PDA

View Full Version : US Amateur Championship in Berlin, CT

OnePocketChamp
10-27-2004, 06:11 AM
The US Amateur Championships are being played Nov 5-7th at Ultimate Billiards in Berlin, Ct. I won a spot to compete at this years event and was curious if any other members of this board will be there? Has anyone played at Ultimate Billiards, how is the room? where are the bathrooms? and is going to Connecticut like going to Mexico---should I not drink the water????
Someone help this poor Texas boy out, I'll be leaving this safe Bush controlled State and heading into country that Yankee's rule and the people talk funny.

SPetty
10-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Congratulations OnePocketChamp! According to the web site, you're the only Texan in it (as of 10/4). Do us proud, ya hear? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
10-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Good luck OPC.

Take your best game with you. There are some very, very good players in that tournament. For several years, it was held in my area and I saw some very high caliber pool being played.

Of course, since you won a qualifier, I'm sure you are up to the task. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck and bring home one of those big trophies.

IIRC, the winner also gets paid entry into next years U.S. Open. I'll see you in Virginia, in September. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
10-27-2004, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> The US Amateur Championships are being played Nov 5-7th at Ultimate Billiards in Berlin, Ct. I won a spot to compete at this years event and was curious if any other members of this board will be there? Has anyone played at Ultimate Billiards, how is the room? where are the bathrooms? and is going to Connecticut like going to Mexico---should I not drink the water????
Someone help this poor Texas boy out, I'll be leaving this safe Bush controlled State and heading into country that Yankee's rule and the people talk funny. <hr /></blockquote>

I've never played there, but know people who have. They all speak well of the room, but warn that the cloth is faster than pig s**t.

To your more important questions:
The bathrooms are out back with a crescent moon cut into the door, just follow the odor.
You can drink the water I think.
We do talk funny, but we like it that way.
To correct a misconception...
"Yankees" are conservatives, the liberals are the children of late 19th, early 20th century immigrants (largely Irish and Italian) who ran to the Democratic party for safe haven when the old Yankees were screwing them over really bad in the textile, shoe, etc. factories up here. We no longer have factories and old Yankees no longer predominate anything (or do they???), but the tradition persists.
BTW, good luck.

Cat. &lt;-- What is commonly referred to as a swamp yankee, that is, I'm not related to the rich yankees.

Jimmy B
10-27-2004, 01:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote OnePocketChamp:</font><hr> The US Amateur Championships are being played Nov 5-7th at Ultimate Billiards in Berlin, Ct. I won a spot to compete at this years event and was curious if any other members of this board will be there? Has anyone played at Ultimate Billiards, how is the room? where are the bathrooms? and is going to Connecticut like going to Mexico---should I not drink the water????
Someone help this poor Texas boy out, I'll be leaving this safe Bush controlled State and heading into country that Yankee's rule and the people talk funny. <hr /></blockquote>
Since it's my neck of the woods I'll take this one. Ultimate is a great room, it's prolly about 6 ideas short of being one of the best rooms I've been in (I've been to a lot) They just had some bad planning, lots of wasted space, if they moved the tables 10 more inches it would be great, and they have about 20 feet to spare on the other side of the room. The double deck bench seats down the left wall is a great idea except they arenít comfortable to sit in for the players. The table set up is the worst, I can't run 3 balls there, the Diamond tables are real tight and the cloth is not good for pool, not only is it fast but the balls slide and come off the rails funny, it's very hard to play there. The bathrooms are in the back left corner of the room and nice and clean, the food is great specially the desserts. I just hope they don't have a band coming in late, or let normal players into the room while the tournament is still going, I've been there when a tournament runs late and then they open some tables up to non pool players and start up the music, it gets loud quick. Good luck in the tourney, if you do get knocked out early there are about 5 strip clubs right down the strip, try centerfolds first. Also Berlin is Red Sox country, not Yankee. The owners of Ultimate are real nice people and the room is great, youíll have fun there.

JB