PDA

View Full Version : How Much Would You Buy....PLEASE RESPOND

cookendorfernick
10-31-2004, 10:42 PM
I recently met with Mr. Mike Massey and Mr. Landon Shuffett. I had them autograph 3 billiard 5280 brand new cue balls, and a brand new Viking DeCue Cue stick (retail $310). I was curious if i should sell these items, and for how much i should sell them, or if i should keep them (either to use or not to use). Also i play quite frequently with Mr. Bucky Bell ( i dont know if many of you are familiar with him, but he is a very prominent player) and wondered if i also had him autograph my cue ball and sticks if that would also bring the value up? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks, Nick

cueball1950
10-31-2004, 11:05 PM
I would keep them. With all due respect to mike,although Mike is the most famous trick shot artist out there and landon is so young with a long way to go, i don't think that they would have all that much value in this day and age. So just hold on to them and maybe in 10 or 20 years they might be worth something

PQQLK9
11-01-2004, 06:13 AM
I think you should keep them unless you give royalties to Mike and Landon.

JimS
11-01-2004, 06:17 AM
These guys are nice enough to take time out of their life, give you what you want, for free...when there's precious little opportunity to make a buck in the pool world, and then you disrespect them by coming here and wondering how much you should sell it for?

Imo you have no soul. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Troy
11-01-2004, 08:11 AM
I think you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to make a quick buck from someone else's name !!!

Wally_in_Cincy
11-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Judging by the low turnout Saturday night I would guess there is not a huge market for your stuff around here /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nice try though /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Popcorn
11-01-2004, 10:16 AM
I regard autographs like yours as keepsakes to remind you of the meeting and create a memory. Their value to others are as far as I am concerned is nothing.

Ken_4fun
11-01-2004, 12:30 PM
This post did make me grin. I have a few items signed by players and cuemakers, etc. I really didnt think much about it until I had taken some lessons from Ray Martin in Florida. He was real hesistent to sign a cue ball for me, I didnt say much and he eventually signed the ball. I thought it was really weird and hard to understand. Later in talking to a friend of his, I understood exactly where he was coming from. A guy had Ray sign several balls, paid him nothing, and then immediately put them up for sale.

Listen, I have met and interviewed several "professional" pool players. Most have little to nothing as far as money. This includes Hall of Fame players. I feel, and while I wont speak for them, they get used.

So, getting back to your post. If you're planning on selling, send them a check. If you're planning on putting in on a shelf to admire in a gameroom (mine are BTW including the one from Ray Martin), so be it.

Regards
ken

Deeman2
11-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Nostroke,

In my many years on the CCB, on and off, that was the single best post I have ever read. Did you remove it or the Administrator. I wish I had said that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman

Nostroke
11-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Deeman- Im glad you liked it but i got cold feet. So many times i think i have had good material and it goes over like a lead balloon. I figured people would start yellin at me too. Im runnin scared on these boards.

Thanks again for the kind words

PQQLK9
11-01-2004, 04:39 PM
darn, sounds like I missed something good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris Cass
11-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Hi Nick,

I'm not going to jump down your throat as many will. I won't because there's nothing more American than making money. I will give my .02 worth and it'll be honest and it's only my opinion anyway. So, like anything else, it's worth only .02. lol

Here's the way I see it. I'm not a big fan of the autograph from the pros. I never have been unless it was of sopmething of a personal nature. I'll explain this too. I probably am this way because I see myself as one of them although, it's mainly in my mind and not my play. So, I've never really thought much of stuff like that.

I attended and played the US Open in 2002. I had a friend that loves the pros. He sees them as Gods or something. He too has a young daughter that shoot. She's a sweet lil thi ng about 8, I think? Anyway, he takes around this cue he bought for strickly signatures.

One day he came up to me and asked me if I'd sign it for him. I was floored and couldn't understand why he would ask me. I did and he explained he wanted signatures from only top players and he thought I was one. I've known him for the past few yrs and was honored he thought that way about me. He had Jamie Baraks and Jesse Bowman and a few other guys locally. He also had Jenette Lee and a few other women pros sign it.

My point, I went to the Open and got a US Open program and went around while not in my matches and had many of the pros sign it. Alex, Efren, Mika, and a slew of others. I did this as a surprise for him. When I returned from the Open I presented it to him as I knew he would love it. He did and his daughter did too. I know he has it today and would never sell it. I could care less if he did but he won't. It's a keepsake for her later to enjoy.

I myself went through some difficult surgery right before that touney and had cards signed by many friends. One friend had Tony Robles sign my card along with signatures from many women pros. Being I'm not into the signature stuff I held this in high esteem. When I was down, they thought enough of me to sign it. It helped my outlook very much.

I also receieved a cue that was not only made by Barry Szamboti but was his personal cue. This was a gift free of charge and was to help me get back to what I love to do, shoot. Barry did this out of the goodness of his heart. He also, wanted it to help me in my recovery and to be givin as a group effort from the board.

The board was very supportive but I know as well as everyone else that Barry made this cue. It was his cue. That represented him. What an honor huh? since then I was offered $2000. the first time this one guy had seen it. It goes for about $3250. on the net. Well, the one that's very close to it does.

Anyway, I paid not dime one for this cue. I was offered $300. just for the extra shaft. Today, if I had lost both the use of my arms and my legs? I would not sell this cue. Some things are sacred. I'm a simple man with simple needs. I respect the gestures of what I concider the most valuable thing this world has to offer. That's kindness and friendship.

I'm not wealthy and currently on SSI. That doesn't amount to a hill of beans with a wife and child. I also have a S.W. worth about 7 nowdays. What it comes down to is that money comes and goes. Friendship, love and acts of kindness doesn't.

I recommend that you do sell this cue. I do because I'd like the cue to go to someone who values the cue more than just a business venture. BTW, thanks for not trying to sell it here on the board. That would get a whole togather different answer from me. I don't like being that way and I appreciate that.

Regards,

C.C.

Barbara
11-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Hey!! What did you say?? Talk to me in Hagerstown!!

Barbara~~~misses Dave's smiling face... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JimS
11-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Seems like nostroke could maybe sell copies of the post he wrote but chickened out on posting it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What did the man say?....."the best post I've ever read"....or something like that?!

I'll start the bidding....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nostroke
11-01-2004, 07:34 PM
I just struck a chord with Deeman. Im sure you guys wouldnt consider it Pulitzer calibre.

Plus i know from experience once something like that is given that kind of build-up, it will always dissapoint. Might still get a chuckle from Barbara as i know she like to laugh but no way im posting it at this point.

Hagerstown? Maybe Ill come Barb and try to find some new horses. All mine seem to have retired or gone on to the big show. We shall see.

landshark77
11-01-2004, 08:22 PM
TAP, TAP, Chris.

Deeman2
11-02-2004, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> I just struck a chord with Deeman. Im sure you guys wouldnt consider it Pulitzer calibre.

Plus i know from experience once something like that is given that kind of build-up, it will always dissapoint. Might still get a chuckle from Barbara as i know she like to laugh but no way im posting it at this point.

<hr /></blockquote>

Nostroke,

I know what you mean and anything you do now can be a let down. But, Man, between me and you, that was the funniest thing I ever read. I'll not plagerize, although I want to, and you can always have it in reserve for a great laugh.....

Deeman
blown away at Nostroke's wit....

CarolNYC
11-04-2004, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One friend had Tony Robles sign my card along with signatures from many women pros. Being I'm not into the signature stuff I held this in high esteem <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmmmmm,very interesting!!!!!!

Carol

Chris Cass
11-04-2004, 01:01 PM
Oh yes,

She's got purple hair too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

jjinfla
11-04-2004, 02:19 PM
The problem with buying autographed cueballs is how do you know they are authentic?

I now have 30 signed cueballs and the rack is filled. But I will get a few more in the future.

Would I sell any of them? Probably not. Unless someone is stupid enough to give me $100 or $50 for one of them. LOL

Like Popcorn says they are momentos that mean something to me.

I did get Ray Martin to sign one. And even paid him $30. Ray plays in a lot of the tournaments but has not finished very high in the money lately. So I figure I bought him lunch. Bought one from Stepheno Pelinga the other day for $10.

But I wouldn't think of buying a signed ball from someone other than the person who is signing it in front of me.

Is Mike Sigel still asking $50 for his autographed ball?

For those of you who think paying for an autographed cueball is stupid let me remind you that it is my money. I earned it. I can do what I want with it. I much prefer doing that than pis@@@@ it away on $4.50 shots of JD.

Jake