PDA

View Full Version : The Violent Pool Player

DeadStrokeMan
10-29-2004, 11:12 PM
This guy owed me $240.00 for months and months from the last time we played. So I run into him and after quite a bit of "haggling" over the money - I agreed to $50.00 - call it even.

So - Now I'm stupid enough to play the guy again ( me thinx I need brain surgery /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). To-witt: He preceeds to get DRUNK and DRUNKER and DRUNKER ... Now this fella plays a damn good game when he's "sauced". I have no problem with this .... BUT! BUT! He begins to be VIOLENT in his actions .... making horrible errors and - when I (and others) call him on it (such as playing the wrong ball in rotation <ball in hand>) - He gets TOTALLY PISSED OFF - And he's a huge dude that spent 11 years in prison.

Ya know what - the last match - I just WALKED. I put my $40.00 down - said "keep it" ... He can think what ever he wants. I was very tired anyways. I wasn't drinkin at all.

Thats it for me. No more "Fri/Sat" in the bars for $$. Just not worth the hassle. From time to time its fun in the afternoons ect.... But I can't handle drunks. Especially PISSED OFF X-FELON DRUNKS!

Live and learn - Chaulk this one up as XPerience to the fool. Its a shame I live in such a "cornered" section of the globe where there are only 2 places to play pool and they are both simple "drunk holes" with the potential for trouble.

Utah SUX as a state completely. There is one pool hall here - but the only people that play in it are "kids" (broke delinquent drug pushers looking for trouble). That place is going out of business because the state won't give him a liquor license and the "punks" have no $$ to support the table rentals.

So - I'm stuck with buying a 9'er and learning how to cloth/assemble it since we are renters and will probably move a few times in the next few years.

I have a headache - I'm watching TV - I'm not gunna "chaulk up" for a while ... that "episode" was just too much for me at 44 yrs Old.

DeadStrokeMan
10-29-2004, 11:25 PM
OH - Let me add the other reasons *NOT* to go to these "trash pits" any more:

7'ers with LEAD/DEAD cue balls that DESTROY your good tips.

People "smashing" into you constantly from the crowded table positions....drunk people with "attitudes" about you being in their way as they proceed to 'misCue' and toss the cue ball into the wall.

Loud Loud music and SCREAMING idiots all about ... Constant fight/struggle for concentration from all these "xplosions" ... like playing pool in a "War Zone". When I was young ...didn't bother me much ... Today - IT DOES.

CarolNYC
10-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience-some places just dont have any etiquette rules,but think of it this way, at least you learned and are rid of the guy after a few bucks,rather than a few thousand!
Just like in "the Bronx Tale" /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Hope your future experiences are better ones!
Take care!
Carol

Popcorn
10-30-2004, 12:20 AM
With all due respect, I didn't read anything in your story that you did not cause yourself. Every town has places and people like that. You just don't go to those places or associate with those kinds of people.

DeadStrokeMan
10-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Ah - yeah ... Duh
[ QUOTE ]

( me thinx I need brain surgery /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ). <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Dude,

If the guy stiff ya and then you settle for the $50. Why in the world would you think you could win that game? I'm not talking out shooting him.

I once played a guy starting out at $50. one pocket. Ended up playing races to 3 for $200. We paid after each game or set depending and locked the doe up everytime but the last set for $200. He insisted I played him after not posting the first $200. I seen he had it as he paid me for the last set. I refused to play him another till I got paid. Now, the guy pays me and doesn't want to post the next set. I'm up $400. in my pocket and just to get the $200. he owed me from the last set he himself had. I had to play him another.

He told me that my buddies had the doe and was backing him. I told my buddies that I wanted the post.They told me he came into an inheritance and assured me that he'd pay me. Well, now I got the $600. in my pocket and could see the air barrel coming.

I played him the next set for the $200. and as I was up 2-0 in games and had him down 7-2 I look up and mysterously my buddies had left the hall. I beat the guy 8-2 and he tells me that my buddies had the doe. That they were backing him. I knew better.

I call my one buddy on the phone and sure enough, he doesn't answer. I'm pi$$ed but now the guy leaves owing me $200. I call my buddy later and tell him what he had said. Both buddies denigh the fact they were backing him and I get stiffed.

2 facts, my buddies were playing me down the middle. If the shooter comes back on me they collect from him a cut. The next being that if he loses, they don't pay nopthing and denigh knowing anything. Seen this too often but for me it was worth it. I never had to see the guy again. I also had made $600. for the day.

Later on my buddies showed their true colors as a road dog came into play a friend of mine. The road dog wasn't all that and I knew his game along with my friends game. I back the guy and make $200. on the split. Well, $180. as I gave the guy some jelly for shooting.

Now, my buddy comes up to me and asks me for a cut of the match. I said, What? He goes on to tell me that he sent the guy in to play. I told him to kiss my lilly white and he's mad at me. I walk up to my friend that shot the guy and he told me that my buddy had sent him up there. Also, that he told my friend to play him and he'd be there with the money soon.

He never came till it was over. Also, I asked my friend, why did he ask me for the back? He told me that he knows the buddy too.

Food for thought,

C.C.

PQQLK9
10-30-2004, 06:55 AM
Gee Chris,gambling sure sounds like hard work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi Nick,

You know it's not about gambling for me at all. I like it because I don't sweat the doe. Now, put me in a tourney like the US Open and I'm like sweating bullets. HAHAHAHA

Not next time. I'm going to get used to that thing if it kills me. Some are just natural born tournament players. I relly have to work at that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~my dawg Nick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
10-30-2004, 09:21 AM
No place to play? Thats tough. Maybe you should move to Holland! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
My local club has 6 snooker tables, one billiard and 24 pool tables [ all Brunswik 9"], including 4 new competition tables.

http://www.loontjens.com/isroot/Loontjens/ProductImages/pl_ClashCompetition.gif

Q

DeadStrokeMan
10-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Gosh - rub it in! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DeadStrokeMan
10-30-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the guy stiff ya and then you settle for the $50. Why in the world would you think you could win that game? <hr /></blockquote>

I had taken $100.00 previous - the rest he owed me. Yes - I'm the dummy for playin' more after this... he had 'cash'$ in hand at this point and I had told him I would never "ride" the money with him again.

In this town - there are about 200,000 people. Of which there are 4 (count them- FOUR) that play at my speed. He is one of them. I guess it was more about "wanting the challenge" than anything else. I've not 'hustled' or 'layed low' (much) to take their money. Thats just not even fun. I'd rather play folks that CAN BEAT ME - or at least stand a chance to do so. Playing people I can easily beat is BORING .... Just not a challenge at all.

Mormons rule this land here - so its not like other places. When I was in CT - WOW ....and BOSTON ....WOW ! It was AWESOME! I could find HOT games all the day long ..tough players. Players that really bring out your game. And on 9'ers to boot!

At the Joss tourney in Quincy - they had a 12x6' Snooker table - oooof ...I would love to have played on that but time didn't permit.

There is a 1-1/2" slated Brunswick 10' Snooker table I can have for $1800.00 right now. Seriously thinking about that table. Play 9Ball on it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif - blast!

Put it in the garage and teach my children ... perhaps I can "breed" a challenger - LOL

nhp
10-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I've dealt with 'violent' players before, and you just have to know how to talk to them if you want to avoid conflict. When back in the mid 90's, when I first started playing pool, an asian gang used to hang out at the poolhall I went to. They were always looking for easy action, and a couple of them were decent players. One of them, however, played good but he was known for being crazy if his temper heats up. Imagine this guy- he is covered in tattoos from head to toe- that's right, he had tattooes even on his face and head. He had scars in his arm and neck from being shot a few times, and he had been in jail for a few years for assault and battery. As you can imagine- bad company. He liked the way I played pool, and often he would ask me to be his doubles partner against some unsuspecting fools to easily take their money. Since the people he chose to play doubles against couldn't play at all, I usually obliged just to stay on his good side.
One day he wanted to play scotch doubles against two other players who actually played kind of good. I was at first hesitant, but then the guy said "come on, it's just cheap action, for fun!" (10$ a man). So the game started, and my partner rarely left me a shot. He kept hooking me. On top of it, my opponent kept hooking me, either on purpose or by luck when he would miss. I never got a chance to get in stroke, and I rarely got a shot too. So the last game I was left with the CB on the end rail, the OB in the middle of the table, and the 9-ball hanging in a corner pocket at the opposite end. I shoot to combo the 9, and I miss it completely, and I leave the other guys an easy win. My teammate got really pissed at me, and started yelling at me like "how could you miss that shot! all you had to do was make the 9-ball go rail first and the shot becomes even easier!" At this point I was frustrated and I said "Look man I never got a chance to get in stroke, the other guys kept hooking me, and so did you" Then he paused for a second, and he smiled and actually apologized to me! At that point I was very surprised, but I think he realized that he was going to lose his favorite doubles partner if he kept yelling at me. What I've noticed about these types of people is that if you show weakness and fear to them, they thrive on it and continue to do it. But if you look them in the eye, and say something, even if it's politely, but if you DEMONSTRATE that you are not afraid, usually they will level with you. Ever since then I always avoided playing doubles with him again.

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Don't get too down on yourself dawg. Lesson learned and it seems you think the way I do.

Regards,

C.C.~~I get along with all the players from NY, PA, and Boston. Sure wish they had some heart out here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 10:31 PM
Hi nhp,

Don't I know what your talking about. I used to hustle when I was a younger man. It's a talent to be able to take the doe and avoid conflict. They all just really want respect as anyone really wants. Especially after getting beat in front of some onlookers or friends.

Some just want to stiff you too. I had one guy I was playing for $50. one stinking day. The guy made a good shot and I tapped my cue on the floor acknowledging it. We were playing 14.1 race to 100.

He went off telling me I was trying to shark him. I denghed it and told him I was just giving him a compliment on a great shot. He called me a liar. This was in front of a few people and I seen that game coming. I told him I really wanted to compliment his shot.

Heck, I had him 53-7. Why would I need to shark him? Anyway, these words are fighting words where I come from. I only went along with him and then he quieted down. I beat the guy 100-16. The guy throws the $50. down on the table and tells me that he'll never play me again.

I wanted so bad to tell him he was an a$$ but I took the $50. and walked. Another player walked up to me aftwerwards and told me why I took that from him? I asked him, Can I call you a liar for $50.? He got my point. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, he played me the mext time I seen him too. Only this time, he just paid me and I never said one thing to compliment his game.

Regards,

C.C.

nhp
10-31-2004, 04:56 AM
There really are some odd people out there. How about this one- A few months ago I was playing this guy some $20 sets. Both of his cues are worth more than $6,000 combined, and he won't bet more than $20. So in the first set I'm up 4-2 in a race to 6. I get down on my shot, and he starts tapping his cue on the floor, loudly. For $20 I could really care less what someone does. I win that game and get to the hill. The next game, I am shooting a tough shot on the 1-ball, and right when I get down he starts doing it again, but this time he grabs a chalk off the table and starts tapping it on the rail of the table next to us, while at the same time banging his stick on the floor. I thought to myself that he was a one-man orchestra, and I burst out laughing. He stops, and just looks at me. I miss the shot. I didn't say anything, and I end up winning the set. The next set, while he is down on a shot, I am sitting on a chair behind him, out of his line of site. It was a shot where the OB was close to another ball, so I stood up to watch the hit. As I stood up, I guess he saw my shadow, so he got angry at me for moving. I didn't say anything, and I won that set too. He quit, and a few days later the owner of the poolroom told me that the guy complained about me because I sharked him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ken_4fun
10-31-2004, 07:49 AM
I was speaking with the local top player from years ago. He had played all over the country and it never fails when people find out from they ask if I know him.

Anyway I was writing for a billiard magazine, (not this one) but as I sent the articles in and they were published I had a hard time getting paid.

I told the local pro about it. He smiled knowingly, then said "I played with people like that and I always make them post up".

Pool players and pool magazine editors....always make them post up.

True story, LOL

Regards
ken

Popcorn
10-31-2004, 08:14 AM
They just use it as an excuse to quit or for not playing you again, i.e., "I'm not playing him again he was trying to shark me". It is easier then saying they can't win or you play too good so they have to accuse you of something.

Deeman2
11-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Deeman's simple rules of gambling.

1) Don't play drunks.
2) Get paid after each game and set.
3) Don't extend credit to people you don't trust/know.
4) Don't play drunks.
5) Don't gamble in dives until you are well known there.
6) Don't gamble against a guy who has a an entourage of idiots hanging around him.
7) Don't play drunks.
8) Don't tell anyone you can't play and then run racks.
9) Always post the money with someone you trust or in plane sight.
10) Use coins to keep score.
11) Keep an eye on your case and cues.
12) Don't play drunks.

Deeman

Ives
11-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Hey Dead Stroke, what part of Utah you in? Im in S.L.C.
Just started playing at EO'S last week. Nice quite family run place. The only draw back is no alcohol.

And yes I agree, if your a pool player, Utah is not the state to be in.

DeadStrokeMan
11-01-2004, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Hey Dead Stroke, what part of Utah you in? Im in S.L.C.
Just started playing at EO'S last week. Nice quite family run place. The only draw back is no alcohol.

And yes I agree, if your a pool player, Utah is not the state to be in.
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm in St. George Utah - 1.5 hour from Vegas ... S.L.C is WAY up there ... about 4-5 hour drive for me. If you come down to the warmer climate - you'll have to look me up.

NH_Steve
11-01-2004, 11:14 AM
I had a guy threaten to 'squish me like a bug' over a hundred dollar game of One Pocket. He did end up throwing the money on the table and didn't touch me, but I consider myself lucky because I heard reports of more than one incident where he did throw somebody around. My wife rather pointedly suggested I not play the guy anymore /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif which I didn;t for about a year. If I play him now it is only for say twenty and pretty much set up as casual...

Now that I'm fifty something I think I'm finally better at avoiding that kind of opponent. I mean, why play someone when even if you win, you might not get paid -- or worse -- and the alternative is that you lose? That's what I call a lose-lose proposition, and why bother unless you really like that tough guy challenge yourself, or you simply have to, to make your living.

I have a day job and I have a family; I'd like to pass on that type of game -- as long as I see it coming /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DeadStrokeMan
11-01-2004, 11:29 AM
OMG! ... I violated a few rules - LOL

Don't play drunks. FAILED!

#### leonard
11-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Deeman Ralph Greenleaf played an exhibition in Troy, NY and came in drunk, ran 125 and out, put on trick shots and was gone in one hour. It was said half of his 1000+ runouts were done when he was drunk. So not playing drunks might be a good move.####

Deeman2
11-01-2004, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Deeman Ralph Greenleaf played an exhibition in Troy, NY and came in drunk, ran 125 and out, put on trick shots and was gone in one hour. It was said half of his 1000+ runouts were done when he was drunk. So not playing drunks might be a good move.#### <hr /></blockquote>

####,

I would have broken my rule to have the honor of playing Mr. Greenleaf....I have heard many stories of how well he would play and how he would go to the can and sip between breaks. I envy you getting to see and play with so many greats of the game.

I believe you should write a book. I know many people would buy it. I spent last night, waiting in the hot seat in a tournament talking to an older gentelman about many of the greats. Sadly, there is not enough info/film and such about them. When people such as yourself are gone, we will lose the last link with many of these great players.

I think, because we don't have serious straight pool anymore, we won't see their like again.

Thanks, ####, for all the stories and your knowlegde as well.

Deeman

NBC-BOB
11-01-2004, 01:15 PM
I stopped playing pool in bars,after a guy put a gun to my head.He was upset that I ran 3 racks of 8 ball on him.It was many years ago and we weren't playing for much maybe $2.
per game.I for one don't want to play anyone who is stupid enough to pull a gun on anyone for any amount,especially $6.
Bob

Deeman2
11-01-2004, 01:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NBC-BOB:</font><hr> I stopped playing pool in bars,after a guy put a gun to my head.He was upset that I ran 3 racks of 8 ball on him.It was many years ago and we weren't playing for much maybe $2.
per game.I for one don't want to play anyone who is stupid enough to pull a gun on anyone for any amount,especially $6.
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Bob,

That's what you get for being in NY! In Texas, gunplay doesn't come into effect until they are down at least $50.....
/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Deeman