PDA

View Full Version : Cues Used at World Pool Championship 2004

JMW
10-28-2004, 04:50 PM
I thought some of you might find this interesting. Here are the cues used at the 2004 World Pool Championship in Taipei. http://www.worldpoolchampionship.com/

Here ate the top four cues used out of 128 professional players:
1. Predator 30%
2. Schon 8%
3. Bear 7%
4. Joss 3%

I am surprised to see that 30% of the players are using Predator.

Akikumo Toshikawa Cue Tec
Al Logan Schon
Alan Rolon Predator
Alan Tan Predator
Alex Lely Predator
Alex Pagulayan Schon with Predator shaft
Alok Kumar John Parris Snooker cue
Andreja Klasovic Bear
Anthony Ginn Predator
Antonio Gabica Edwin Reyes Custom Cue
Antonio Lining Schon
Charlie Williams Predator
Chatchawan Rutphae Adam
Che-wei Fu~~~ N/A
Chia-Ching Wu N/A
Chien-Chen Huang Joss
Chin-Ching Kang N/A
Ching-Shun Yang South West
Chris Orme Schon
Chun-Yang Hsu Ed Prewitt
Cliff Thorburn Predator
Corey Harper Ariel Carmeli
Dan Basavich Richard Neighbor
Danny Harriman McDermott
Daryl Peach Viking, Predator, Oliver Stopps
David Alcaide Predator
David Anderson Predator
David Reljic Predator
Dennis Orcollo Predator
Earl Strickland Cuetec
Efren Reyes Phillipines-made cue
Emile Riera Predator
Erik Weiselius McDermott, Predator
Ernesto Dominguez Tad
Fabio Petroni Longoni
Fong-pang Chao Gina
Francisco Bustamante Bear
Gabriel Carral Pechauer Custom Cue
Gandy Valle Predator
Giovanni Orozco N/A
Gustavo Espinoza Laguna
Hanni Al Howri Omen
Hiroshi Takenaka Zac
Hisashi Yamamoto Lambros
Hui-Kai Hsia Tim
Hung-Hsiung Wang Taiwanese cue
Ibrahim Bin Amir DC
Imran Majid Bear, Predator
Ismael Paez McDaniel Custom Cue
Ivica Putnik Bear
James Kay Joss
Jang-Su Lee Pechauer Custom Cue
Jeremy Jones Schuler
Jimmy Henry Predator
John Lopez N/A
Johnny Archer Scorpion
Jorge Llanos Predator
Jose Parica Schon
Kamarudin Yudharman Schon
Kasper Kristoffersen Predator
Kazuo Furuta Gina
Kevin Hew Balabushka
Kevin Smith Predator
Kevin Uzzell Predator
Konstantin Stepanov Predator
Kunihiko Takahashi Mezz
Lee Vann Corteza Predator
Luc Salvas Schon
Marc Holtz Schon
Marco Bacarcic Bear
Marco Tschudi Joss
Marcus Chamat Predator
Marko Lohtander Predator
Markus Juva Edwin Reyes Custom Cue
Marlon Manalo Predator
Martin Kempter Gullassy
Matthew McInnes Predator
Max Eberle Schon with Predator shaft
Michael Schmidt Oliver Ortmann Custom Cue
Michael Valentine Predator
Mika Immonen Capone Custom Cue
Mike Davis Eddie Anderson
Ming-Wei Chien Gina
Nick van den Berg Musashi
Niclas Bergendorff Predator
Niels Feijen Longoni
Oliver Ortmann Kruger by BCE
Pat Holtz Falcon
Patrick Ooi Predator
Pei-Wei Chang Master
Phil Reilly Predator
Phil Wilkinson N/A
Po-Cheng Kuo N/A
Radoslaw Babica Bear
Raj Hundal Bear
Ralf Souquet Joss
Ramil Gallego Predator
Raymond Hauge Helmstetter
Richard Wolff Predator
Rico Diks Black Boar
Rodney Morris Fury
Rodolfo Luat Lambros
Sascha Trautmann Arthur
Satoshi Kawabata Olivie
Seung-Woo Ryu Hanbat
Shintaro Sugaya Ted Harris
Shin-Young Park Schon
Siaw Wieto Predator 3K6
Stefan Sellberg Predator
Steve Davis John Parris snooker cue
Steve Lillis Meucci with Predator shaft
Surathep Phoochalam Adam
Takeshi Okumura Mezz
Thomas Engert McDermott
Thomas Hasch Vollmer
Thorsten Hohmann Vollmer
Thorsten Schober Vollmer
Timothy Hall Hunter
Tom Storm Bear
Tommy Donlon Meucci
Tony Crosby Casanova
Tony Drago John Parris
Vilmos Foldes Bear
Vittorio De Falco Samsara
Warren Kiamco Predator
Ying-Chieh Chen Sasha
Young-Hwa Jeong Predator
Yulan Govender N/A

woody_968
10-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Do you happen to know if the 30% predator included those which were just using the predator shaft? I would assume it does.

Woody

JMW
10-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes, the 30% includes those using a Predator shaft on another cue butt. And I suspect that is the case more often than not, even though it is not listed that way. It may be listed as Predator but it is hard to imagine that many pros playing with the stock "Falcon butt/Predator Shaft" cue. But it is possible. Any thoughts?

JW

Fred Agnir
10-29-2004, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JMW:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>Since this is wrong, I can't trust the rest of the list with any confidence.

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2004, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JMW:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>Since this is wrong, I can't trust the rest of the list with any confidence.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I would assume the players submitted the info w/ their bios. Perhaps Mr. Reyes did not bother to update his.

Check this out

<font color="red">Michael Schmidt Oliver Ortmann Custom Cue

Oliver Ortmann Kruger by BCE
</font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman2
10-29-2004, 08:34 AM
JMW,

Thanks for providing this info. It is very interesting. I am happy and surprised to see Schon with such a high percentage.

Deeman
Schon, love it...

Cueless Joey
10-29-2004, 08:58 AM
That's a lot of ferrule repair business. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
A few years ago a ton of pros used Meucci.
Before that, Schon was used heavily.
I wonder if it's a trend.

MINISTRY
10-29-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here ate the top four cues used out of 128 professional players:
1. Predator 30%
2. Schon 8%
3. Bear 7%
4. Joss 3% <hr /></blockquote>

Predator? I never even considedered one, maybe I will check into one - There must be a reason so many pros are using this cue.

Not surpised to see Schon on that list, although I would expect a higher percentage. I love my Schon. I wouldn't trade it for most customs. Cost verse performance and workmanship - This line wins IMO.

With the Joss, Do you know if this refers to Joss east (Dan Janes) or Bill Strouds line sometimes referred to as Joss West. I owned 3 different Joss east cues and was not satisfied with either the workmanship or the "HIT" of the cue.

I have never even seen a Southwest.
Do any of you know what the Southwest website is?

Popcorn
10-29-2004, 12:36 PM
On their web site they refer to the players as using "Predator Technology" what ever that means. My guess is they may have sent shafts or something to these guys and added their names to the list.I would take that list with a grain of salt.

buddha162
10-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Well, "predator technology" would mean nothing but the first 5 inches of their shafts. So if the player is using a pred shaft (or break cue) he/she is using predator technology.

I don't buy the theory that the pros use Predator cues/shafts because they are given to them for free. A shaft costs 160-180 bucks, and they do this for a living. Imo they must be saving a LOT more than that to consider giving up their trusty stock shafts and replacing it with something dramatically different. They're pros, and their income/reputation is significantly determined by the equipment they use.

-Roger

Popcorn
10-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Predator claims on their web site over 50% of all male pro players uses their shafts, kind of hard to believe. It sounds like the play loose with the facts.

buddha162
10-30-2004, 03:22 AM
50% is definitely crap. But I can believe anywhere from 20-30%, which is undoubtedly the lion's share of aftermarket shafts.

50% is probably more like the freebies they send just so they can claim that number.

-Roger

JimS
10-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Re: South West cue webb site:

If you had a seven plus year waiting list for the item you were making/selling would you spend your profit for a website?......

They don't either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

sixa
10-31-2004, 05:45 PM
I assume that when it says Joss it means Joss and not Joss West. I personally use a Joss and I love the hit and finish. In fact I love everything about that cue. I haven't found another brand I like better.

nhp
10-31-2004, 06:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JMW:</font><hr>

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred what kind of cue does Efren use? About a year ago Efren and Santos came into the poolhall I go to, and Santos is a friend of mine so I asked him what kind of cue Efren had, and he told me it was a cue made in the Phillipines. At the time Efren was busy doing an exhibition gambling match so I didn't get a chance to ask him. Why would Santos lie to me anyways? Efren still has the same cue by the way.

ArNz
10-31-2004, 09:14 PM
Efren Reyes plays w/ a Judd Cue and he has two of them. He's been using Judd cues fo almost the last two years. Whether Santos lies or not the truth of the matter is t6hat Reyes plays w/ a Judd cue and not a Philippine-made cue.

Cueless Joey
10-31-2004, 11:11 PM
Efren was also playing with a Linds cue for a short time.
It looked just like the JT1.
Santos made an honest mistake I think.

Cueless Joey
10-31-2004, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Efren Reyes plays w/ a Judd Cue and he has two of them. He's been using Judd cues fo almost the last two years. Whether Santos lies or not the truth of the matter is t6hat Reyes plays w/ a Judd cue and not a Philippine-made cue.

<hr /></blockquote>
He's been playing with a Judd longer than that. When he won the 1999 WPC, he played with the Judd and the Philippine-made Jessie cue ( which he used to win the 1994 US Open with).
He's alson had an ebony Judd which he no longer has but he has kept one of the shafts ( that explains the black collar in his shaft even though the JT1 he uses now has brown phenolic collar).
Recently he has played with an Edwin Reyes cue for a short time and an ebony with ivory points Judd.

DeadStrokeMan
11-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Vouching for the 314 Shaft - I can make this shot about 90% of the time with that shaft:
WEI (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)
START(
%IC9O1%Pg6O7%QB9Z2%RB9C1%UC7F4%VC8N6
)END

Other shafts I have to "guess" and 'stab' my aim far into that 9 ball. With the predator - I can aim for the cut ... slide over for XTREME SPIN and kick that ball almost every time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
11-01-2004, 08:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr>
Fred what kind of cue does Efren use? <hr /></blockquote>Judd Fuller. JT-1. He's been using a Judd for a long time now. He can win with anything, but he keeps going back the Judd.

Fred

Rich R.
11-01-2004, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JMW:</font><hr> Efren Reyes Phillipines-made cue<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Since this is wrong, I can't trust the rest of the list with any confidence.<hr /></blockquote>
Another questionable entry on this list is Mika Immonen listed as using a Capone Custom Cue.
Mika is no longer sponsored by Capone and I doubt if he continues to use a Capone cue, especially because he endorsing Mezz Cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

justbrake
11-01-2004, 03:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JMW:</font><hr> Efren Reyes Phillipines-made cue<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
Since this is wrong, I can't trust the rest of the list with any confidence.<hr /></blockquote>
Another questionable entry on this list is Mika Immonen listed as using a Capone Custom Cue.
Mika is no longer sponsored by Capone and I doubt if he continues to use a Capone cue, especially because he endorsing Mezz Cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

I seen Mika Immonen at Amsterdam Billiards a few weeks ago with Tony Robles and I was trying to see what cue he was using myself, he was shooting next to my table with Tony and I thought it might have been a capone , but i'm not sure of it!

Rich R.
11-02-2004, 04:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr>I seen Mika Immonen at Amsterdam Billiards a few weeks ago with Tony Robles and I was trying to see what cue he was using myself, he was shooting next to my table with Tony and I thought it might have been a capone , but i'm not sure of it! <hr /></blockquote>
IIRC, Mika's Capone cue was ebony with ivory points. It was a beautiful cue.
Since CueStix Billiard Supply company is featuring Mika, in full page advertisements, for Mezz Cues, I would assume he is now using one of those cues. At least, if I were the one paying him the sponsorship money, he would be. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif