PDA

View Full Version : Eye Glasses and pool

Rip
10-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Here is a new style of shooting glasses that are adjustable for playing pool. To me, they look more like regular frames and less like goggles.

adjustable frames (http://www.randolphusa.com/companyd.asp?id=81)

Rip

Rod
10-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Apparently they are fairly new. There is only one dealer in AZ, WTF is Dewy AZ? LOL Hey Rip there is none in your state, where did you get them? LOL

Rod

Rip
10-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Rod,
You can call and order directly from Randolph Engineering which eliminates the markup from a local distributor.
Call 800-541-1405
When you receive the frames, your local Lenscrafters or vision center can make the lenses to your specs.
Regards,
Rip

JimS
10-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi Rip,

Are these any better than Decots?

I have their glasses and I don't like them. I can't get them to stay up on my nose. The flimsy ear pieces won't keep them from sliding forward and hence down on my nose.

I have ended up just putting the Decot's away and have gone back to using an elastic strap on my regular bifocals to keep them up.

Rip
10-28-2004, 08:16 AM
Hi JimS,
These are available with the cable temples which wrap around your ears and keep the glasses in place.
I dug out one of my old aviator style frames from 8 or 10 years ago. They're huge! I pinched the nose/bridge piece together which causes them to sit very high and provide a clear view of the table without the top of the frame interfering. They're similar to the RayBan Shooter frames that I see some players wearing.
Rip

ceebee
10-29-2004, 05:46 AM
I have a pair of shooting glasses that resemble these. I went one step further and altered the angle of the frame to the ear pieces (app'x 20 degrees), just behind the spring tension housing. I also had ultra-thin non-glare lenses installed. The result was amazing. I went from a 5.5 to a good 7 in a week. I could actally see what I was shooting at. Regular glasses do impair your vision. Anyone interested in this idea can PM me, I will send you a picture.

Popcorn
10-29-2004, 07:13 AM
Can you post a picture?

Pelican
10-29-2004, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>

Are these any better than Decots? I can't get them to stay up on my nose. <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe they have changed Jim. I recently got a pair of the HyWide with adjustable bridge and with the cables that wrap around your ears so tight ain't now way they are slipping. What I do like about them is the ease of interchangable lens.

Later, Pel

JimS
10-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Mine have the cable that goes around the ears but they still fall down on my nose..no matter how I set them up to start with.

I've never wanted or needed to change the lens but I have wanted them to stay in when I"m cleaning them and they fall out frequently while I'm wiping them off.

I'm just not at all satisfied with them. How are they about service? Pretty hard to service them and see that they work right when they are in AZ and I'm in Il.

JimS
10-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Practicing and thinking about the glasses.

They stayed in place this morning and I don't know why. I got to thinkin about why would they stay in place and I thought about my skin maybe was not as slippery this morning and this led to me thinking about....

How could I make the ear cables and the nose pcs less slippery, more sticky?

I could use an alcohol swab behind my ears and on my nose as well as on the cables and nose pads? What could I put on those pcs to make them kinda sticky but not....STICKY? Good grief...is this gunna be another googan thingee to carry with me? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ceebee
10-30-2004, 10:10 AM
here's the scoop about glasses. The lens does a magic act by modifying the focus of an object for the retina to send clear images to the brain. In actuality, that alters the depth of perception too.

To properly see through a lens, requires the view to pass through a spot no larger than a nickel. If you tilt the lens to be at any angle other than 90 degrees to the view, what you seen is not a true image. In fact, what you see may not even be there, because lenses bend light.

I have altered my lens frame, so that when I bend over, I am looking straight through the lens, with no angle or tilt.

I would be happy to post a picture, but I don't know how.

Pelican
10-30-2004, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr>
How could I make the ear cables and the nose pcs less slippery, more sticky? <hr /></blockquote>

SUPER GLUE!!!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pelican
10-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey CeeBee, that's the thing about the Decot with the adjustable bridge. I set mine up to where if I'm standing I can just about look under them. Then when I'm down on a shot I'm looking thru the center.

You thought anymore about coming to Gulfport in December?

Later, Pel

SPetty
10-30-2004, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I would be happy to post a picture, but I don't know how.<hr /></blockquote>Hi ceebee,

If you want, send the picture to me and I'll post it here for you...

SPetty
10-31-2004, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I have altered my lens frame, so that when I bend over, I am looking straight through the lens, with no angle or tilt.

I would be happy to post a picture, but I don't know how.<hr /></blockquote>The first picture is the pool glasses, the second is street wear.
http://www.pettypoint.com/pics/cbglasses.jpg
http://www.pettypoint.com/pics/cbglasses2.jpg

JimS
11-01-2004, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the picture! Good idea if a guy had an extra pair of glasses.

The Decots have an adjustable nose bridge that allows the wearer to raise and lower the glasses at will.

I tried pinching the nose pads closer together and this has slowed the slipping down.

Still wish I could think of a way to keep them up. Maybe a touch of that glue on a stick applied to the nose pad? It's not strong glue, just for temporarily sticking paper together...about as strong as a Post It note glue. I think I"ll try that!..either on the nose pads, or the cables that wrap around the ear or both.

ceebee
11-01-2004, 10:22 AM
JimS, raising the frames up, so that you can see through them isn't the only requirement. You have to change the angle of the "through view" or you are not seeing a correct picture.

I realize the view may only be changed a little, but the margin for error in your shooting, may not accept a small difference in picture.

From the "Science of Pocket Billiards, the margin for error is .43 degrees (each side) for a 6 foot shot (the object ball being half way to the pocket). Error is based on degrees. So more than .43 Degree off is a missed shot.

.43 degree, on the diameter of the ball is about .008 a side of the centerline, on the circumference (or .016 inch is the size of contact point), more than that, you missed the shot.

There just aren't many great players that wear glasses, you cannot hit what you cannot see.

If I weren't an old man, I'd be down at the Tulsa Laser Center today.

Good Luck to you all..

Ives
11-01-2004, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> JimS, raising the frames up, so that you can see through them isn't the only requirement. You have to change the angle of the "through view" or you are not seeing a correct picture.

I realize the view may only be changed a little, but the margin for error in your shooting, may not accept a small difference in picture.

<hr /></blockquote>

Hey ceebee
Thanks for this post. It makes alot of sense. Ive always just pinched my nose piece to lift my glasses up higher but i still found i shot better with them off even though i was seeing the balls out of focus a little. I'm going to try and change the angle as well as the height tonight. Thanks again for the pics

and thanks to spetty for helping you post them !!!!!

NBC-BOB
11-01-2004, 01:07 PM
When my eyesight started changing at 46yrs old, I had a pair of glasses made that would give me the the same vision across the length of the table.I never did care for them, and couldn't get use to them.So a few year's later I had a new pair of glasses made with progressive lense's, with anti glare coating and they help a lot.Now I use the same glasses when I'm on the computer or playing pool.
regards bob

JimS
11-02-2004, 05:32 AM
I see just fine with my regular glasses or with the Decots. I just can't get the Decots to stay up on my nose.

catscradle
11-02-2004, 07:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> JimS, raising the frames up, so that you can see through them isn't the only requirement. You have to change the angle of the "through view" or you are not seeing a correct picture.

From the "Science of Pocket Billiards, the margin for error is .43 degrees (each side) for a 6 foot shot (the object ball being half way to the pocket). Error is based on degrees. So more than .43 Degree off is a missed shot.

.43 degree, on the diameter of the ball is about .008 a side of the centerline, on the circumference (or .016 inch is the size of contact point), more than that, you missed the shot.

There just aren't many great players that wear glasses, you cannot hit what you cannot see.

If I weren't an old man, I'd be down at the Tulsa Laser Center today.

Good Luck to you all.. <hr /></blockquote>

First of all, I'm a little hesitant about bending the temples of a 200 dollar pair of glasses. However, assuming I decided to do that, how did you do it? I shoot with a separate pair of glasses, but the temples definitely do not want to bend in that direction, horizontally yes, vertically great resistance, I'm afraid of just breaking them if I push it.

Rod
11-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Jim,

Have you called Decot and asked about the nose pads? I mean maybe they have different ones or an answer. BTW Decot is a fairway wood from my house. LOL I drive or walk by there most every day. Small Little place for being as well known as they are. I have a pair myself but rarely use them.

Rod

Rod
11-02-2004, 10:29 AM
When I had mine made they used a meter of some sort to mark the optical center. That was done with my glasses raised to the top. I had this done at Decot here in Phoenix. I only use them in that position. I did a lot testing as well to find exactly the right prescription. I didn't use the same as my regular glasses.

After all that I still don't like to wear them. I never carry them around with me anymore. Getting use to them was not to be. I play just as well or better without glasses.

Something that always bothered me was tilting my head up for longer shots. Do any of you have that problem? I'm use to having my head positioned the same for every shot, tilting it up just isn't natural. I'm a stand up player so maybe that's the problem. I say that because those of you that have your chin near the cue are use to keeping your head upright. Well that plus I see the lense edge which is distracting.

Rod

JimS
11-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Hey Rod,

I haven't called Decot and I should. It's not right to complain about their product without giving them a chance to make it right. I didn't mean to do that.

As a side note Rod.... a couple yrs back when I first was told about Decot you said that they were down the road about a 5 iron away. The years do take a toll..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
11-03-2004, 12:29 AM
No dam way Jim, it was a 4 wood! It was never a 5 iron. LOL Course I am getting shorter so I say a fairway wood. In fact it's probably a driver. ha ha ha Hell it might be a driver and a wedge by now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod

JimS
11-03-2004, 07:25 AM
Well then I guess it was my faulty memory. I need a note for everything! Driver &amp; wedge it is. What a drag. Also don't like driving over 85 mph anymore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ....and have to take pills just so I can pee right. GOOD GRIEF!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif