PDA

View Full Version : rules practicing

mikeys
10-31-2004, 09:13 AM
I just joined BCA so practicing with teammates we play BCA rules. I called a guy on moving an object ball with his hand during a shot. He was mad. I also call opponents on touching the cue ball with their tip while practice stroking. Do you folks think I'm being too picky?
By the way, I really needed the BIH.

Popcorn
10-31-2004, 09:18 AM
Miss understood his post.

Billy_Bob
10-31-2004, 09:57 AM
So far as I know, it is not a foul to move an object ball which is not in play unless there is a referee presiding.

When someone accidentially moves an object ball in my BCA league, they usually point it out to their opponent and ask them if they want it moved back. But it is not a foul.

Now if the object ball was in motion from a hit and the player touched it, then it would be a foul.

So far as calling your team players on the rules during practice. Do it! In competition, other teams will be quick to call you on any fouls. So learn (and teach) to avoid fouls. BCA rules link follows...

See...
3.21 FOULS BY TOUCHING BALLS
3.25 PLAYER RESPONSIBILITY FOULS
3.29 SPECIAL INTENTIONAL FOUL PENALTY
3.40 CUE BALL IN HAND FOUL
SUPPLEMENTAL RULES -1.16.1 CUE BALL FOULS ONLY
http://www.playbca.com/rules/gen.php

randyg
10-31-2004, 09:58 AM
Moving a ball with a body part MAY NOT be a foul unless............randyg

Chris Cass
10-31-2004, 10:41 AM
Hi Mickeys,

Do yourself a favor and learn the entire rules before you start calling them on your teamates in practice. Moving a ball isn't a foul normally and depends on the circumstances. How many balls moved at one time? Was the ball moved in the path of the cb and so on.

Now, when practicing with your team mates it's important not so much where the rules come in. It's about getting to learn to play with eachother as a team. You can have 5 guys that don't miss and if they don't get along as a team well? They can lose faster than 5 guys who miss all the time. it's called cohession. Just spelled differently than I know how. LOL

Tell you a short story. There's these 5 guys awhile back. That went to a event in the BCA as a team. 5 guys that don't miss much. One guy from the team was shooting and while it was his opponents tyurn to play he stayed at the table area and was breaking down his cue. His other team mate called him over and was so mad he headbutted the guy. from then on, the only thing that went on was losing.

They took like 4th or 5th place. This particular team should have taken first in any other circumstance. They all just couldn't get along.

Try practicing getting along and helping eachother just make friends. it's very important knowing you have 4 other guys that are in the box with you. it beats having 4 other guys ready to pounce on you for any mistake. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ask about the rules not dictate them. imho

mikeys
10-31-2004, 12:22 PM
This was a foul under our Western Washington BCA rules. This was voted in by the captains and does not apply at the regional and national tournaments.
We all get along very well 99% of the time and the player who fouled actually apologized later for getting angry.
My question is would you enforce these kinds of rules in practice with buddies or let them slide?

Stretch
10-31-2004, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mikeys:</font><hr> This was a foul under our Western Washington BCA rules. This was voted in by the captains and does not apply at the regional and national tournaments.
We all get along very well 99% of the time and the player who fouled actually apologized later for getting angry.
My question is would you enforce these kinds of rules in practice with buddies or let them slide? <hr /></blockquote>

No way you can let rules slide in practice. On our team we have a lot of new members. They aren't familiar with a lot of the rules so they must learn as they play wheather it's practice or game.

As far as the unintentional moveing of balls while shooting goes. You must notify the opponent immediately after this happens. It is his choice to have the ball replaced in it's original spot(as close as possible), or if it's to his advantage to leave things as they are. It is a foul if you take the liberty of fixing it yourself without notifying your opponent, or continuing play and hopeing he didn't notice.

That's how we do it here, so everyone has to be conditioned to recognize this. That's why we call it in practice (or any other rule). St~~knows the rules, cause i've broken them all~~

woody_968
10-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Are you guys getting together for S%&amp;ts and Giggles? or are you there to practice. I assume its for practice and in that case you should call fouls just as you would in league play. It can not only set the tone for more serious practice instead of just goofing around and shooting at balls that normally wouldnt be shot at, but it makes sure that every member on the team fully understands the rules and how they should be applied.

I totally agree with CC's post, you have to gel with your team, but if your team is all on the same page they will want to practice this way.

Chris Cass
10-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi Mikeys,

Well, this is such a touchy subject for me. See, I believe in practice how you play. I have friends that will get all mad if I shoot the short rack advantage when were practicing. They'll expect me to shoot for every shot and pass those that involve the 9 ball unless it's absolutly neccessary.

They think it's all about hitting balls and not racking so much. I myself have to play that way because it'll mess you up while playing for the doe or tournament. Couldn't you see yourself avoiding getting on a combo that you normally would have from the advantage point? Mentally, you'll be passing it up in the back of your mind.

Rules being the same. For me, there's noone more critical about forcing the rules on me than myself. I refuse to not give up BIH if I mess up. I think they should feel the same way. Too bad some do not. Your on your own here my friend but from my point of view. I would atleast point it out. If you choose to let it slide for sake of team work then, that's up to you. Maybe, you need to be on another team? There's teams that just want to play for the sake of playing togather and drink beer. Then, there's teams that play only to win. Then, there's teams that play to win and have fun togather. teams or finding one that can do both, play to win and have fun are the ones I like.

FYI, there's also some team mates that feel the need to tell you what to shoot every shot. The ones that are asking why you shoot this way or ask you wouldn't have been easier to go this way? That's so much better because, it's your weekly money and you should be allowed to shoot for that right alone. I never tell my partner how to shoot or what unless, he asks for the advice. I then will tell him my views and why. This is always up to the shooter as the shooter is the only one that will find comfort in the way they will shoot with confidence. Meaning, I wouldn't expect anyone to feel more comfortable shooting a ball that is the best choice for me when their confidence is shooting another shot. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

CarolNYC
11-01-2004, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe in practice how you play <hr /></blockquote>

"Always play to win-no lazy pool"

Carol~a "Robles"rule!!!!!