PDA

View Full Version : Buisiness practices in pool halls

Vagabond
11-01-2004, 06:21 AM
Howdy,
Five or 6 days ago I went to Cue Club in Las Vegas.A lady working at the cash register took my driver`s license to give me the table.After finishing playing I returned the balls and left the place.later I went to a federal agency to take care of some private buisiness.The security officers asked me for my ID-Driver`s License.I could not find it.I quickly realized what happened to my license.I went back to cue club and collected my driver`s license.Next day I was in Hollywood,CA and went to Hollywood Billiards.They took my License and a credit card to give the table.I finished playing and went to the cash register to return the balls and pay.The guy at the register returned my two IDs without me asking for them.I was impressed and complemented them.
Approximately 2 years ago,on this forum, I expressed my concerns about the pool halls failing to return the Driver`s licenses upon return of the balls.I always thought that it is the responsibility of the pool hall to return the ID upon return of the balls and not of the customer to request for the return of the ID.
By the way, Hollywood Billiards is a great place to play.Cheers
Vagabond

JimS
11-01-2004, 06:59 AM
In this time of id theft being rampant I'd not like them taking either my license or credit card. And..I would not want them to give them back to me without at least asking my name or even asking for another id. Just giving the license and credit card back based on me returning balls seems like a lack of security. Or...maybe I"m just paranoid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nostroke
11-01-2004, 07:56 AM
I hate this ID thing!

If a pool room asks for my drivers license- I always say "Wow you must have a lot of thieves in here, i dont thnk i really want to play in a place like that" Then after a short discussion i leave if at all possible.
If im stuck in that town and more or less have no choice, i offer my keys or $20. If they dont take on of those, that's it-I leave- which i have never had to do.

BCgirl
11-01-2004, 08:25 AM
I'm quite amazed that a _reputable_ pool hall would ask to hold any ID. Walk-out's are an unfortunate cost of doing business, but there are plenty of ways to cut down on it. I've seen plenty of seedy dives where this is done, but the correct response seems to me to walk out and go to a more friendly place. From the female perspective, there's no way that I'm going to give any personal information out to some unknown person/business, nor even to a known business unless it's really necessary.

BCgirl

PQQLK9
11-01-2004, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BCgirl:</font><hr> I'm quite amazed that a _reputable_ pool hall would ask to hold any ID. Walk-out's are an unfortunate cost of doing business, but there are plenty of ways to cut down on it. I've seen plenty of seedy dives where this is done, but the correct response seems to me to walk out and go to a more friendly place. From the female perspective, there's no way that I'm going to give any personal information out to some unknown person/business, nor even to a known business unless it's really necessary.

BCgirl <hr /></blockquote>
It may be more common than you realize. Unless they have changed their policy, try dinning at the ESPN Zone in Baltimore.
When Mothers Billiards in Charlotte recently closed they probably had a couple dozen or more unclaimed ID's in the showcase.(us regulars did not have to post up). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nostroke
11-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Mother's had a couple of dozen unclaimed ID's and they kept up with that policy?? What creeps!

Some hunka crap that place was. I actually went way out of my way to go there once 3-4 year ago when i was in the area. They gave me a set of balls with 2 chalks. The chalk was literally falling apart with only the paper keeping it together at all. It was down to about 10% of its starting volume. When i asked for some better chalk, the guy looked behind the counter for a minute or so and then said "sorry that's all we got".

The place was old, dirty and the tables were on top of each other. Glad it closed. Was giving dives a bad name.

I have to disagree on Hollywood Billiards BTW. It was very expensive, the housecues were unplayable and they didnt rent better cues. Its about 20 minutes away, but I would recommend Hard Times in Belleflower as a better choice for a pool player.

PQQLK9
11-01-2004, 04:36 PM
I gotta agree with you on that one.(I always took my own chalk).The place was on a downward slippery slope but they closed because the city bought the property for the new Light Rail Transit System. I really miss seeing Allison,Ewa and all the other women practice there.

pooltchr
11-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Nick,
Mother's is gone, but the back room Diamond tables are now at the Green Room in Pineville. If you get down there, tell John the owner I sent you.
Steve

PQQLK9
11-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Yeah I know...I have already run up a bar tab for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vagabond
11-02-2004, 06:50 AM
Hi Nostroke,
The thought did not enter my mind.From now on that is what I am going to do.I will throw a 100$ bill on their face and if they do n`t accept it I will walk out of the place after I tell them they have a nice write up about them in the Internet.By the way Hollywood Billiards is the only place I had seen where every table in the house is three shimmed.I was staying in Hollywood in a hotel and this room was few minutes away.Bellflower was too far for mr to drive in the traffic.I am not giving my ID anymore.Thanks
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#### leonard
11-02-2004, 07:19 AM
New York State Motor Vehicle Department has a non driving indentification card, maybe that would be the answer to solving that problem without giving away any valuable info.####

stickman
11-02-2004, 08:36 AM
The owner of my favorite hall tried to do this, but the customers revolted. It was silly, because nearly all the customers were regulars and played almost daily. They didn't need my drivers license. They knew who I was and where I could be found. The customers won. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nostroke
11-02-2004, 09:04 AM
It is such a ridculous practice. Ive hung around quite few poolhalls and walkouts were rare. One place I know had none the first three years it was open.

These places to save $11 every three months or so, alienate and tell each customer" I dont really trust you". I love walking out on those places.

SpiderMan
11-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Around here, most poolrooms are also bars that serve alcohol. They will ask to see ID from everyone in a party, not just the person getting the table. It is their job to make certain that everyone is carrying proof of age. The alcoholic beverage commission does use enforcers posing as customers to bust business owners who don't check ID.

As to holding an ID, usually that is not required of "regular" customers, but often for someone they don't know who is getting a table. Some may be offended if they consider this a presumption of dishonesty, but as far as personal information is concerned you might consider that they already have it anyway, depending on whether they bothered to memorize it from the ID check.

SpiderMan

Jude_Rosenstock
11-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Checking an ID in regards to the drinking age and holding an ID as collateral are entirely different subjects. On top of that, even though you may have a bouncer who can memorize EVERY ID he sees, it's still back in your pocket. He can't take it home and switch the picture, he can't forget to give it back to you and force you to make an unscheduled return visit.

For some people, a lot of people, an ID card is VERY important. I can tell you right now that if I lost mine, I'd have a plethora of problems.

Imagine a worst-case scenario: Person flies down to Virginia to play in the US Open and decides to practice at one of the local rooms. Leaves his ID as collateral and forgets to get it back prior to leaving. At the airport, he realizes that his ID is gone and his plane leaves in an hour. The next direct flight is the following day and he needs to book a room but can't because the hotel requires an ID.

All this because once in a blue moon, some teenagers walk out on an hour of pool time and the room-owner wants to put a stop to it.

If a room-owner is concerned about walk-outs, there are far better, less intrusive ways to secure his business. The most obvious would be to have a strategically located counter and to hire a staff that is more aware of what's going on. You don't penalize your customers. That's your bread &amp; butter.

Jude M. Rosenstock

buddha162
11-02-2004, 02:47 PM
I left my ID at Hardtimes too when I went there in May. Good thing we were planning a return trip to the place before my flight leaves Long Beach anyway, or I'd be really pissed. We stayed there past the shift change at the front, so maybe there's some confusion there but still, I expect them to offer my ID back when I return the balls.

oh and btw, Hollywood billiard blows. The pockets are triple shimmed, but there were at least 30-40 holes, rips, burns in every table cloth and the cushions were bouncy and loose. The house table looked okay, but every other table was crap. And the place was expensive as hell.

Hardtimes is a much, much better room, with tight pockets and all.

-Roger

Jude_Rosenstock
11-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Funny you should mention that.. I was at Hollywood Billiards two days ago on a weekend trip to Los Angeles. I would have gone to Hard Times (and it was recommended that I do) but I didn't have the time. I noticed all the pockets were shimmed as well. The equipment wasn't in ridiculously poor shape but I did notice the rails had a few dead spots. Personally, I feel if you're going to tighten up your tables, you better make sure everything else is in good shape. Otherwise, it's virtually impossible to play the game well.

However, I would like to mention that I thought the staff was excellent. They didn't ask me for ID when I got a table. The food was top notch and the space is beautiful. As a smoker, I found their outdoor lounges perfect. Overall, I would make this room a definate must-see if you're in LA. I wasn't looking for action but from what I saw, I could have gotten some if I tried.

Jude M. Rosenstock

Troy
11-02-2004, 04:08 PM
In their defense, I should mention that normally pockets are tightened during the re-cover process. The cloth will obviously wear and so will the rail rubber, but the pockets will remain tight.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr>.....The equipment wasn't in ridiculously poor shape but I did notice the rails had a few dead spots. Personally, I feel if you're going to tighten up your tables, you better make sure everything else is in good shape. Otherwise, it's virtually impossible to play the game well.

Jude M. Rosenstock <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
11-02-2004, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jude_Rosenstock:</font><hr> He can't take it home and switch the picture, he can't forget to give it back to you and force you to make an unscheduled return visit.Jude M. Rosenstock <hr /></blockquote>

If I left without my ID, I would blame myself. In 20 years I've never done it, anywhere.

As noted, patrons always have the option of not buying. But in certain areas they'll just be bucking custom and won't find many options of other places to go. I never get asked for ID anymore because I'm a regular (actually I never get asked to pay time, either), but that wouldn't have happened if I walked away from the first visit.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Both of CJ's places hold an ID, as well as Hawleys. I left my DL at Hawleys once, forgot it, called the next day and was told that someone had reached over the bar and snatched the entire book of IDs. I was really concerned, as well as many others I bet, but what do you do after the fact. I was just happy I didn't leave my CC...sid~~~doesn't like the practice but runs a CC tab most every time, so I'm used to leaving an ID, no problems after the one time at Hawleys

datplayer
11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Last year when we were heading out to Vegas for the APA 9-ball championships, one of our teammates left his license at the pool hall. Our flight was in the early morning and he was never able to get it before we left. Don't remember what the Airport security took for ID, but he was allowed to fly. Needless to say, he didn't have a very good time in Vegas.

Our pool hall here has always been pretty good at returning IDs. They have it all set up in their computer system, and have some type of scan bar on the ball trays to check all the tables out. Also, if you don't have ID, they can hold your cue case as well.

Rip
11-02-2004, 09:42 PM
You did it again Vagabond! You slid in and out of Vegas...played where I play...and ya' didn't rob me?!#%&amp;*!? You missed a great opportunity my friend, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Next time you're at the Cue Club just tell em' you're meeting me there. They'll throw ya' outta' the place and you won't have to worry about your license!
Regards,
Rip~might be exaggerating just a skosh!

buddha162
11-03-2004, 04:48 AM
Well, let me tone down my post re Hollywood a little bit. You're right, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I spent time talking cues with the manager who apparently helped out with Tim Padget in his shop a few years ago.

The smoking lounge was definitely great, and the food was above average. But these ameneties I expect from a place that charged us $85 for an afternoon of pool and a couple of burgers (2 people!).

As for the equipment, I stand my ground. It was horrible. I looked over 5 tables, and the two we played on (after asking to be switched from the first one) were equally bad: strange, bouncy cushions, severely worn/ripped cloth, dirty balls, etc. Note that we played downstairs, as the upper level was closed at the time.

-Roger

buddha162
11-03-2004, 04:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> If I left without my ID, I would blame myself. In 20 years I've never done it, anywhere.
<hr /></blockquote>

The way I see it is, they asked for MY photo ID for insurance purposes. When I return the balls to the counter, the goal of asking and holding on to my ID has been fulfilled; I'm proceeding to pay. It is therefore THEIR responsibility to return my ID, which THEY asked for in the first place.

In any case, shouldn't they be leaving my license in the slot where the balls came out of? I'm not used to checking my ID at the counter, it's not my policy, but since it's their's they should make it a policy to return it when I bring up the balls.

Whew. Anyway, I have no problem with them asking for ID per se.

-Roger

#### leonard
11-03-2004, 06:00 AM
Jude nice to see you posting again but Stretch,Richard Cranium,BOB PERKINS And Gayle were asked to bring an excuse for Their absence. So consider yourself notified.####
P.S. how is your game?

Vagabond
11-03-2004, 06:38 AM
Hi Sid,
One time CJ`s old place did not return my Driver`s license and I drove all over the city with out license.Next day I collected it.It is gross irresponsibility on the part of pool hall management.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vagabond
11-03-2004, 06:46 AM
Hi Rip,
I thought of u but did not enquire about u because I did not know your real name.This time Ervilino did not look at me for a game.May be the word spread about me that I beg for `ridiculous` spots.17 years ago I asked Ervilino to play me even game 8 ball.(it was in New York)He dodged me and he prefered to play another guy.It was because the other guy was willing to loose moore money to Ervilino than I was willing to loose.Next time RIP..Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooldaddy9
11-03-2004, 07:31 AM
I guess it's just too simple to ask for a deposit.I miss the old days when you just hollered rack and paid the rack boy for each game.

bomber
11-03-2004, 11:21 AM
holding id's is crappy but you shouldnt have to be reminded to get your own license. on the other hand, workers shouldnt have to be reminded to give it back. its a double edged sword.

66goat
11-03-2004, 08:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> I hate this ID thing!

i offer my keys or $20. <hr /></blockquote>

I like this idea. There are too many people out there that can make your life miserable with just a little bit of personal information about you. There is no way in hell I would leave a license 'AND' a credit card. Probably 99% of the employees out there will keep your information private, but that one percent can reak havoc. Or, what about the thieves that realize the process and reach behind the counter when the kid working is hangin' with his/her buddies on the other side. Too many possibilities. Just give em' a deposit and go shoot pool. Interesting topic... Good post.