PDA

View Full Version : McDermott customer service

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Just wanted to give a thumbs-up to McDermott.

I got tired of playing with a 12.5 mm shaft on my McD. The reason it was 12.5 mm can be found here (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=79240&page= &view=&sb=&o=) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I sent my cue to McD for 2 new shafts and had the linen wrap replaced with black leather.

Total time from when I mailed it till I got it back was 3 weeks and they did an excellent job. It's almost like having a new cue for $220 total including shipping. They even put Elk Master tips on for me even though their standard is Triangle.

One thing I noticed is the 3/8-10 joint pin screws in a bit tighter than it did in the original shaft. That's a good thing IMO.

I be happy /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody_968
10-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Glad to hear you are happy Wally, its always good to see a positive post on service. Almost everything I have ever heard on Mcdermotts customer service has been good.

Rod
10-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Wally,

I've dealt with them and it's been all good. I use to order shafts for people and it took just over a week to get them. Glad to hear there service is still good.

Rod

Rich R.
10-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Wally, congrats on the "almost new cue." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's very nice to see a post about good service.
Too often, people only post when they get bad service and they forget to let everyone know, when the get good service.

Karatemom
10-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Wow. That post could have been written by me, LOL. Would you believe that my shaft is also down to 12.5 mm, from it's original 13 mm when it was bought for me. I have sent the butt in to McDermott for a refinish and rewrap in the past and they have always done a wonderful job and didn't have to wait more than 2 - 3 weeks. My cue only came with one shaft, so for the time being I'm stuck with the skinny shaft. Chris does want to order another for me though and it's nice to hear that not much has changed at McDermott.

Heide

catscradle
10-30-2004, 07:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Just wanted to give a thumbs-up to McDermott.

<hr /></blockquote>

I also had a very, very good experience with their customer service. All I had done was have the McDermott logo put back on after it had been inadvertantly removed in a refinishing. Five dollar deal, but they treated me like I was spending a couple of thousand with them.

frankbullett
11-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Had similar experience. I ordered a 12.25 mm/18 oz. cue from McDermott. When it was delivered the stain was so dark you couldn't see the inlay in the wood and it was the wrong weight. I expected the typical fight you have with the manufacturer. I sent the cue back, they agreed the stain was much to dark, it should not have made it through quality control. They built a new cue, put my ititials on it and sent it back in a new McDermott case. I think they take a lot of pride in their product. Also, the cue plays like a dream.

SpiderMan
11-01-2004, 08:43 AM
I've also had good luck with McDermott customer service.

I bought a Prestige II with three shafts. When I first assembled the cue, the shaft felt "funny" sliding through my fingers. I took a few measurements and found that the shafts were hourglass-tapered, ie they were larger at the ferrule than at 8 or 10 inches back. The difference was over .005", easy to feel, probably due to over-zealous sanding in that area.

Anyway, I called customer service and emailed them my measurements. They had me return the cue for examination, and after verifying the problem they fitted three new shafts.

If their production quality control was as good as their customer service, they'd make a lot more money (do it right vs do it over)!

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
11-01-2004, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
..I took a few measurements and found that the shafts were hourglass-tapered, ie they were larger at the ferrule than at 8 or 10 inches back. The difference was over .005", easy to feel,... <hr /></blockquote>

spiderman, you now have reminded me I forgot to mic the shafts /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thanks.

Wally &lt;~~ will forget again by the time I get home /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-04-2004, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I've also had good luck with McDermott customer service.

I bought a Prestige II with three shafts. When I first assembled the cue, the shaft felt "funny" sliding through my fingers. I took a few measurements and found that the shafts were hourglass-tapered, ie they were larger at the ferrule than at 8 or 10 inches back. The difference was over .005", easy to feel, probably due to over-zealous sanding in that area.

Anyway, I called customer service and emailed them my measurements. They had me return the cue for examination, and after verifying the problem they fitted three new shafts.

If their production quality control was as good as their customer service, they'd make a lot more money (do it right vs do it over)!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

spiderman,

A normal person might think it strange to walk down to your basement at 6:15 am and think "hey, I need to measure those new McDermott shafts", but I am certain those on this board would understand. So that's what I did this morning.

The shafts were cylindrical for the first 13 inches. One measured 0.520" (13.21mm) + or - .001"

one was 0.518" (13.16mm) + or - .001"

BTW I also measured my J &amp; J sneaky pete breaker and it was 0.540" (13.72mm) /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif with the taper beginning at 6" from the tip.

FYI

SpiderMan
11-04-2004, 02:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I've also had good luck with McDermott customer service.

spiderman,

A normal person might think it strange to walk down to your basement at 6:15 am and think "hey, I need to measure those new McDermott shafts", but I am certain those on this board would understand. So that's what I did this morning.

The shafts were cylindrical for the first 13 inches. One measured 0.520" (13.21mm) + or - .001"

one was 0.518" (13.16mm) + or - .001"

BTW I also measured my J &amp; J sneaky pete breaker and it was 0.540" (13.72mm) /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif with the taper beginning at 6" from the tip.

FYI
<hr /></blockquote>

Looks like you got the good ones!

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
11-05-2004, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
...(13.21mm) + or - .001"

...(13.16mm) + or - .001"

<hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>

Looks like you got the good ones!

A bit oversized but it doesn't bother me. I could not have told the difference had I not measured them.

At least they are consistent.