PDA

View Full Version : Cost of the War in Iraq?

SnakebyteXX
11-02-2004, 02:22 PM
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower
April 16, 1953

So far the War in Iraq Has Cost the United States
$143,145,255,750 and counting.

That amount of money could have provided more than 6,939,366 students four-year scholarships at public universities.

Cost of War (http://www.costofwar.com/index-college-scholarships.html)

pooltchr
11-02-2004, 08:22 PM
How many children for how many future generations in Iraq will be able to get an education? How many women in Iraq will be able to enjoy the freedom that you and I have had for all of our lives? How many families will not have to fear that the head of the family will be pulled from his home and murdered by a sick dictator? How much better off is the whole world with Sadam locked up?

In business, there is something called a cost/benefit analysis. It is to determine the return on an investment, but unless you are looking at the big picture, you can't see it.

I am by no means happy with the situation in Iraq. But I have to understand the long term benefits, not just the short term problems.
Steve

Popcorn
11-02-2004, 09:13 PM
You would have to subtract from that number the cost of maintaining a standing military even if nothing is going on. I think at that point you would see a much different number. Do you think we should disband out entire military and send 6,939,366 to collage? We would all be speaking German for a long time if some of these people were in charge. You also have to consider how much of it is an investment in the future.

This quote comes from the same speech

"It instilled in the free nations -- and let none doubt this -- the unshakable conviction that, as long as there persists a threat to freedom, they must, at any cost, remain armed, strong, and ready for the risk of war."

D. Eisenhower