in the section titled, "Obsessions". /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

JimS
10-27-2004, 04:19 AM
You could check under "addictions". It's as bad as smoking..just keeps coming back (not today, no smoking today, I'll play pool today but no smoking today! Haven't had one for 546 days & counting!..the fight is never over, it's always "not today")

SpiderMan
10-27-2004, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Went into Barnes and Noble a while back to look for billiard books. Looked through there sports section and found ping pong but no pool. Looked in there hobbie section and found nothing. Asked at the counter and was told they were in the games section. Looked there and found a couple of books mixed in with chess and juggling. Made me wonder how others percieved pool.

Ives, watching world summit of pool while typing. Loving life!!!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

I guess I'd have to disagree with the blanket statement. If all it takes is muscle memory, then juggling and guitar playing are sports.

SpiderMan

catscradle
10-27-2004, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Went into Barnes and Noble a while back to look for billiard books. Looked through there sports section and found ping pong but no pool. Looked in there hobbie section and found nothing. Asked at the counter and was told they were in the games section. Looked there and found a couple of books mixed in with chess and juggling. Made me wonder how others percieved pool.

Ives, watching world summit of pool while typing. Loving life!!!!!!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Personally, I don't consider it a sport, but then my definition of a sport is rather narrow. This is an old debate and there really is no definitive answer as to what constitutes a sport. All I know is I enjoy playing pool whether or not it is a "sport".

Cat &lt;== Couldn't stay awake 'til the end of the WSOP or the WS.

socrates
10-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Whenever I hear this question posed it reminds me of the lines from the movie serching for Bobby Fischer. With respects to Bruce Pandolfini the lines from the movie go something like this.

What is chess do you suppose? Those who play it for fun or not at all dismiss it as a game. Those who play it competitively or devote their lives to it insist that its a science. It's neither. Bobby Fischer got under it all, like no one before has, and found at its center - ART.

What ever it is its a hell of a lot of fun and incredibly challenging.

Cheers,

Ives
10-27-2004, 08:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Went into Barnes and Noble a while back to look for billiard books. Looked through there sports section and found ping pong but no pool. Looked in there hobbie section and found nothing. Asked at the counter and was told they were in the games section. Looked there and found a couple of books mixed in with chess and juggling. Made me wonder how others percieved pool.

I guess I'd have to disagree with the blanket statement. If all it takes is muscle memory, then juggling and guitar playing are sports.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Good point Spider

Ives- retracting muscle memory statement !!!!!!!!

NEMO
10-27-2004, 08:51 AM
My brother once told me, anytime a waitress can serve you a beer while playing, its a game....

Rich R.
10-27-2004, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote socrates:</font><hr> What ever it is its a hell of a lot of fun and incredibly challenging.<hr /></blockquote>
In the Olymics, they had skeet and trap shooting and also air rifle shooting.
If they are sports, pool must be a sport. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

rah
10-27-2004, 09:34 AM

Just last week I went into Barnes and Noble and guess what I found on every endcap it seemed: How to play poker/how to read the other players/how to play Texas holdum - even some ancient books were brought out in print againt with the old black and white pictures and the players dressed in coats and ties.

What we need is for someone to win the lottery bigtime and start promoting pool!

I find that watching poker has become boring. Where it's at is playing for money on the internet. People are freak'n addicticed.

SPetty
10-27-2004, 10:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rah:</font><hr> What we need is for someone to win the lottery bigtime and start promoting pool!<hr /></blockquote>Do we have any volunteers for this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jude_Rosenstock
10-27-2004, 12:59 PM
I tried to come up with some sort of an analogy that would easily illustrate the difference but realized it wouldn't have covered everything. I'd just like to point out that opening my fridge requires muscle memory and since my dog is interested in competing with me, I've decided to make it a sport (Indoor Fridge Opening). I've also decided to be the World Indoor Fridge Opening Organization (WIFOO)President and will be mailing out rule books to all WIFOO members in all languages by year's end. Because of certain language restraints, dogs may simply refer to WIFOO as WOOF.

Honestly, I agree with what has been said up until this point. I think we all know what constitutes a sport and what doesn't. In regards to Barnes &amp; Noble, they're trying to sell books so they're going to categorize it in such a way that is easy to find. You might as well put pool next to the poker section. It'll likely do better than if it were next to fishing and thank God for that.

Jude M. Rosenstock
WIFOO President

Chris Cass
10-27-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi NEMO,

Your brother sounds like a good guy. The truth is that anytime you make under $175,000. a yr it's a game.

C.C.

Brian in VA
10-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Steve it's good to see you posting again. Hope you're well!

There's an old saw that goes:
If you watch a sport you're a spectator, if you play a sport it's fun and if you work at it, it's golf. Same could be said for our great game.

It's a magnificent obsession, a fascinating puzzle, a heartless mistress and a warm friend.

Brian in VA - waxing eloquent (or waxing his elephant)

cheesemouse
10-27-2004, 03:00 PM
A friend of mine once told me it's not a sport unless some big sweat soaked guy is quarding you and wants to hurt you...anything else is a game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif