PDA

View Full Version : Super Aramith Pro

BeanDiesel
11-02-2004, 03:13 PM
I just got a new set of SAP today and still haven't used them. i have one question. if i miscue, will i scratch the surface of the cb?

woody_968
11-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I have the SAP with the measel cue ball and have had no problems what so ever. My son hasnt really gotten into the habbit of using chalk and miscues often /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After he has played sometimes I may notice some darker spots on the cueball, but if I clean the cueball they come right off. This could be from the cheap tip on his cue.

Bob_Jewett
11-02-2004, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr>... i have one question. if i miscue, will i scratch the surface of the cb? <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, sometimes. Mostly you will see ugly dark spots on the cue ball, which I think are due to heating of the spot at the miscue.

CarolNYC
11-03-2004, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
measel cue ball <hr /></blockquote>
Hi there,
I was just down my friends pool hall yesterday and a gentlemen comes in with this cueball-I thought it would distract me, but actually, I found it very entertaining-I guess its to let people see the "spin" on the cue,if you need to use it!
Carol~usually tries to play center!

BeanDiesel
11-03-2004, 02:49 AM
yeah i notice that. especially after a failed powerful draw shots.
that mark is permenant right?

JimS
11-03-2004, 07:20 AM
One of my pool problems is that I tend to drop my left shoulder (I'm left handed) and this usually puts unwanted left spin on the shot. Practicing with the spotted ball helps me notice that I'm dropping my shoulder because I see the unwanted spin on the cb right away. Using the reg red circle cb I sometimes don't notice I'm dropping the shoulder until I've screwed up several shots. Good practice aid for me...and I had to have one....it's a googan thing /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And Carol......you'd better get used to it. You'll be using it in the TV matches you have coming up in your future. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CarolNYC
11-03-2004, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you'd better get used to it. You'll be using it in the TV matches <hr /></blockquote>

Jim,
You are definitely a SWEETHEART and inspiration! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carol~keep that shoulder solid! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

woody_968
11-03-2004, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BeanDiesel:</font><hr> yeah i notice that. especially after a failed powerful draw shots.
that mark is permenant right? <hr /></blockquote>

These are probably the marks I have seen on my cueball after my son has been playing. If they are the same, they clean off without too much trouble. There may be a small scrape left afterwards, but nothing I can notice without REALLY looking for it.

HallofFame
11-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Like Bob J. said, the ball is burned; sometimes Isotopic alcohol will remove the mark if it's not to bad.

Jude_Rosenstock
11-03-2004, 01:17 PM
As a rule, a material of a softer substance cannot scratch a material of a harder substance (ie., wood cannot scratch diamond). However, what is defined as a harder substance and what is not is subject to debate but I can assure you, the materials of a cue can do no damage whatsoever to a cueball, even if you decide to beat the ball with the butt of your cue.

There are, however, things that you may want to consider when furnishing your home room. Brick and stone-tiled floors can do damage to balls that are dropped, thrown or propelled and any damage done to a cue-ball will dramatically decrease it's integrity.

Keep in mind as well that poolrooms around the country choose to use SAP &amp; Centennials (same thing) because they last a long time and can withstand the rigorous demands of daily use. They're expensive but the craftsmanship placed in making them leads to a longer lifespan. They're weighted perfectly. They're perfectly round. They're of the hardest materials used in the industry. Most poolrooms will place their sets in cleaning-machines daily for years and will still be deemed satisfactory by most professionals (and those machines are brutal).

You needn't worry. You spent good money on a good product. It can withstand anything on a pooltable.

Jude M. Rosenstock

BeanDiesel
11-03-2004, 01:54 PM
thanks for the advice.
huh, it sure takes some courage to break/jump the ball for the first time.

Rod
11-03-2004, 02:26 PM
More like mar the surface. Anything with friction creates wear. Granted it may be infinite but it's still wear. Chalk is friction so the tip grips the c/b. The glide path into the head ball makes white track marks on the cloth, more friction. Polishing balls, yet another form of friction.

In time balls wear out especially in pool rooms. The smallest ball in a pool set is usually the one ball, it takes a beating. If you play a lot of nine ball those balls will get smaller than the rest of the set. I really wouldn't worry about a miscue there are plenty of other elements that wear out, scratch and chip balls.

Rod

Jude_Rosenstock
11-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Well, I'm sorry if this happens to add fuel to the fire but unfortunately although nothing at the table is harder than the balls you're using, the balls ARE harder than the slate you're playing on. The balls can (and will) damage the slate of the table in time. I strongly suggest removing the balls from the table when the table is not in use. Do not leave them racked overnight. Breaking will eventually create divits around the break area making it increasingly difficult to rack.

Jude M. Rosenstock

66goat
11-03-2004, 08:36 PM
I say use it and abuse it if need be. You can pick up another cue ball for next to nothing and how will you ever have any fun or learn the game if your worried about marking up your cue ball? My dad used to have two sets of pool balls downstairs; one for him and one for me. I used the old ones of course and he used the centennials, but in the end it's really about having fun.

Enjoy the game and don't worry so much about your balls.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif