PDA

View Full Version : practicing jump shots , is it a problem!

justbrake
11-02-2004, 03:55 PM
I just finished practicing on a table in the back of the poolroom ( 2-1/2 hrs. I bought a jump cue about 4 weeks ago and I put away my cue and put together my jump cue to see how it works,well it really supprised me that it jumped so well but made alot of noise but it jumped over the ball and into the corner pocket then the guy up front shut my lights off on the table then put it back on again so I packed it up and didn't shoot anymore thinking it's not ok and I didn't ask when I got to the front desk if it was ok or not, is it a problem! in your poolhall this is amsterdam billiards , I was in a tournament there where they pull out jump cues and nothing is said so did I do something that is not permitted? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2004, 04:42 PM
It may have been that it distracted the competition. A friend of mine informed me after his set in league that my popping jumps was a distraction. Otherwise, I suppose I would ask the question at the bar if it happened again without a tournament in progress. It shouldn't be disallowed if the JC is accepted in general...sid

woody_968
11-02-2004, 04:46 PM
It depends on the room you play in. In the building that I play in that has tables (I hate to call it a pool room) you could do anything you wanted on the table and the people at the front counter wouldnt even notice, let alone say anything.

In some rooms they might not say anything if you jump in a game, but dont want people hitting jump shot after jump shot for practice.

And then there are the rooms that want to ban jumping all together, with the reason that it damages the cloth.

If what you were doing is wrong or not is totally up to your room owner, you might want to ask him for future reference.

Popcorn
11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
My table looks like it was in a war from jump shots. It is OK in a game but if you do it over and over hundreds of times it will take a toll on the cloth. Get a piece of indoor outdoor carpet and a piece of old pool cloth. Layout the carpet on the table to land the cueball on and put the cue ball on the piece of cloth, then you can practice. It is not 100% the same but you can work on the fundamentals of the jump shot.

Bob_Jewett
11-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Practicing jump shots and power masse shots damages the cloth. Cloth is expensive and has to last for months, or in some rooms, years.

If you want to practice them, ask the owner when he plans to recover a table, and that you would like permission to practice jump shots on that table the week before it is recovered. The owner could even put up a sign, "OK to practice jumps on this table only, November 10-16." Like Popcorn, my home table has about a hundred tears per square foot.

Doctor_D
11-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Good evening:

Next time your room recovers their tables, ask them for a section of old cloth from one of their tables. Cut this into 12" x 12" squares, or there abouts, and place it between the Cue Ball and the table when practicing. This will help protect the table when practicing multiple jump shots.

Dr. D.

bsmutz
11-02-2004, 05:21 PM
There was a guy practicing jump shots the other day at the PH where I play. He had a scrap of cloth under the cue ball and was jumping into the pocket. That way he didn't have to worry about protecting where the ball landed.

justbrake
11-02-2004, 06:08 PM
In some rooms they might not say anything if you jump in a game, but dont want people hitting jump shot after jump shot for practice.

And then there are the rooms that want to ban jumping all together, with the reason that it damages the cloth.

If what you were doing is wrong or not is totally up to your room owner, you might want to ask him for future reference. <hr /></blockquote>

The guy didn't say anything to me and I don't know how he picked me out where as he was about 150 ft. away but the lights went out for a minute and back on but he never mentioned it to me so I didn't ask if it not allowed , to me I don't think jump shots should be allowed in games but they look awfully nice showned with a camera above when viewed , it looks as if the cue was on the table all along and nothing was changed thats what I like about it! anyway that guy that was there today isn't usaully on when I go so I'll ask the next time about it to who I know better ,I just thought that I would ask here first. Thanks

houseman
11-02-2004, 06:08 PM
I don`t allow practicing jump shots or masse shots in my room but I do allow it in tournaments or in action matches. 90% of my players have enough trouble pocketing balls the normal way, But they are getting better all the time. I go out in the room and help people when I can.

Sid_Vicious
11-02-2004, 10:27 PM
"Practicing jump shots.....damages the cloth."

It does spot a cloth a little,,,damage? that's up to the beholder(imo.) I see way more signs of practice breaks injuring cloth than jump shot affect it, and I practice jumps a lot, anywhere. Jumps sound stronger in report than most practice strokes, I simply feel more of the reason owners would allow the shot in a match and not as a practice routine, is that the are over reacting to the newness of it all. I suppose you could have idiots trying jumps the wrong ways and damaging cloth, but not a tournament player of a moderately respected regular of any speed. All my opion, mind you...sid

Chris Cass
11-03-2004, 03:13 AM
Hi Sid,

I think you touched something here. This is the way I see it. My boss however sees it another way. When I'm working and a reg comes in that starts practicing the jump shot. I don't mind it so much. The time of the practice means everthing and the table for which it's being used on.

If it's a Fri night and the place is packed. Then, even though I know the guy can shoot some and I don't fear him or her ruining the cloth. It tends to get other non playing customers trying to do it too. It like breeds.

I do and don't like them practicing the jumps. First of all I think it's respectful if a player comes up and asks if he can practice his jump shots. I'll then tell them on which table to do it on. I won't allow even the reg to practice their jump shot on newly recovered cloth. That's a no no. If I have a table that's due for reclothingthen, I don't mind if they practice their jumps.

Others kind of get out of hand as they start jumping after watching it being done and basically just start treating the equipment like crap. Like the jump is one thing and then they'll start throwing the balls around and slamming stuff. I hate that mostly.

I usually will recommend a bar table that's cloth is wore down to the point of needing recovering. I don't care to let them do it on the 9 fters though. Even worn cloth. I rent the 9 fters out to many players that don't want to practice their jumps. So, I try to keep these tables in the best condition possible.

We sell jump cues too. I like to let players use whatever cue they're thinking about buying from us for about an hr if they want. Not just take a few shots. I want them to feel comfortable in knowing they like the hit of the cues they're interested in. Many times I'll let them shoot fopr free while this is done. Even if it's 45 mins. I want them to be able to fully judge the cue they're thinking of investing in. Many of these cues are a couple hundred or more. They need to be happy. imho

I think if anyone wants to practice their jumps. They should just walk up to the counter and simply ask if there's atable they can use to practice their jumps on. It saves the embarrassment of someone turning the lights on and off or even the counter man announcing it publically. That is the worst feeling to feel for anyone. Like they did something wrong and have to be reminded.

I when seeing someone start jumping and the novice especially. If I see them doing it half a$$ or not knowing how and just continue to slam the table. I'll walk up and immediately they'll think, "Ut Oh". I don't walk up and start in on them but rather teach them how to, legally and give them a incentaive to know they're doing it the right way. This is taken the right way and there's no hard feelings. Lot of them feel they got treated with respect.

The big thing nowdays is the trick shots. I see more kids trying to do trick shots they've seen on ESPN and haven't a clue of how to do them. They'll set them up close but won't have a clue as to what english or sometimes even the speed to make it.

I know a few so, I'll show them something that they can learn and make that will impress their friendfs instead of trying something that doesn't work. I don't know them all so I think if they learn a few I do know? They'll walk away with the feeling that they've done something. It keeps the interest up and they look at the counter man as something other than the guy that just wants to jump(no pun) down their throat. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~just my humble opinion

Sid_Vicious
11-03-2004, 07:42 AM
"I won't allow even the reg to practice their jump shot on newly recovered cloth"

I won't dot up a nice new cloth with practice, but those only come into the pool halls I play in dibs and dabs, so "battle worn" cloth is prevalent.

What is threading? You mentioned that term, I'm not up on the meaning, sorry. All I have personally done myself is mark with a white dot, and even those have not been noticable on the Diamonds I've hit on when I returned on other days, I've looked. This is off of the subject but I get more pissed at my PH when they allow patrons to actually sit on the rails, some big fat people too! If a place is truly protective of equipment, then "save the rails."

In all honesty, the jump isn't an attraction to the general shooter here yet anyway, so practice isn't really a big deal. I do it, and have never been stopped, except by competing players on adjacent tables.

I have to admit though that when a new cloth is put down, expecially Simonas on a Crown 9' table, I will bounce several jumps just to see how the cloth take the air. Caught me!!!sid

Perk
11-03-2004, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious Simonas [/quote:</font><hr>

Thinking about Coronas so soon in the week.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
11-03-2004, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good evening:

Next time your room recovers their tables, ask them for a section of old cloth from one of their tables. Cut this into 12" x 12" squares, or there abouts, and place it between the Cue Ball and the table when practicing. This will help protect the table when practicing multiple jump shots.

Dr. D.
<hr /></blockquote>

Bob Byrne mentioned that in one of his books.

Unfortunately, for serious jumping practice, it is detrimental to the learning process because it has a profound effect on how the cueball jumps. I'm with Sid, jumping practice is for tables soon to be re-covered.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
11-03-2004, 07:51 AM
"He had a scrap of cloth under the cue ball and was jumping into the pocket. That way he didn't have to worry about protecting where the ball landed."

I can't imagine that the hit upon the jump stroke with the extra cloth underneath mirrors the true "nakedness" of the regular condition of the table w/o the pad. I've worked with protection just a little and it just doesn't work like it should. It'll jump given 2+ balls width, but closer-up shots react miserably for me. It just ain't the same...sid

Bob_Jewett
11-03-2004, 08:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Practicing jump shots.....damages the cloth."

It does spot a cloth a little,,,damage? that's up to the beholder(imo.) ... <hr /></blockquote>
I think it depends on the shooter, a little, and on the shot being played. In this case it is a beginner just learning how to use a jump cue. I've seen plenty rips and tears from attempted jumps and the phony phenolic tips increase the risk.

justbrake
11-03-2004, 09:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Practicing jump shots.....damages the cloth."

It does spot a cloth a little,,,damage? that's up to the beholder(imo.) ... <hr /></blockquote>
I think it depends on the shooter, a little, and on the shot being played. In this case it is a beginner just learning how to use a jump cue. I've seen plenty rips and tears from attempted jumps and the phony phenolic tips increase the risk. <hr /></blockquote>

"hold up big BOB'" I might be a beginner @ a jump cue, but it did everything the first time around for me(jumped like a right over the ball and into the pocket)(I could't believe it myself)can you say that for your first try? and I'm no beginner at pool, I do have the magic touch and control, dam i'm really good at this! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-04-2004, 07:30 AM
You are correct. I cringe when I see an obvious banger go verticle attempting a Mike Massey masse, the jump, done ugly would also. I'm fortunate in that the jump hasn't really gotten addictive yet. Thanks...sid

Ives
11-04-2004, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr> the guy up front shut my lights off on the table then put it back on again so I packed it up and didn't shoot anymore thinking it's not ok and I didn't ask when I got to the front desk if it was ok or not <hr /></blockquote>

You probably should of just asked him up front, it could of been a simple case of he turned the wrong lights off when someone else was done playing, then realized his mistake and turned them back on. Either way, the only way to know for sure is to ask. Just be polite when asking and it shouldn't be a problem. I would think if it was a real problem that they would of just come back and talked to you about in person, its kind of hard to interpret what lights turning off and on could mean. Also if a pool hall doesn't allow certain things on there table than these rules should be posted somewhere.

Bob_Jewett
11-04-2004, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote justbrake:</font><hr>
"hold up big BOB'" I might be a beginner @ a jump cue, but it did everything the first time around for me(jumped like a right over the ball and into the pocket)(I could't believe it myself)can you say that for your first try? <hr /></blockquote>
Well, OK, you have a knack for it, but imagine an owner who has just put new cloth on his tables at $400 each and he sees someone who has never shot jump shots before excitedly approaching a table with his brand shiny new jump stick. If you were that owner, how would you feel about the situation? If you were the guy working the counter, and you really needed to keep this job, and you knew how the owner felt about these "new-fangled pieces of jump gargage," what action would you take?

Lots of players trying jump shots and masse shots for the first time go at it like they're killing snakes. I call as my witness the tables used for demos by Frogger and Bungee at the next trade show.

Chris Cass
11-04-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi Sid,

I don't know what threading is either? I don't remember using that term. lol

Sitting on the rails. That's a toughy. I don't let anyone sit on the rails regardless of what or whos pool room I'm in. I know it's rather brash but that's me. There are some shots that require while playing that one must perch themselves on the rail. I know some will know this. Especially, the short guys like me and perhapsRIP. Although, he towers over me or it just could be I think of him as a Godlike figure. lol

Weight of a person means nothing to the equation. The rail cushions are only held togather by glue. I had to tell a lil 98 lb girl the other night not to sit on the rails. I was nice about it. I first asked her if she wouldn't mind not sitting on the rail. I said, even though she ;ioght as a feather the rails are weak and our table guy only comes in once a yr. lol

The burn marks or dots as long as they're spread out don't look bad. The cloth will develope these over time anyway. It's the series of dots in one particular area that looks bad. I don't recommend anyone dril any shot in the same spot everytime. it's all too easy to wear a path or section of the cloth. The jumps will weaken the cloth if done in one area for an extended period of time.

Nothing wrong with jumping on any table as it is a part of the game. Even new Simonis cloth. The bottom line is that while the owner is nice enough to care about changing the cloth for us I feel the need to let him see it look nice for atleast 3 mths before going to town on it. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~threading????