PDA

View Full Version : What is the most important part of a Break Cue?

kenz54
10-29-2004, 06:22 PM
What is the most important part of a break cue? Is it the tip? The stiffness of the shaft? etc.?
Thanks!

Rich R.
10-30-2004, 03:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote kenz54:</font><hr> What is the most important part of a break cue? Is it the tip? The stiffness of the shaft? etc.?
Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>
The person holding it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi Ken,

I believe it's the weight. According to your timing and stroke.

Regards,

C.C.

ceebee
10-30-2004, 09:57 AM
I like to think the stiffness of the shaft's spine is what makes a good Break Cue. You also have to have a good hard tip. The balance and weight fall in here somewhere too.

Billy_Bob
10-30-2004, 10:31 AM
My break cue is just a "regular cue", but it has a metal to metal screw and metal rings on the joint (good strong joint), a euro taper on a 13mm shaft (stronger shaft), a Tiger break/jump tip (extra hard tip designed for breaking - will not mushroom or change shape), and a quarter shape on the tip (best shape for breaking - less likely to miscue - tip less likely to change shape)

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I like to think the stiffness of the shaft's spine is what makes a good Break Cue. You also have to have a good hard tip. The balance and weight fall in here somewhere too. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm using a cheap (J &amp; J) sneaky pete with a very stiff taper. I put one of the Talisman breaking tips with a quarter radius on it and have been getting excellent results.

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Hi Charlie,

I know the trend most players are going with but I have to disagree. I've seen Jamie Baraks break 31MPH with a meucci and explode the rack. I know that the siffer the cue the quicker the responce but, it's all timing. This I know all too well. I've seen way to many powerful breakers. I agree on the tip being shaved down. Less cushion. The best is with only the ferrule on it. Proving the application of the one piece ferrule and tip. However, timing is such a key role in breaking and the weight sould be about 1 oz lighter than your playing cue. IMHO

But, I hope this doesn't change our dinner togather when we ever do meet in Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I need to eat.

Regards,

C.C.~~hopes Charlie is feeling better lately.

Gayle in MD
10-31-2004, 06:50 AM
Hi Chris,
Speaking of weight, I play with a very light cue, (17oz) and since I am not very big, and do not have a lot of power in my break, should I use a heavy cue to break? If the most important thing is the speed and thrust of the cue as it hits the cueball (and accuracy of course)then wouldn't I be able to get more with a lighter cue than a heavier one? I always wonder about that. I know that the feel of a cue in your hands is ultimately the most important part of any equation regarding cues, but as far as the physics involved, (You can make yourself get used to either as far as the feel goes) would a "Light" person have more forward thrust, power and control with a light cue, or a heavier one?

I wonder about this all the time, but have never read anything that addressed the question?

Thank you friend,
Love,
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ceebee
10-31-2004, 08:17 AM
Chris, "timing" is definitely the major part of using a Break Cue, to bust up them balls. I was just honing in on the question, "What is the most important part of a Break Cue?", not the use of a Break Cue.
I certainly ain't gonna let you "off the hook", for dinner, just because I don't know anthing about playing pool. Ha, Ha, Ha!

Popcorn
10-31-2004, 10:12 AM
No need to wonder about it, do the experment and determin what works best for you.

Chris Cass
10-31-2004, 10:29 AM
Hi Gayle,

Heide is like 98lbs and has a wonderful break. The weight of the cue I was refering to is god where speed is concerned but that doesn't mean you have to have a powerbreak to have good action off the rack.

Using a 17oz cue is ok. I think you should shoot from the headstring line. maybe, off to the side to have less chance of scratching. Then, I suggest you bridge off the rail as this will increase your power a bit and control at a faster speed.

I also think you should draw back on your final stroke slowly and when targeting the 1 ball or the head ball. Your main objective should be to hit as full as possible. The shortest distance and the most direct line.

Robert Byrnes has a page in his book that says pretty much of what I'm conveying. When you draw back slow and start to propel the cue forward. Try to think of yourself exploding the rack. Try your best to think of driving the cb into the 9 ball. That will give you the incentive to follow-through further. You might also hold your back hand a bit further down on the cue. And lastly, stay down on the ball as long as you can.

After awhile you'll start seeing results. I think it's also important to remember that it's timing and not strength involved. Thinking of this will make you remember not to grip the cue hard at all. Just tighten up on the ending of your stroke as not to let the cue go across the room. lol

It may not be the best advice but the main objective of the break is to make one ball and get a shot on the 1 ball or the lowest ball if your thinking of the cut break. The cut break is another anilal all togather. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~hopes this helps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Snyder1
10-31-2004, 11:30 AM
IMHO ... a stiff tip &amp; follow through. Weight is a matter of preference ...

JS

JimS
11-01-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi Gayle,

I've read that a lighter cue is better for breaking because a person can generate more speed with it.

I also like CC's advice about making a slow backswing on the final stroke.

I had big problems with hitting a decent power break until I started using a slow back swing and a pause at the back before the break stroke (a pause at the back of EVERY final stroke helps me). That process really helped me...and I switched to a light break stick too. I still don't have a GOOD break but it's better than it was.

66goat
11-03-2004, 09:10 PM
I've also heard and seen that a lighter cue can generate faster cueball speed than a heavy cue. Years ago I read an article where two guys took the head rail off of a table and clocked the cueball with a radar gun. The lighter cue helped generate more cue speed, therefore resulting in more cueball speed.

All that said though, it's really what you feel comfortable with. I prefer the hard tips with the quarter round as well. A soft tip is too much trouble on a break cue. Concentrate on the contact point, draw back slowly and let her rip. Good luck...

daviddjmp
11-04-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure how reliable their testing was, but Platinum Billiards has a chart showing speeds of different break cues. None of them tested were very light, all from 18-20 ounces. Interesting, anyway-

http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_break.php?sid=ac45b3a988558fd9e97a621a25bcd fa7