PDA

View Full Version : 1/5 of all votes to be cast prior to election

eg8r
10-29-2004, 05:20 AM
NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/29/politics/campaign/29early.html?ei=5006&en=c77512333d95d81c&ex=109962 7200&partner=ALTAVISTA1&pagewanted=print&position= ) [ QUOTE ]
State election officials around the country said on Thursday that there had been a surge in early voting this year, with people lining up in numbers so large that some analysts predict that one-fifth of presidential ballots will be cast before Nov. 2.

The Kerry and Bush campaigns disagree about which side this early voting will help the most. But already, this trend is sharply altering the homestretch calculus of campaign strategists, affecting where candidates are sent and money is spent in the final days. And it has turned the get-out-the-vote drives that are usually reserved for the final hours of the campaign into a half-month marathon.

Here in Madison on Thursday, more than 80,000 people jammed onto a sloping boulevard leading up to the State Capitol to hear Senator John Kerry and Bruce Springsteen urge them to vote Democratic and, if possible, to do so early. Fresh from the rally, thousands in the crowd were directed to walk six blocks to the city-county building to cast their votes, marching behind Kerry volunteers toting "Follow Me" banners.

Early voting is taking place across Florida for the first time in a presidential election, and some people have waited hours at the limited polling sites out of concern that this Election Day will prove as chaotic as the one there four years ago. <hr /></blockquote> The early voting they are mentioning in Florida I think is only happening in one place....MY LOCAL LIBRARY!!!!!. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My gosh, you cannot get in the place without people thinking you are trying to cut in line. LOL, last night I had to warmly remind a few people that this was the library and the library is still open for business.

eg8r