PDA

View Full Version : Tip Question

woody
10-30-2004, 06:37 PM
This evening I put a new Water Buffalo tip (not a layered tip) on my cue. The tip came from a previous box of Buffalo tips I purchased. Those tips were alot darker in color than the present box of Buffalo's that I use. When it came time to shave the sides, I use a Porper tool. I turned the shaft tip upside down on a table top and through the shaver. As I was shaving the tip I noticed the leather was separating slightly as I shaved in a downward motion. I could hold the shaft in my hand and press on the tip with my thumb and ever so slightly move the leather. It wasn't enough to pop the tip off, or separate the leather, but enough to watch the leather move. I finished shaving and burnishing the tip. Shot with it for about an hour and felt it played great except for one thing. It seemed to have a 'ping' or loose sound to it. Is it because of the hardness of the tip? Is the tip defective? Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance.

Troy
10-30-2004, 07:13 PM
By your description, I'd say you ran into a bad tip. Your comment that you "noticed the leather was separating slightly" is a dead giveaway IMO.
I would replace the tip.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody:</font><hr> This evening I put a new Water Buffalo tip (not a layered tip) on my cue. The tip came from a previous box of Buffalo tips I purchased. Those tips were alot darker in color than the present box of Buffalo's that I use. When it came time to shave the sides, I use a Porper tool. I turned the shaft tip upside down on a table top and through the shaver. As I was shaving the tip I noticed the leather was separating slightly as I shaved in a downward motion. I could hold the shaft in my hand and press on the tip with my thumb and ever so slightly move the leather. It wasn't enough to pop the tip off, or separate the leather, but enough to watch the leather move. I finished shaving and burnishing the tip. Shot with it for about an hour and felt it played great except for one thing. It seemed to have a 'ping' or loose sound to it. Is it because of the hardness of the tip? Is the tip defective? Any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance. <hr /></blockquote>

DeadStrokeMan
10-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Invert cue - smack against the floor a bunch of times to 'shrink' the tip up. If the glue is tight - and you don't miscue - it might be an anamoly for that tip ....never tried one of those.

stickman
10-30-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm with Troy on this. A hard water buffalo tip will sometimes ping, but a good hard tip doesn't slightly separate when you trim or shape it. I'd replace it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trailboss
10-30-2004, 09:22 PM
This happened to me when retipping with an Elkmaster tip. My cue started to ping and the tip popped off shortly thereafter. I reglued it with tweetens glue and let it set for three days. Four months later the tip is still on and no ping sound is heard.

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi Woody,

I go with Troy on this one too. Sounds like the leather separating is a bad tip. The ping is more than likely a gap in the glue and it sounds like there's more than just one thing wrong with it.

There's also two differnt colors of tips in the Bufollo. One dark brown and another sort of light. Could be the tips were stored in the wrong place and somehow got damp. Water will ruin tips.

Regards,

C.C.~~didn't do well for the bufollo either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

woody
10-31-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks to all. I am going to replace it. Chris if water ruins tips, what should I do to burnish it or is the small amount of spit around the outside OK?

stickman
10-31-2004, 06:22 AM
I've had a couple of laminated tips begin to separate, and they pinged when they started going bad. The ping of a non-layered hard water buffalo tip is just a little different sound. Anyway, considering that a tip is worth two to three dollars, I'd replace it rather than take a chance that I might have a tip cause me problems in the middle of a tournament or a money match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
10-31-2004, 08:23 AM
A small amount of saliva to burnish is OK. The very act of burnishing (I use a piece if un-dyed leather about 1"x3") eliminates the moisture and won't damage the tip.
Getting leather real wet and left to soak is another story.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody:</font><hr> Thanks to all. I am going to replace it. Chris if water ruins tips, what should I do to burnish it or is the small amount of spit around the outside OK? <hr /></blockquote>

snoking
10-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Do you use a hard tip? Some times it seems like the tip flakes off if you cut it rather than use sand paper to shape it! Just an idea to prevent damaging, unnecessarily. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Troy
10-31-2004, 03:09 PM
I install what my customers request. I trim, burnish &amp; shape on a lathe. Trimming &amp; shaping is done with a sharp blade and the final shaping touch is with sandpaper.

Troy...~~~ Personally uses a Talisman Pro Soft
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snoking:</font><hr> Do you use a hard tip? Some times it seems like the tip flakes off if you cut it rather than use sand paper to shape it! Just an idea to prevent damaging, unnecessarily. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
11-01-2004, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody:</font><hr> This evening I put a new Water Buffalo tip (not a layered tip) on my cue....

As I was shaving the tip I noticed the leather was separating slightly as I shaved in a downward motion. I could hold the shaft in my hand and press on the tip with my thumb and ever so slightly move the leather. <hr /></blockquote> Sounds like a bad tip. Replace it.

BTW, all of the tips from Tweeten Fibre (Elkmaster, LePro, Triangle, among others) are non-layered Water Buffalo tips.

Fred

SpiderMan
11-01-2004, 08:32 AM
If you can press sideways/upwards/whatever on the tip with your thumbnail and cause it to "stretch" or "move", then the tip is bad and I'd replace it. The WB is normally a very hard single-layer tip.

I see very few bad WBs (actually can't remember getting a bad one), so you might want to consider how you are shaping it. It is possible that your process may have broken down the tip during the trim operation? Perhaps the Porper tool is getting dull, maybe it snags and twists the leather?

Were you using the black WB or the brown? I do see color variations in the brown, but have not associated the shade with any sort of failures.

SpiderMan

woody
11-01-2004, 08:36 PM
I did replace the tip. The defective tip was the black variety, and I replaced it with a brown tip. It is very rare to get a bad WB tip. Thanks for your points, greatly appreciated.

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2004, 10:30 PM
To coin a phrase "Good job, Grasshopper." The tip was history for cutting off when the presence of side movement jumped up, be it ever so slightly(BTW, I do not condone any fetish of trying to test with sidewall pressure unless serious doubts, it threatens good tips.) It was strange though, WB tips are rare to be less than exceptionally reliable outta the box compared to many single layered tips. I would have never felt sure of that particular tip install after the suspected thought and find of movement, any movement. The brain seems to collect an indelible memory for "bad" even if the tip is not bad, best be sure...sid