PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging Pre-Paid Airline Tickets - Help?

Barbara
10-29-2004, 03:52 PM
My sister's daughter lives near Burbank, CA and needs an operation to remove her spleen. I originally booked my sister's flight with Expedia, only to have to find out, the Docs moved up the ops and I need to reschedule the flight totally. Coming and going.

According to Expedia's rules, it would cost me at least $100 to make any changes and/or cancel. Well, since the new flight date is only 5 days away, I figure maybe we should talk at the very airport with a supervisor at Philly International and see if we can get over the "no days or dates" restrictioin they claim on Expedia's website.

Anybody have any success with this tactic? We're tag-teaming them tomorrow at 10 am...

Anybody else have their spleen removed and what has that done for you??

Barbara~~~nervous Auntie...

dg-in-centralpa
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Best wished to your niece for a speedy recovery. I've never had this operation so I can't help you there. Check your PM.

DG - aka Duane

Popcorn
10-29-2004, 06:19 PM
If you bring something maybe you can talk them into it. Most airlines have a family emergence policy. Worse comes to worse, pay the $100. and don't get too upset about it. It is not worth it.

Ross
10-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Barbara, coincidentally this exact airline issue happened to me yesterday. I bought tickets from Expedia to fly yesterday to Texas to see my mother in a nursing home. Wed night I got sick -- just a cold, but I'm not going to fly with stuffed up sinuses nor am I going to a nursing home when I'm sick. So I had to cancel my flight and unfortunately I did lose $100 on my rebooking, so I'm not much help on how to get around it. Just wanted you to know that I'm in the same cancellation penalty boat. I also agree that with all you have on your plate I would think about just paying the $100 and try not to fret it - if that is possible.

Also when you rebook pay the $15 for ticket insurance (that's what I did for my rebooking) so you won't face this penalty twice in a row.

And I don't know anything about the effects of the spleen surgery either. So I'm not much help there either...

But I can tell you I'll be thinking of you and I hope all goes extremely well with your daughter!

Nostroke
10-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Yeah-Pay the 100 and consider yourself lucky. Unless it is jetblue or Southwest, they probably need the money more than you do.

I just paid an extra 100 to get back from albuquerque as i must have punched in the wrong date online. I was leaving on the 25th but my ticket was for the 30th somehow. I was so happy to pay the extra 100 and get the damn flights on that day with just the "change charge".

CarolNYC
10-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Hey Barb,
Hope all goes well with your neice!
As for expedia,never used them but maybe you can talk directly to airline,being its an emergency situation, they may be able to just change the dates!
Carol~if not,pay the 100 /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Barbara
10-30-2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks to all that replied. We're getting ready to go to the airport and see if we can straighten things out. Pete and I used to watch that series, "Airline", so we've been "enlightened" about airport ettiquette.

I've pretty much resigned myself to eating the $100. But check this out, for the exchange, my sister gets the credit, not my credit card! How does that happen?

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2004, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>
...I'm not going to fly with stuffed up sinuses...

<hr /></blockquote>

I had always heard that and I did not necssarily believe it. Until it happened to me. We were descending and I could not get my ears to pop. The pain was incredible and I was afraid my eardrums were going to rupture.

Finaly I hear this loud *pop* then another *pop* a few seconds later on the other side as my Eustachian tubes blew open /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

learned a lesson that night

Wally &lt;~~ only has hearing loss from rock-and-roll shows

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2004, 06:50 AM
My friend lost his spleen in an auto accident. He is now more susceptible to infections. That's all I know but I imagine your sister has researched it.

Ross
10-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Wally, I knew a lawyer who really damaged his eardrum because he flew when he had a cold. He was in incredible pain for several days and months later his hearing had not fully recovered. I'm surprised the airlines aren't required to publicize this more.

Barbara
10-30-2004, 08:28 AM
We just got back from the airport. Pete picked out an airline woman who led us to the airlines manager and we were able to exchange the tix for $100. We thanked everyone and took names for follow-up letters.

Sometimes it pays to do things in person instead of over the phone.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2004, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Sometimes it pays to do things in person instead of over the phone.
<hr /></blockquote>

and sometimes it pays to have an extra large man with you /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif j/k

I lived in FL for a spell many years ago. I worked for a week at "Big Irv's Jewish Delicatessen and Farm Market". I then got another job moving furniture with this big biker dude named Glenn. When I went to Big Irv's to get my check they acted like they didn't know me so the next day I took Glenn with me.

You should have seen the look on Big Irv's face when Glenn walked up to him and hollered "Hey, you Big Irv?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Big Irv's memory suddenly inproved dramatically.

thanks for listening.

I'm also "Dubya" and I approved this message.