PDA

View Full Version : Corvette question

Gayle in MD
10-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi guys, just thought there might be some Corvette buffs out there, or in here, anyway, I have an eighty-one Corvette that I bought new, garage kept, but needs a new interrior. I am trying to make a decision on keeping it or selling it. Do you think it will become much more valuable in years to come. It wil be an antique soon, and I won't have to get it inspected anymore, but I really don't drive it, it just sits in the garage.

Just wondered, since it is one year shy of the Anniversary edition, how valuable it might become in years to come? Anyone know?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Thanks,
Gayle

Fair_Play
10-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Hello Gayle in MD,

Here is a page that you might find interesting:
http://www.diabolicalperformance.com/investment.html

Hope this helps - it is food for thought, to say the least.

The idea seems to be that you would have to hand on to your vette for some time, figuring the expenses you have doing that - of course, the interior is a downside, so if you could figure doing a renew job yourself... a long time to wait, it seems (30 years+). /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If it was me? I would do the interior, and super detail ALL, engine compartment etc, and sell now.. but that is me.

Good luck with any decison you make, and all the best to you and to yours!

Fair Play

Gayle in MD
10-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Thank you so much for your reply. You are right, I would definately put in the new carpet, that is about all it really needs inside. It has a really beautiful paint job, it's silver outside and red inside. Fires right up whenever I start it. Just getting tired of keeping it in the garage, LOL.

thanks again for all your help.
Gayle in Md.

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

SpiderMan
10-29-2004, 06:24 AM
Hi Gayle,

That particular style, made from '78-'82, is not particularly sought after, at least not in my area. The '78 "Silver Anniversary" is of course quite collectable as is the Indy Pace Car. In '79 there were few changes, other than to make the "Pace Car" seats standard equipment and black out the window trim.

I think 1980 was the year they integrated the optional front and rear spoilers into the bumpers. My personal preference is for the cleaner look of the 1978 and 1979. They were plagued with rear end and electrical problems, but once you fixed the flaws they were good cars. The 1981 had fewer built-in mechanical headaches (in my experience), but the standard engine was really anemic and the styling was more bloated.

I would not expect to see the 1981 become highly-sought-after in the near future, but on the other hand a well-kept one-owner car with low miles (you didn't mention mileage) will always find a buyer. So I guess I wouldn't keep it hoping for steep appreciation in the near term, but if you like the car get it on the road and enjoy it - it certainly won't depreciate if you stay on top of the maintenance, and you'll get a lot of looks and potential buyer interest if that's what you want.

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
10-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Well Hi there friend, and how are you? Thanks so much for the reply.
Well, you know that is why I have kept it all these yease, lol. And you know I have heard some folks say what you are telling me, it is not really a sought after year, but you know, everytime I take it out, you wouldn't believe how people act, they go nuts! I think in this case, first of all, I took the spoiler off as soon as I bought it, just didn't like the look of it, so it has never been on the road, lol. Also, I think that the color combination of this particular car is really pretty, but probably, as you say, will never really be a highly valued model dollar for dollar. I sure is pretty though, just wish I had a three car garage instead of two cars, lol.

Thanks again for the info friend, and take care.
Love,
Gayle in Md. ps when are you going to visit here again? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fair_Play
10-29-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey Boss,

A second thought - while if it was me, I would sell, seems like reading your posts that it would be a shame to sell cause you enjoy it, and it also gets plenty good attention.
Is there maybe any way you might have room to keep it outside, with a super good car cover? Or, pay for a storage unit? Not driving it that much would sure make it nice when you do take it out. Carpet is not all that hard to do yourself, I've done it a few times over the years.

Again, good luck in Vette Heaven!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fair Play

Rod
10-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Gayle I've owned 2, a 61 and a 76. Both were near restored. In the case of the 76 I sold it two years ago the 61 is long gone it got stolen. I still have the title. LOL

81 isn't a bad year but those things go up and down. There might be a strong market one year then be soft for even longer. It kind of depends on the area sometimes as well.

BTW mine was rarely driven in the last 2 years I owned it. In case you didn't know lots of sitting can cause bearings in the U Joints and carrier bearings in the rear end, plus wheel bearings to go bad. I've seen it happen and I owned a car (not a Vette) that happened to me. When they sit the bearings make a mark in the outer race, it causes tiny flat spots. Then when it's driven daily or long distance it happens. If you just keep it put it on stands is better but not a complete cure. You should drive it once a month to keep everything turned over. Personally I think I'd sell it, just because it turns 25 doesn't make it go up in value. It just means it 25, production numbers have a lot to do with price. Good Luck on what ever you decide, if it's real clean it should bring a good price now or later.

Rod

dg-in-centralpa
10-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Gayle,
I, too, owned a corvette. Mine was a 1960, not original but was fun to drive. That is why I had it. I didn't want a show car. I used to belong to a corvette club and most cars were from '58 to the early 70's. When one of the guys got an '85, we razzed him because it didn't go VROOM VROOM loud enough. It was all in good fun. In this area, your year is not looked at as collectible. Personally, if I were you, I'd drive it and enjoy it. They are fun to drive no matter what year it is.

DG - mine needed too much time, money, and work and I had none of the above - wish I still had it

Pizza Bob
10-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Gayle:

Sure would be a shame to part with it. What would you replace it with? Would you feel as good driving the replacement? A new interior (they tell me Al Knoch's are the best) is a small investment vs. 4, 5 or 6 years of car payments. You bought this car new in '81 and still have it?...there must be some emotional investment.

From a practical standpoint the C3's are starting to see an increase in value, but, for right now, it is mostly among the chrome bumpered variety and the big-blocks. Hold onto it long enough, and maintain it and you will realize some ROI, but certainly not what you could have had if you had invested the same amount of money in '81 and just "let it ride". We don't buy these cars for investments, we buy them for the SPM's (smiles per mile). I don't think I'll ever be without a plastic car in my garage, and if I have to add a bay for something else, so be it. My vote goes to keep it!!!! Enjoy!!!

Adios,

Pizza Bob <~~~~Loves his C4 Z51

CarolNYC
10-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Keep it and write to MTV's "PIMP MY RIDE" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I hope they pimp out my 73 Eldo convertible!
Keep it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carol

PQQLK9
10-30-2004, 12:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Keep it and write to MTV's "PIMP MY RIDE" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I hope they pimp out my 73 Eldo convertible!
Keep it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

now that would be cool /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
10-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Hi Bob,
You hit the nail on the nose. So many memories involved with that car. My friends used to say it was my reincarnation, LOL. My girlfriend had a Corvette, and we used to follow each other around the beltway, /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif boy, I could tell you some hilarious stories! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just that my husband is getting tired of not being able to park in the garage, LOL. I am driving a white Eldorado now, which I love, but the fun times in that Corvette, and of course, we all grew up wishing that we were driving a corvette, right?

It really is a pretty car, but I hate to put it out on the street and cover it up. Decisions, decisions, YUK!

thanks guys for the replies.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich R.
10-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Gayle, there is a very good Corvette Club in Maryland. Contact them and they may be able to help answer most, if not all of your questions.

Gayle in MD
10-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks Rich, yeah, I know some of the members, they're located fairly close to my home. thanks for the reply though.
Love,

Gayle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
10-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Im waiting Nick!
Cm'on, Xzibit,knock on my door! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Hey,by the way, Happy Halloween!

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric.
11-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Hey Gayle,

I love Vettes too.

Unfortunately, your's is not a collectable year and probably will not be in the near future. Alot of the price appreciation in Vettes (or any other car) is if it had special performance packge suchas a special engine or if it was produced in limited numbers. I think 1979 was the last year of the L82 "hot rod" engine option and Gymkana performance suspension. Unfortunately, the early 80's Vettes were considered the least collectable of all the Vettes.

On the flip side, if you're not selling it for the money, keep it. It sounds like a pristine car, you love it, so what more do we need to consider?

Eric &gt;needs more Vettes