PDA

View Full Version : Driver goes after Katherine Harris

Wally_in_Cincy
10-28-2004, 10:47 AM
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/28/State/Driver_who_nearly_hit.shtml

Driver who nearly hit Rep. Harris is charged
By Associated Press
Published October 28, 2004

SARASOTA - A motorist told police he was exercising his "political expression" when he allegedly came close to running down U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris and a group of supporters on a Sarasota street.

Barry M. Seltzer, 46, of Sarasota, was jailed Wednesday on an assault charge as a result of the Tuesday night incident. No one was injured.

Witnesses said a Cadillac sped through an intersection and drove onto the sidewalk. It headed toward Harris before swerving at the last moment and driving off, according to police.

Harris, a Sarasota Republican, told police she feared for her life and couldn't move as the vehicle sped toward her, records show. She could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Witnesses gave the car's license number to police, and they tracked it to Seltzer. Seltzer, a registered Democrat, came to the police station Wednesday and said that Harris' supporters were standing in the street impeding traffic.

"I intimidated them with my car," Seltzer told police. "I was exercising my political expression. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I did not run them down. I scared them a little."

Harris' re-election campaign press secretary, Jessica Furst, who was at the intersection about a mile from Seltzer's home, said 10 or 15 supporters were carrying signs.
Harris "expressed to me that she thought it was truly an unfortunate incident," Furst said. Seltzer, who gave his occupation as real estate investor, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and was jailed without bail. He was to have his first court appearance today. The first-degree felony carries a possible 30-year prison sentence.

Harris was Florida's secretary of state during the 2000 presidential recount that gave the state and the presidency to President Bush by 537 votes.
She won the congressional seat in 2002 and is seeking re-election against Sarasota lawyer Jan Schneider, who lost to her two years ago.

<font color="blue">Geez leave the poor lady alone. She was just doing her job back in 2000 </font color>