PDA

View Full Version : What would you say if.....

Qtec
11-02-2004, 08:04 AM
.....you are challenged at the polls?

Would you take it as an insult if someone claims you are a felon [ whatever] and not entitled to vote.

Q

Wally_in_Cincy
11-02-2004, 08:31 AM
why do you care?

Deeman2
11-02-2004, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> .....you are challenged at the polls?

Would you take it as an insult if someone claims you are a felon [ whatever] and not entitled to vote.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Q,

I was challenged at the poll this morning. I was asked to produce a photo I.D. Unlike some, I found this acceptable, showed my I.D. then voted. I have already heard on the news of a woman who refused to give her I.D. and is threatening a lawsuit as they did not let her vote.

I would have taken it personally if someone claimed I was a felon as I have not yet crossed that bridge. I would, however, not expect to vote if I was one.

I got a bad feeling at the polls as many were having difficulty figuring out what to do, where to go...a sure sign of a high democratic turnout. I didn't see a line of lawyers as this is not considered a battleground state.

This may come down to the voting dead in Chicago. Who knows?

At least it will all be over shgortly, I hope and we can go back to worrying about the real important stuff, inside English on bank shots and the perhaps even the Dutch can get back to their own internal politics.

Deeman

Popcorn
11-02-2004, 09:23 AM
I don't think that is correct, I believe you just ask for a certain form, I forget what it is called and you can vote. Even if you don't show as being registered. They just figure it out later.

ras314
11-02-2004, 09:37 AM
It is nice to live in an area where the folks at the polls actually know the people who vote. I didn't even have to tell them my name, let alone show an Id. And I am a relative newcomer. Did have to sign for the ballot though.

Better yet a quite high percentage of the Democrats voted for Bush last election.

highsea
11-02-2004, 09:39 AM
It's called a provisional or contested ballot. I used one 4 years ago, when I was living in a precinct different than the one I was registered in.

This year I went for the mail-in ballot. Much easier to deal with, and it doesn't care where I live...

Wally_in_Cincy
11-02-2004, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
...I was asked to produce a photo I.D....

<hr /></blockquote>

I wish Ohio law required a photo ID. I have a bad feeling about possible voter fraud here at the epicenter of this whole mess.

SnakebyteXX
11-02-2004, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote>

I would take it as an attempt to mislead. Convicted felons are allowed to vote here in California - as they are in 42 other states.

Only seven states, including Florida and Kentucky, permanently bar felons from voting -- unless they successfully petition to have the right restored -- and another seven states ban some categories of felons or impose a waiting period. Most states don't allow felons on probation or parole to vote (including California), and only Maine and Vermont give felons in prison the vote.

Snake

cheesemouse
11-02-2004, 11:08 AM
This morning when I went to vote I walked the two blocks to the Poll station. I entered and no one was in line so I walked up to the desk and said "Hello, Mary. How have you been keeping yourself?" she said "Oh, pretty good Cheese(of course she called me by my real name), how have you been keeping yourself?" I replied "Not to bad, I walked over and it is pretty cold outside, there is a bit of frost on the punkin this morning but it is nice and sunny out."

She flipped a page and lined out my name and handed me my ballot. I voted

In answer to your question YES I would be offended and I would be insulted if ANYONE challenged my right to vote...