PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones in the Dakotas

Pizza Bob
11-01-2004, 01:59 PM
I have a friend who is disabled (MS). One of his passions is prairie dog hunting. As his disability progresses he needs the ability for emergency contact. Even though he's a technophobe he has finally admitted his need for a cell phone, but with the stipulation that it be functional in the boonies of the Dakotas (his primary hunting ground). Anybody on here from the Dakotas that can clue me in to which service may work best for his needs? Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: PETA members need not reply

RedHell
11-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Bob,

Have look into satellite phone, they work anywhere on the world as long as you have line of sight.

My guess is that they are very expensive but I knew someone who had one. He was often working in the forest up north, fixing and installing telecomunication antena. He was using for emergency purpose, like you described.

A quick goggle suggest that you can buy one for 1000$ and the service is 85 a minute. Note cheap but for security, you can't get better !

PQQLK9
11-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Was reading this in the Washington Post.....

How much time do you spend in rural areas? Any wireless carrier should be able to give you a sturdy signal in the mall or at a downtown intersection -- digital coverage has become almost ubiquitous in most metropolitan areas. But what about 30 miles out of town? What about a vacation house four hours' drive away?

This is why the first thing you should look at on a carrier's Web site is its coverage map. While these generally can't tell you about the annoying dead zones that only last half a mile on the highway, they should indicate where a carrier just doesn't have service at all.

How important is it that the phone work at all times? There's no common standard for wireless service, save the oldest technology of them all -- analog cellular. Analog is what gave cell phones a bad name: It kills a phone's battery life, sounds lousy and will run up massive roaming charges. But as the lowest common denominator, it may be available where digital service is not.

Only Sprint PCS and Verizon still offer phones that are analog-capable -- although some of their latest models are digital-only.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64549-2004Oct26.html

landshark77
11-01-2004, 05:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>
Only Sprint PCS and Verizon still offer phones that are analog-capable -- although some of their latest models are digital-only.
<hr /></blockquote>

Definately DON'T Get Sprint PCS. Even though the claim to work in analog, they don't. They are great in the major cities, but when I had this service I couldn't get ANYTHING down state WV away from the major interstates. I would imagine that your friends hunting ground wouldn't be any diffrent. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif