PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shot? Maybe you aren't lookin' at it.

Chopstick
10-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Got a trouble shot that you just can't get down. I've got a bunch. I caught myself doing something and I don't think I'm the Lone Ranger.

When I get down over a shot I have trouble with as soon as I hit the cue ball my eyes would jump to the pocket I was aiming at. Why is this bad? Because I never saw the cue ball impact the object ball. You may not realize it but if your eyes are on the balls when they impact your subconscious takes a snapshot of what they looked like and will adjust your aim the next time you shoot it.

If you never see the impact you won't learn the adjustments to produce the proper view when aiming. I started practicing holding my eyes on the spot where the balls meet until they hit the rails. It is proving to very difficult to keep my eyes still.

Anyhow it's just a theory I have about why I can't make this @#$%#@$@%$&^ shot.

PQQLK9
10-29-2004, 11:24 AM
You too huh ... thanks for bringing that up as it is something I need to work on.
By the way, where do you play in Orlando. I found some good One-pocket at Jimmy's on Orange Blossom.

SpiderMan
10-29-2004, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Got a trouble shot that you just can't get down. I've got a bunch. I caught myself doing something and I don't think I'm the Lone Ranger.

When I get down over a shot I have trouble with as soon as I hit the cue ball my eyes would jump to the pocket I was aiming at. Why is this bad? Because I never saw the cue ball impact the object ball. You may not realize it but if your eyes are on the balls when they impact your subconscious takes a snapshot of what they looked like and will adjust your aim the next time you shoot it.

If you never see the impact you won't learn the adjustments to produce the proper view when aiming. I started practicing holding my eyes on the spot where the balls meet until they hit the rails. It is proving to very difficult to keep my eyes still.

Anyhow it's just a theory I have about why I can't make this @#$%#@$@%$&amp;^ shot. <hr /></blockquote>

Taking your eye off the target not only gets in the way of learning about your miss; it actually contributes to the likelihood of missing. Watch people playing and you'll often see them switch their eyes mid-stroke, looking off to where they want either the object ball or the cueball to go, and they dog the shot. You can't aim precisely without looking at the target, and that last-minute eye shift may translate to a last-minute shift in your delivery of the cue, not unlike pulling your head up.

Here's a golf analogy - look off to the green somewhere in the middle of your swing, do you still hit the ball exactly as planned?

SpiderMan

Rod
10-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Chopstick,

I agree you should have your eye on the ball. That's one reason why a smooth unhurried stroke is important. If you get hurried instead of staying down and going through the shot you're likely not seeing what you hit.

I'm positive a lot of people think they actually see it since there looking in that direction. Not always so because their eyes move and there not even aware it's happening. That pocket isn't going anywhere just hold focus on the shot and you can hear the ball drop. I happen to think it's good training. The common instinct is to look as soon as it's struck or even before as mentioned. Peaking gets plenty of people in trouble.

There was an article written on lazy eyes. Pro's have lazy eyes the general pool playing population does not.

Rod

Chopstick
10-29-2004, 11:33 AM
I'm on the north end. I play APA out of Trick Shots Altamonte and Trick Shots Metro West. These guys can't even spell one pocket. Jimmy's looks spooky to me. You know being that end of town and all. I heard stories that the Pro Billiards guys hung out there some times. Now that Pro Billiards is closed I guess Jimmy's will be that place for action. I have too good a job now days to risk any pool room altercations.

Chopstick
10-29-2004, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

Here's a golf analogy - look off to the green somewhere in the middle of your swing, do you still hit the ball exactly as planned?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

In ten years I have never hit a golf ball where I planned. Why do you think I started playing pool again? I got so demoralized playing golf I wanted to do something to regain my self asteem.

SpiderMan
10-29-2004, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

In ten years I have never hit a golf ball where I planned. Why do you think I started playing pool again? I got so demoralized playing golf I wanted to do something to regain my self asteem.
<hr /></blockquote>
It only took me three trips to Sherrill Park to figure that out. Too damned expensive - about a dozen balls gone every 18 holes!!!!

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
10-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Everyone slips on this to some degree, everyone. Personally my stroke method does not entail pinning my stare on the tiny point of CB/OB contact, instead I settle to a line painted to the point, shift eyes, find the point again and with BOTH eyes globalize the whole picture with the CB and cue flow and stay down until the shot in down. If I strive to see anything during the stroke and perpetual roll of the two balls, it is the white ball cuz the OB is SUPPOSED to go in if everything is right AS LONG as you trust yourself. The secret is the set and then the trusting the stroke, but MOST importantly, the staying still until the end of balls rolling. I see the whole shot, the line the contact and I "feel/hear" the result(when I do it right)...sid

JimS
10-29-2004, 04:17 PM
I have a sign which I sometimes hang from the light over my table: KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN!

Rod
10-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Not a bad idea Jim but maybe still would be more like it. Guess it's sort of the same thing. You know in golf, where it could hae come from, it's bad advice. Keeping your head down prevents a free shouler turn under the chin. In golf it should be more like keep your chin up. I guess the idea was keep an eye on the ball but phrased wrong. Even if we keep our head still though our eyes can wander, but not as likely.

Rod, still wandering

JimS
10-29-2004, 08:29 PM
To me the sign means that I'm to stay still until either the ob goes in the hole or the cb stops rolling. "Freeze" in RandyG's lingo. spff

I have a new sign now "SMOOTH". /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif