PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Cue

Fred Agnir
11-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Just wanted to share my new Andy Gilbert Cue. I'm not an inlay type of guy, so asked Andy to make for me a cue that the woods would do all the talking.

It's a 6-pt, 3 high/3 low with ABCDE rings

Ebony Forearm
Three high sharp Amboyna Burl points w/3 veneers
Three low sharp Pink Ivorywood points, no veneers

The same ebony over Pink Ivory is represented in the butt sleeve. The Amboyna is continued in the ringwork.

We agreed on a smooth black leather wrap. Andy did a tremendous job on the wrap.

I received the cue this week, and played my first match last night. Damn cue missed one shot. I'm going to have to have a little talk with Mr. Gilbert about that.

Fred <~~~ letting the woods do the talking

http://home.comcast.net/~ohagnir1/Gilbert_001.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~ohagnir1/Gilbert_002.jpg

Deeman2
11-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Fred,

You are still the equipment whore we have all come to know and love. Yes, I am jealous. Nice cue, buddy. I think the wood everywhere is great and love the wrap.

If it keeps missing, send it to me.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman

woody_968
11-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Fred, that is one sharp cue!!!!!

I dont like too many inlays either, my own cue actually has more than I normally like, but just got too good of a deal on it to pass up. Some day I hope to get my cue guy to make me one more along the lines of what you have there.

Thanks for sharing.

Jimmy B
11-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Not bad for a chick cue.

JB

JimS
11-01-2004, 07:05 PM
You are a COLD dude Jimmy B.....COLD!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This is at least the second time I've caught you saying outrageous stuff! I think we could be friends.

Fred Agnir
11-01-2004, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> Not bad for a chick cue.

JB <hr /></blockquote>I learned from my friend who only seems to buy pink and purple cues. Go figure.

Fred

Jimmy B
11-02-2004, 03:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I learned from my friend who only seems to buy pink and purple cues. Go figure.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

What's HER name??

JB

Rich R.
11-02-2004, 03:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Damn cue missed one shot. I'm going to have to have a little talk with Mr. Gilbert about that.
<hr /></blockquote>
It's obvious, the cue needs a slight adjustment. Send it to me and I'll take care of it for you. Of course, it could take some time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
11-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Hey Cuz,
Thats beautiful=it would match my hair /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
No,really, it is beautiful-good luck!
love ya,
Carol

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2004, 07:45 AM
I'd recognized those points, Andy Gilbert for sure. That's a fine looking cue! sid

Fred Agnir
11-02-2004, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I learned from my friend who only seems to buy pink and purple cues. Go figure.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

What's HER name??

JB <hr /></blockquote>

Started with a "J."

Fred

RUNaRAK
11-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Nice cue Fred! I really love my Gilbert too. The red cloth that I shot the pictures on dulls the purpleheart but I am very happy with mine. This one has two shafts too but only one is pictured. What type of ferule does Andy use, it has a look of ivory or buckhorn but I am not sure exactly what it is? I did not order mine directly, I bought it new from a dealer.
Here are some pics of my Gilbert..
http://www.jbkoontz.com/gilbert/gilbert_butt.jpg
http://www.jbkoontz.com/gilbert/gilbert_forearm.jpg
http://www.jbkoontz.com/gilbert/gilbert_joint.jpg
http://www.jbkoontz.com/gilbert/gilbert_whole.jpg

Ken_4fun
11-02-2004, 09:02 AM
I used to live in Springfield, Missouri, where Andy is located. There were several of his cues there. They play excellent and Andy would make anything you liked. I have (2) of his cues.

For a long time he wasnt well know outside the area, but he is getting pretty well known now. His work constantly is improving and rivals almost anyone.

Regards
ken

Rod
11-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Nice cue Fred. I had to wear my sunglasses to tone it down a bit. LOL JK Those shafts look a bit stiffer than a regular pro taper. Or am I seeing things again?

Rod

Fred Agnir
11-02-2004, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Nice cue Fred. I had to wear my sunglasses to tone it down a bit. LOL JK Those shafts look a bit stiffer than a regular pro taper. Or am I seeing things again?

Rod <hr /></blockquote>Your eyes aren't letting you down, Rod. There is a gradual growth in the pro taper. Closer to the orginal pro taper idea from Rambow (as opposed to the 'modern pro taper').

Fred

Jimmy B
11-02-2004, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> Nice cue Fred! I really love my Gilbert too. The red cloth that I shot the pictures on dulls the purpleheart but I am very happy with mine. <hr /></blockquote>
I loved that cue the first time I saw it, WHEN SOUTHWEST made it. I hate knockoffs; there is no reason for a skilled cuemaker to this type of thing. I know it's not your fault and the cue really is pretty but it's a dead knockoff and I don't find it the sincerest form...

JB

Fred Agnir
11-03-2004, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy B:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> Nice cue Fred! I really love my Gilbert too. The red cloth that I shot the pictures on dulls the purpleheart but I am very happy with mine. <hr /></blockquote>
I loved that cue the first time I saw it, WHEN SOUTHWEST made it. I hate knockoffs; there is no reason for a skilled cuemaker to this type of thing. I know it's not your fault and the cue really is pretty but it's a dead knockoff and I don't find it the sincerest form...

JB
<hr /></blockquote>It is my sincere hope that cue makers stop doing this. And i know in this case, the cue maker in question has reconsidered the implications of making a cue that looks just like a Southwest.

Fred &lt;~~~ great point James, as usual