PDA

View Full Version : Ivory on Predator

Cueless Joey
05-17-2002, 12:12 PM
A friend of mine who is a semi-pro player plays with a Mcdaniel with Pred shaft. He had an ivory ferrule put on along with a padded Moori. Hits like a dream. Same low squirt and a ton of action. If you can have a very competent local cuemaker to do it, I highly recommend it.

05-17-2002, 12:28 PM
I was looking on Ebay at some Predator shafts. There was someone who repaired cues for about 5 years. And I think he is starting to make cues also. He has been replacing the ferrules on the Predator shaft and says the thicker, stronger ferrules hit just as well as Predator's ferrules.
And even Predator advertises that they use a thicker, stronger ferrule and a hard tip on their break cues. I'm surprissed Predator hasn't switched to a thicker, stronger ferrule on their regular shafts. But I am new to all this. And I have never seen or tried a Predator shaft.

05-17-2002, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> A friend of mine who is a semi-pro player plays with a Mcdaniel with Pred shaft. He had an ivory ferrule put on along with a padded Moori. Hits like a dream. Same low squirt and a ton of action. If you can have a very competent local cuemaker to do it, I highly recommend it. <hr></blockquote>

you're sorta defeating the purpose of the pred. low mass end. that's why they drill the hole in it. if you like it then wonderful but by adding mass at the end you're moving the pred. back toward a regular shaft.

dan

Cueless Joey
05-17-2002, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Cueless Joey:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; A friend of mine who is a semi-pro player plays with a Mcdaniel with Pred shaft. He had an ivory ferrule put on along with a padded Moori. Hits like a dream. Same low squirt and a ton of action. If you can have a very competent local cuemaker to do it, I highly recommend it. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

you're sorta defeating the purpose of the pred. low mass end. that's why they drill the hole in it. if you like it then wonderful but by adding mass at the end you're moving the pred. back toward a regular shaft.

dan <hr></blockquote>.....
Dan, the tenon is only about 2 inches long. The weight of the ferrule did not affect the shaft's deflection characteristics in noticeable amount.

Kato
05-17-2002, 02:25 PM
That's why I didn't put an ivory and 3 ferrule on my Predator. After Searings explanation I balked on changing my ferulle. Seems somebody else tried it instead.

Troy
05-17-2002, 03:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
Dan, the tenon is only about 2 inches long. The weight of the ferrule did not affect the shaft's deflection characteristics in noticeable amount. <hr></blockquote>

By definition, the TENON is that portion that goes into the ferrule. On a Predator, the actual TENON is approx 3/4" long.

If you mean the internal construction of a Predator behind the TENON, that's another discussion.

Troy

Rod
05-17-2002, 05:29 PM
Joey, I don't think a few grains of weight would change the playing quality of the cue either. It seems a number of people have had a problem with the stock ferrule. If I owned one after the original tip wore out, I'd do just as your friend did and put on a better ferrule. I don't think Ivory would be my first choice though. But then what do I know about all that tecky stuff?

~~~rod needs to stay away from these discussions

Ken
05-17-2002, 06:35 PM
According to the patent ivory is the worst material to use as the ferrule because it is harder than the wood of the shaft. There apparently are conventional ferrule materials that range in stiffness from about 5 times as stiff (ivory) to about 1.4 times as stiff as the material the patent recommends.

You can totally eliminate one of the squirt reduction factors that Predator uses in their design by using ivory or you could use the material that is closest to what they use and retain most of the system's characteristics. I wouldn't know what that material is without looking it up.
KenCT

Cueless Joey
05-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'll have a melamine installed instead. Or micarta if it doesn't turn yellow. LOL

05-17-2002, 09:17 PM
The below is copied from Ebay at:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/newreply.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=13899&amp;page =0&amp;view=expanded&amp;what=showthreaded&amp;sb=5&amp;o=0

This auction is for a Predator 2K-1 cue. The weight of the cue is 19 oz, but all Predator cues are weight adjustable via a weight bolt that is changed in the butt section. The butt of this cue is in brand new condition. It really didn't get used, with the exception of testing the new shaft on it. The shaft is what I want to talk about. I am starting to make custom cues on my own. I have been doing repairs on cues for about 5 years now. I have had my fill of the Predator ferrules, as they are too soft and scratch very easily. Also. the principle behind the Predator is reduced end mass, and I had trouble believing the ferrule made much of a difference. I won't go into the process of how I replaced the ferrule, as this is one of my design secrets to how my shafts will play, but I will tell you that the new ferrule design has improved the performance of the cue. The shaft is 12.75mm in diameter. The Ivorine 3 ferrule is easy to clean and doesn't scratch when chalk gets on it. It doesn't have the dead feeling that most Predator shafts have. It is also much easier to change tips with the new design. The bottom line is I cannot see any difference between the deflection characteristics of this shaft versus the normal Predator shaft. I'd love to hold onto the cue, but I play with a Keith Josey custom cue, and have no need for the Predator. I'm starting bidding at $1.00 with no reserve. Good luck and good bidding. Payment via PayPal or US Postal Money Order. PayPal ships immediately - MO must wait until bank clears funds. Buyer pays actual shipping only.