PDA

View Full Version : How much of a warped shaft vs playability?

trailboss
10-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I seen this Lucasi but it had a warped shaft. When rolled the tip raised up about a half inch. The dealer told me this would not affect playability. I am not so sure here?

Chris Cass
10-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Tell him to stick it. Then tell him I want to play some with him and he can shoot with it against me. man, I hate these idiots that try to take advantage of the pool players. It won't effect it? Baloney. You could still make balls by pointing the warp down but if it's like your talking he's nothing but a salesman trying to sell anything.

C.C.~~makes me mad enough to spit. The nerve of these non-playing yokels

JPB
10-30-2004, 10:35 PM
life is way too short to play with a lucasi with a warped shaft. In fact, I have one with two straight shafts, one a predator, and I have decided life is too short to play with it. Make offer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously, its not a bad cue, but no cue is good enough to play with that much warp, let alone a basic OK production cue.

iusedtoberich
10-30-2004, 11:09 PM
I think its possible to play well with many "cues", including crooked cues, cues with cracked sections, broomsticks, etc. But the point here is that this is a new cue from a dealer. Never accept less than perfect when buying new.

JimS
10-31-2004, 06:31 AM
The question was "will it affect playability". The answer to that question is, Of course it will affect playability! Can you still play with it? I reckon you can if you want to add a variable that will make the game much more difficult.

Don't buy that cue and dont' buy any cue from that seller. In addition tell him why you are not buying from him and if he works for someone tell them why you are not going to buy anything from them now or in the future. This will help rid of world of lying salespeople. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Popcorn
10-31-2004, 08:22 AM
A new cue should roll flat. As far as will it effect the play of the cue it depends where the warp is. If the shaft is straight and the butt or the joint is a little off it will not matter. If the shaft is warped it will most definitely effect the play of the cue.

Popcorn
10-31-2004, 08:32 AM
" Never accept less than perfect when buying new".

Perfect can be a subjective term when talking about cues. You can find things wrong with most all cues no matter who made them if you examine them closely enough. You are dealing with wood and inlays and so forth. Even a shaft that may be off a fraction can be acceptable. I had a guy buy a cue and complain the bumper had some roughness to it and wanted another bumper. Some people are a just nuts.

iusedtoberich
10-31-2004, 01:25 PM
"Perfect" wasn't the best word to use. How about "as close to perfect as is reasonable to expect for a new cue". The point is to start off with something in excellent condition. If it's going to be messed up, the BUYER should be the one to mess it up, not the seller.

BCgirl
10-31-2004, 02:36 PM
I think you should either post the dealer's name online to shame him, or Email or write to Lucasi, because dealers like this can do substantial damage to a manufacturer's reputation. Years ago, I went to a big dealer in New Jersey, and looked at a whole lot of cues, including a bunch of McDermott's. Over half the McDermotts were significantly warped. Now, I'm sure this was more to do with how the dealer handled the cues than the original state of the cues, but to this day, there is no way that I'd ever recommend a McDermott. Needless to say, I didn't buy any cue there.

When you find a cue that looks right, feels right, and hits true and straight, and when the dealer's not trying to pull a fast one, that's the one to buy. And I wouldn't even consider buying a cue from anyone that won't let you chalk it up and hit some shots with it.

Best of luck,

BCgirl

Popcorn
10-31-2004, 03:58 PM
The problem with the guys story is, he says the cue rolled off 1/2 inch. I am not sure I have ever seen a new cue roll off a 1/2 inch. It would practically be a bow and there is no way the dealer would profess it was a good cue. When you sell production cues it would be rare to find one that does not roll off just a little and this may have been the case. The dealer was not necessarily trying to pull anything, it may have been a fine cue, but just not perfect. If you had to trash every cue that was not absolutely perfect, the cue business would cease to exist, no dealer could stock any cues at all. We only have one side of the story and since the dealer has no way to defend himself it would be highly improper to post his name. People tend to exaggerate to support their side of any story and the actual crookedness of the cue in question, is in truth, completely unknown to us

sixa
10-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Every cue I have ever bought rolled straight enough that it appeared perfect to the human eye. 1/2 an inch is quite a warp, but not impossible. I've seen many a house cue roll like that. Anyhow, as stated don't buy a cue from that guy. He's trying to rip you off.

trailboss
10-31-2004, 07:18 PM
Popcorn... it was a half inch minimum..max would be 3/4 of an inch. It was bobbing all over as I rolled it! I have no problem with a warped shaft but, when the dealer won't mark it down I won't buy.

Bob_Jewett
10-31-2004, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> The problem with the guys story is, he says the cue rolled off 1/2 inch. I am not sure I have ever seen a new cue roll off a 1/2 inch....<hr /></blockquote>
Well, maybe the dealer caught his tie in the joint. But if I were trying to sell the stick any way I could, I'd make real sure that it rolled a lot straighter than that, even if it meant piling bricks on the high spot for a week. How the stick rolls (or if it is visibily straight) is the first thing even slightly knowledgeable players check for when picking out a house cue. Of course, there is the standard method of compensating for the dog-leg in the only well-tipped cue in the room, when necessary, but you shouldn't have to do that on a new cue.

Popcorn
10-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Let me get this straight, you would still have bought this horribly warped cue if the price was right?.

Chris Cass
10-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi trailboss,

Are you sure it was the shaft? I mean many things can look or mistaken for warpage. Did you have a chance to roll the shaft seperately from the butt end? When you see something like this going on you need to roll the two pieces separatly on the table. Could be a bent joint pin.

Anyway, somethings up and the discount wouldn't mean much if it was in the butt end. imo That too might be repairable. I wouldn't hold any of it against the manufacturer of the cue though. I'm sure they sent it out in good condition. BTW, I've never had a S.W. joint warp ever.

Regards,

C.C.

BCgirl
11-01-2004, 08:12 AM
My goodness! I'm shocked to hear you say that it's rare to find a production cue that doesn't roll off a little. If I was a dealer, each and every warped cue would be sent back to the manufacturer without a second thought. If they can't supply quality, and cover costs on all such returns, go to a manufacturer that does.

There is a difference between small flaws like little nicks, less than perfect inlays, and color mismatches (these you can happily accept, or discount), but a bad joint or a shaft that's not straight are not acceptable in a new cue.

While there are manufacturers whose quality is consistently high, I would certainly agree with you that there are manufacturers whose quality isn't up to par. I'm sure everyone knows some poor kid who bought an expensive cue with a good name that turned out to be junk.

I do know of one guy whose cue-finding strategy is to take every opportunity to get his opponent to put up their cue in a bet. He always has a spare cue or two, and some very nice pieces, too. If manufacturers can't sell straight cues, then maybe this is indeed the best way to shop for cues. It cuts out the dealer, but then it's a dog-eat-dog world out there :-)

BCgirl

Popcorn
11-01-2004, 05:21 PM
It is more rare for a cue to roll perfectly straight then not, no matter who made it once it leaves the shop. It is just a matter of degree and what is acceptable. A lot of the people you deal with are just idiots. They take a cue and roll it and there is just the smallest movement and they think the cue is no good. The shaft is a piece of wood and will never stay perfect. I would be more concerned about poor finish and flawed inlay work, it's an actual indication of the quality of the workmanship. Also you have to examine the grain of the shaft. If it is bad, even if the cue was to roll straight, you may have future problems and may not want the cue. There is more to evaluating a cue the just rolling it on a table.